Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Aye, but did the other riders observe the mudguard rule :D

Was just disappointed that no one stopped to give me a hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bloody freezing this morning. I should have put on my overshoes as my toes were frozen. I didn't encounter any ice, but this was the first morning that I was concerned for it. Very wary of off road cycle lanes this time of year so I tried my best to avoid them where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

P_1 wrote: »
    115km on the Fatbike. Up the Dodder and a few loops of the reservoir, then up the high road above the reservior and that ouch of a climb up to Black Hill. Up and around the fireroad and a few more laps of the reservoir. Home via Cunard and out to Bullock Harbour.

Absolutely shattered!

https://www.strava.com/activities/788172343

115kms on a Fatbike?? and over 800 metres of climbing!
    That's some going.
    You're some man for one man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Topped up my Explorer map coverage this morning from 11x11 to 15x15 solid square :) Squares are 1x1km and you just have to visit them once:

402937.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/791253496/segments/19332159920

map is generated by Veloviewer.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

First spin in 4 months, how bad is that....
    118k @22.4

https://www.strava.com/activities/792345344

Dirty enough weather, drizzly etc.

Rapha Winter Hat, first long spin. Grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

First spin in three weeks. 100 metres, shuddered and went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Maiden outing on MTB today, group of us from the club went down to Bikepark Ireland today for a bit of a Xmas outing and change of scene, most of us were newbies to that discipline but a good day was had by all and the main thing is we all went home in one piece.

I found it a big learning curve, mainly just getting used to the bike, brake were the opposite way round to what I'm familiar with and it took me a while to figure out the gearing, but after a while stumbling around the pump track got enough confidence to chance the beginner run downhill, it does bring a smile to the face....

It felt a bit strange getting the lorry up the hill so we decided to ride up the enduro climb, as much to get used to the bikes a bit more as anything, that was a toughie, I know why the lorry is there now:D

Finished the day with a few runs down the blue trail, a great buzz but felt it best to leave anything more ambitious to the next day.

All in all a very enjoyable day out, we were very impressed with the setup down there, a great introduction to MTB for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Chuchote wrote: »
    Eh?

It was in reference to a pic in his Strava. Copied, which I hope is OK.

29vnlsl.jpg

On topic, was happily tootling in and out of work this week before work and "presentations" got in the way :/ About 59km done.

I do miss my "Summer climbing" before work though.

Hope to do the Santa cycle tomorrow too, and there is a huge part of me just wants to head out all day tomorrow dressed as santa. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It was in reference to a pic in his Strava. Copied, which I hope is OK.

29vnlsl.jpg

Ahhhh. It's one of those sheep they bred for mountains, so they could get the EU grant because they fattened faster: when they got to one side of the mountain the other head simply took over and graced its way back, then switch again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Alek wrote: »
    map is generated by Veloviewer.com

Where do you generate it from? I cant find it anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

godtabh wrote: »
    Where do you generate it from? I cant find it anywhere
    It's in the activities tab and tick the explorer check box on the right hand side under the map

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

oconnpad wrote: »
    It's in the activities tab and tick the explorer check box on the right hand side under the map
    I didn't know about that feature. I'm currently showing a 12x14 grid roughly going from Skerries across to Rathoath, down to Palmerstown and over to the North Bull Island.

If I make one journey over to the south of Palmerstown around an area called Coldcut, it will give me a full new line across.

I sorry I saw this now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

oconnpad wrote: »

Also never found that feature, looks well worth actually paying them the tenner now, just need to remember the login for my paypal account :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just the 50km this afternoon. Out to Portmarnock, through the golf course, down the Velvet Strand (not fun when the tide's in) and a little climb from the Martello Tower in Sutton. The missing link of the S2S cycleway is looking well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/793504288

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

P_1 wrote: »
    Just the 50km this afternoon. Out to Portmarnock, through the golf course, down the Velvet Strand (not fun when the tide's in) and a little climb from the Martello Tower in Sutton. The missing link of the S2S cycleway is looking well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/793504288

Nice pics again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday:. Killenagh to Kilmuckridge, Blackwater, curracloe and as far as the main road just outside Wexford town. That coastal road is a lovely spin , meandering roads, little sshrp climbs, drags and descents, views of the sea. And because of that , came back the same route :).
    63 km Avg 24kph.

Today: Headed to ballygarret, around to Kilmuckridge, out by Wells to main road, took right turn off main road to ratheenduff and on to Oulart. Back on to main road and took the second road into Kilmuckridge and back to house.
    40 km Avg 24.5 kph.

Just noticed I'm at 4,951 km for the year. No commuting , had hoped to hit 5k km for the year should hit it now :) , hope I'm not tempting fate !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

106km today with the usual drama of lunatic drivers and a puncture after starting out for one of the lads. Nice steady pace and landed with an avg of 28.4 so felt pretty relaxed after it.

I have been using the Charge Spoon saddle last 3 weeks and have been delighted with it, vest saddle I have used so far and must get one for the TCR in the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got to meet Sean Kelly yesterday at the official opening of the bike shop in Trim. I was quite smitten. I decided I was going for a right good spin today in honour of the King.
    Up and rearing to go at 8 this morning, shorts, legwarmers gloves, the whole lot on and then I get reminded we have some Mass thingy for mini Daroxtar so off with the gear and away to church :(
    At least I'll get out for a spin after that.
    Nope. Lunch was seemingly booked for after the mass.
    Sean Kelly never had to put up with this kind of outrage.
    So there was only one thing for it. Zwift.
    I did the Full Pretzel route. I thought I'd done it before but obviously not. I just did the first part the previous times.
    It's a pure pig of a route. Tried to keep it steady but you know what happens when you see someone just ahead, you just have to try and catch them. I was utterly fked by the time I completed it. Probably a much tougher spin than if I'd gone out earlier.
    73km, 1363m climbed in 2:35:48 all from the relative safety of the kitchen.
    It felt like every inch of it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/793602342

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Headed from Ratoath towards Kilcock, onto Clane and Nass. Plan was to get to Blessington and back down the N81 for a longer than usual spin. 2k out from Naas the sign said 8k. Quick calculation meant I wouldn't make it home , so took a left towards Kill. Once I got to Newcastle I knew my way home. 100K on the nose, cold, but felt ok except for the last 10k or so as I had not stopped for coffee/ banana. Happy to be out although not the most inviting weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

73 km yesterday with the club, feeling good at moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/794972992

This is what I should have done yesterday, but took a wrong turn and did this:

https://www.strava.com/activities/794123530

Still got a bit lost before I got to Stamullen, but found my way ok from there. Yesterday was drier and cooler. Today I had too much gear on and had to remove my buff at Naul and didn't really need my thick lobster mitts either. My new Castelli tights and jacket are really good so I was comfortable and warm for both spins, but the wind today was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Still got a bit lost before I got to Stamullen, but found my way ok from there....
    Presumably you intended to turn right at the crossroads at the bottom of the Snowtown descent?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Would appeciate some advice on something.

I cycle inbound on the rock road every day. I always see the same kid on a bmx, these days hes no hi-viz or lights.

He also doesnt wear a helmet.

I've said it to him a few times, he's very well spoken but he just says his mum says he doesnt have to wear one.

I'm tempted to ask the Gardai at the embassy to have a word, i just cannot believe a parent is sending him out without any safety gear.

Am i out of my mind?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Am i out of my mind?

This is a wind up isn't it.

None of your business mate...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Shorts, short-sleeve top on the cycle in today and no gloves. Crazy warm out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

RobFowl wrote: »
    This is a wind up isn't it.

None of your business mate...

No its not, I'm sorry but i just dont find it acceptable that a parent sends a kid out on probably one of the more dangeours routes in Dublin without any type of safety gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Shorts, short-sleeve top on the cycle in today and no gloves. Crazy warm out there.

Yep, and battling against the wind didn't help cool me down on my cycle into work either. Hopefully it stays the same direction and I won't have to pedal on the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

N7 was utter chaos this morning, hardly any movement at all. Didn't bother me though as I glided past the plebs on my trusty steed! Where's the feelin' smug emojii?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No its not, I'm sorry but i just dont find it acceptable that a parent sends a kid out on probably one of the more dangeours routes in Dublin without any type of safety gear

Neither are compulsory and its up to the individual or parents to make that call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Would appeciate some advice on something.

I cycle inbound on the rock road every day. I always see the same kid on a bmx, these days hes no hi-viz or lights.

He also doesnt wear a helmet.

I've said it to him a few times, he's very well spoken but he just says his mum says he doesnt have to wear one.

I'm tempted to ask the Gardai at the embassy to have a word, i just cannot believe a parent is sending him out without any safety gear.

Am i out of my mind?

He is probably safe enough. Most kids I see on BMXs have far superior bike handling skills to me. They are usually very fussy about looking after their bikes too so he is probably a lot safer than the kid with helmet, hi vis and lights on a poorly maintained bike.

Although no excuse for not having lights these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement