Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's probably not cool to have lights on a bmx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

No its not, I'm sorry but i just dont find it acceptable that a parent sends a kid out on probably one of the more dangeours routes in Dublin without any type of safety gear

The reason hi-viz, helmet, lights and bell are so necessary is that we don't have proper infrastructure. But if you're worried about the kid, could I suggest that you buy a luminescent reflective gilet, front and back lights and fittings, a helmet and a bell, package them up and give them to him when you next see him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he'd probably react by saying 'that's not cool daddio, i don't jive with your wack style'.
    (this is how young people talk these days).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Chuchote wrote: »
    The reason hi-viz, helmet, lights and bell are so necessary is that we don't have proper infrastructure. But if you're worried about the kid, could I suggest that you buy a luminescent reflective gilet, front and back lights and fittings, a helmet and a bell, package them up and give them to him when you next see him.

Then duck as he throws them back at you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

he'd probably react by saying 'that's not cool daddio, i don't jive with your wack style'. (this is how young people talk these days).

At least your's talk. Haven't seen my teenagers faces for several years , just an electronic glow!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

RobFowl wrote: »
    Neither are compulsory and its up to the individual or parents to make that call.

Agree.

It just baffles me that a parent would chose not to equip their kids with this stuff.

tbh if he was cycling on the footpath i wouldnt mind, but he's a bad ass and is cycling on the road :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

he'd probably react by saying 'that's not cool daddio, i don't jive with your wack style'.
    (this is how young people talk these days).

On the groove, habibi.

I don't like to raise a delicate question, but it's possible that the youth in question is not telling the absolute truth. There may be helmet, lights, bell and viz hidden behind a hedge close to home for him to attire himself before cycling up the drive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Detour on the way home.
    One less hassle........and a few streakies :)

Christmas%20Ham_zpsmoo3zi3b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Chuchote wrote: »
    On the groove, habibi.

I don't like to raise a delicate question, but it's possible that the youth in question is not telling the absolute truth. There may be helmet, lights, bell and viz hidden behind a hedge close to home for him to attire himself before cycling up the drive.

Reminds me of the amazing cycling helmets I see sometimes these days.

You remember the invention a couple of years ago of a self-inflating helmet yoke, that you wore around your neck like a scarf and it would automatically inflate into a helmet if you fell off?

They've gone one better now. They've invented a helmet that you hang from your handlebars, and in case of emergency it flies onto your head. Great stuff altogether.

(the funny thing is how many of these cyclists you'd think would be old enough to just say "I don't want to wear a helmet!", but no, off they go with the helmet on the handlebars, presumably wearing it as they leave the house and taking it off around the corner...)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

38.4km today, manky after it from the road.

Check out my ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/796991509/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1481213814

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

51km today, back on the roadie, impressed with my power levels going up some ramps. Lunatic hills on a Fatbike are seemingly good for your climbing legs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/797121256

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RayCun wrote: »
    ... They've invented a helmet that you hang from your handlebars, and in case of emergency it flies onto your head. Great stuff altogether....
    They've also invented another one which is often seen in city centres - it sits on your head with the strap undone. Presumably there's a sophisticated hidden mechanism within which will suddenly tie the strap should one's body suddenly become tilted beyond a certain degree.

(I'm reminded of my motorcycle loving younger brother who like to carry his helmet around on his arm when out riding on fine days).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cyclist down :(

just at the coffe kiosk on pembroke road heading towards baggot street.

Not sure what happened as i didnt see a car parked at the scene, but had a head injury with lots of blood but was awake so hopefully its just superficial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Nasty experience with a punishment pass last night on the way home from work. Closest I've ever experienced, and a car pulling out on my left meant I'd nowhere to go. Ruined my commute home I can tell you :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cyclist down :(

just at the coffe kiosk on pembroke road heading towards baggot street.

Not sure what happened as i didnt see a car parked at the scene, but had a head injury with lots of blood but was awake so hopefully its just superficial

Second one in a week. There was a cyclist down just after the kiosk on Northumberland road on Monday. Lots of cars will abruptly turn into the bus lane to take the left onto Pembroke road. Too many cyclists don't take the lane there and I've seen it cause issues in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/797697070

79 Km out to Howth and around some back roads home. Had just passed Jordanstown Reservoir on a quite narrow road and a red van came towards me without any sign of slowing down. I kept as far left as I could - to avoid being milled out of it - front wheel went into soft slimy crap at edge of road (luckily after van had passed) and I hit the road. Pr1ck didn't slow down at all or even seem to see me. Sore knee and rip in my (new) tights. Not a good end to a nice enough spin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

https://www.strava.com/activities/797697070

79 Km out to Howth and around some back roads home. Had just passed Jordanstown Reservoir on a quite narrow road and a red van came towards me without any sign of slowing down. I kept as far left as I could - to avoid being milled out of it - front wheel went into soft slimy crap at edge of road (luckily after van had passed) and I hit the road. Pr1ck didn't slow down at all or even seem to see me. Sore knee and rip in my (new) tights. Not a good end to a nice enough spin :(

That sort of carry on would p1ss ye off no end. Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Club race today. My first race. I only got home at 5am from Tenerife so 2 hours sleep. Physically no problem, mentally I was too tired. Poor positioning.
    Still, great buzz. Finished in the bunch.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/798475530

Very happy, only started back cycling in the last week of June after 2 years off the bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ton up and nearly 33kph for the club spin (did bit extra on me todd).
    Lovely day for it and lots of cyclists out in NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have been chatting with a different group of people over the last two weeks, and one of them cycles mountainbikes so conversation drifts that way every now and again.

So, having one gathering dust in the back of the shed, and a distinct need to clear the head, I decided to dig it out, pump the tyres etc and go out for a spin along the canal.

Just after going through the gateway onto the canal bank, I see a phone (an iPhone at that) lying on the ground. Surprisingly, no security pin or fingerprint set up on it, so I go to recent calls and dial someone who called about an hour previously. Lovely conversation with the wife of some fellow out for a cycle with his friend. Gave the friend a ring, and he answers, they are a couple of km further along the bank in the direction I was going so I tootled off.

Reunited with the phone, had a nice short chat with them, wished them well and continued on my way.

I have no idea what kind of planetary arrangement caused our circles to meet like that, but it was great to give the mind something completely different to focus on.

Similarly, no gps or technology with me and a completely different bike to cycle made for a very enjoyable couple of hours on a very nice day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Idleater wrote: »
    I have no idea what kind of planetary arrangement caused our circles to meet like that.

The spirit of Christmas (and you must have been dragged up well).😇

Idleater wrote: »
    Reunited with the phone, had a nice short chat with them, wished them well and continued on my way.
    i once dropped the car key in the phoenix park (not cycling though) and 45 minutes later realised the mistake - went back to the most obvious place where i might have dropped it, and while obviously searching for something in the grass, a jogger passed and shouted out 'skoda key?'; my reaction was clearly confirmation and he lobbed it to me and jogged off without a further word. what a legend. he could have been doing circles for 45 minutes waiting for the owner to turn up, for all i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

i once dropped the car key in the phoenix park (not cycling though) and 45 minutes later realised the mistake - went back to the most obvious place where i might have dropped it, and while obviously searching for something in the grass, a jogger passed and shouted out 'skoda key?'; my reaction was clearly confirmation and he lobbed it to me and jogged off without a further word. what a legend. he could have been doing circles for 45 minutes waiting for the owner to turn up, for all i know.

Skoda key? And he ran off ? Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Those last few posts remind me that I lost my wedding ring sometime in the past few weeks. The only problem is that I can't narrow it down to any time or place as I get around a fair bit. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My then-girlfriend lost the engagement ring during a big gig, when we were standing near of the stage. I started looking for it on my knees, as we were more or less stationary, and despite roaring music the word got around and people started to search the ground... even some flares were lit to help!... then I saw something being passed overhead from quite afar, hand to hand above the crowd, it was the ring itself :) All this without saying a word!

rushfan wrote: »
    Skoda key? And he ran off ? Why??
    yes, my car key. he threw it to me and kept jogging without another word.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First (and probably only) time mountain biking in Bike Park Ireland.

I was scared ****eless most of the time descending. I enjoyed the trail up. Only fell off a couple of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nice morning for a meandering low intensity endurance spin, scrambled eggs, toast and bacon washed down with a couple of Americano's, long may the relatively dry weather continue!

nice evening for a spin, timed it perfectly to get the sunset coming down off howth head and heading back in on the coast road.
    at one point, i passed a young chap performing an impressively long wheelie, going the wrong direction in the bus lane on the malahide road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

70km up to Rathbeggan Lakes following the Tolka. Roughly followed the Liffey back. Cracker of a day for it, bit annoyed my hangover didn't allow me to get up earlier and have more sunlight to do more distance though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/799739694

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement