Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

RobFowl wrote: »
    Off road fun around Ardgillan with VCB, found Stano's achilles heel too...

Where is good around there to ride? I live close by and want to get my MTB up and running again. Do you have any routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from house to ballyedmund, boolavogue and on to The Harrow, Ferns and headed for Camolin, Clogh, Gorey. Out old n11 to redmond a garden centre, right turn for Ballymoney, on to courtown, coast road back to Ballygarrett, killenagh and home.
    62 km Avg 25.5 kph. Per old computer. Went to pub and uploaded to strava.
    The Garmin recorded 61.5 km with an Avg of 25.3 No broadband down here !. I'll have a rest tomorrow and get back out on Friday down here and hopefully on Saturday in Dublin before heading to a new years eve wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭G1032

So out today for a short spin. 3rd day in a row which on the face of it seems like no big deal, but I've basically been off the bike since the end of August with knee pain.

10 days or so before the Giant's Causeway Sportive I was due to take part in I got this absolutely excruciating pain in my right knee while on a club spin.Had to call the cavalry to get home!! :o

Long story short...... Physio x2, Doctor, Osteopath and MRI all said the knee itself seems fine but yet none were able to diagnose the issue.

Seems though that tight muscles in the hip area are referring pain to the knee. Foam rolling and stretching over the last month have at least got me back on the bike now. It's slow and I've lost all my fitness but I'm out and about again. Did 26km on Monday and 33km or so yesterday and today. Was knackered after yesterday's spin.

Long road ahead I think!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/813760525

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

smacl wrote: »
    Front mech is pretty simple, in that you've got the spring in the mech acting against the tension of the cable. If the issue is dropping into the small ring, this means the spring isn't able to do its job. Could be due to minor obstruction such as gunk between cable inner and outer causing drag, or a tiny kink in the cable. Reducing the cable tension might fix this, but if you have a bit of time I'd replace the cable inners and outers. Can happen with an old chain too, in that lateral movement on the chain allows it to get pushed without shifting.

Excellent advice, cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Busting for a pee I locked my bike outside a coffee shopl, came out to find the **** kicked out of my bike, I was gone less than 3minutes and they tried to break the lock by kicking the bike. No real damage apart from my pump and some scratches. Fudging infuriating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Haven't ventured outside in a number of weeks and started making friends with my turbo. Broke out today and after a very early coffee stop I headed to Gunny hill and stocking lane to see what my hills were like.

Went up until I couldn't climb any more (totalled about 2km at 7%) then turned around and did another 15km or so. Have a base now to target and beat as I train for SARC in April.

About 35km all in 1:35, now to improve both distance and time. Makes some change from the flat 60-70km spins around NCD and Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First spin on the recent purchase, went well but will need to drop some weight on the wheels

36km @25kmph

DSC_2232_zpsxpobfzzh.jpg

Busting for a pee I locked my bike outside a coffee shopl, came out to find the **** kicked out of my bike, I was gone less than 3minutes and they tried to break the lock by kicking the bike. No real damage apart from my pump and some scratches. Fudging infuriating

Sorry to hear, useless fcukwits up to no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

My usual little spin; stopped by the Dodder to admire her beauty, and a huge skein of geese - perhaps 50 - crossed far overhead, chatting happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

Went out for a spin with the lads from the club, it was supposed to be leisurely. However, we were all obviously in good form and sped along at a good pace as you might do come spring, but the weather too was very spring like too, this must have been part of the reason. It felt good!

It was a 60K ride, I think I might stick to this distance more this coming year, as I often do 80-100 where I have to pace myself more which is good, but fast is fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Jeez! Coffee shop staff!

Did you lock the bike to one of their outdoor tables or something?...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Don't normally post about club spins but yesterday's was special. Not because it was my 60th for the year or that I was on a tandem but because I broke my 10k target. The precise location was halfway up Balscadden Hill on the way back to Swords with Tom, my "stoker", putting down some serious wattage.
    A few kms later, we celebrated Wardie, our touring guide, reaching 15k, most of which was generously leading club rides in NCD, Meath and Kildare.
    My 10k was made up of about 6,500 on club spins, 1,300 on sportives, 1,200 on the Hospice Cycle and guiding, and just 1,000 on solo spins. Joining a great club like Swords really helped as did retiring in 2015. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I took the bike out a couple of days ago for the first time after getting a lift home from Malin Head in early summer '16. Did a short 20K with a bit of the Scalp in Slieve Aughtys. Really enjoyed the spin and looking forward to more. Maybe get out again tomorrow early for another hour or two. Beautiful weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't normally post about club spins but yesterday's was special...
    ...and I managed to sleep in for it! :(

Well done on the 10k.

(Spotted you two on the tandem crossing the M1 around 2pm :)).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you do realise you can only count 50% of the distance if it's done on a tandem?

Up to ballyedmund, left turn on main road to castlebridge, on towards wexford town , left turn on to coast road to curracloe, Blackwater, kilmuckridge, home.
    54 km
    Avg 26.2 kph

Misty oul day on the sunny southeast :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Oldcastle adventure sportif, 80k on a mix of road, gravel, singletrack and fields.
    Tough but great fun.
    Absolutely shagged after,
    Thanks to Ryan for the good company on lots of the route and my VCB clubmate for the lift and pacing ;)
    Kudo to the club for putting it on and the soup after was a master-stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Oldcastle adventure sportif, 80k on a mix of road, gravel, singletrack and fields.

What a pity I had to work today. Are there any other events like this around?

...and I managed to sleep in for it! :(

Well done on the 10k.

(Spotted you two on the tandem crossing the M1 around 2pm :)).

And I missed your 20k celebration last week! Incredible that you have done 2k for every one I have done.
    you do realise you can only count 50% of the distance if it's done on a tandem?

That's not what my hamstrings were saying yesterday afternoon. I rarely felt as knackered after a club spin despite the hard work of my partner. The other weird thing was cycling my own bike back from Swords after 100k on the tandem. For about 5k, every pedal stroke rocked the bike from side to side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Don't normally post about club spins but yesterday's was special. Not because it was my 60th for the year or that I was on a tandem but because I broke my 10k target. The precise location was halfway up Balscadden Hill on the way back to Swords with Tom, my "stoker", putting down some serious wattage.
    A few kms later, we celebrated Wardie, our touring guide, reaching 15k, most of which was generously leading club rides in NCD, Meath and Kildare.
    My 10k was made up of about 6,500 on club spins, 1,300 on sportives, 1,200 on the Hospice Cycle and guiding, and just 1,000 on solo spins. Joining a great club like Swords really helped as did retiring in 2015. ��

You should put your data into the following, handy for seeing how many "Centuries! you did this year, and you did quite a few!

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/annualSummary.php

Takes awhile to accumulate the data though.

-=-=-=

I managed to knock out 56.5km today with 809m climbing while staying close to home, as I was on call for stuff. Had my spin interrupted three times but managed my way up Stocking Avenue/Lane 6 times.

I've noted that a SW wind turns Stocking lane into a horrible wind tunnel. Possibly because it is Southwesterly in direction.

Hopefully after work tomorrow I will have a better day on the bike. It was nice being on a normal road bike again, though I nearly broke a Di2 lever, what with using manual gears for the last few months! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

11111km for 2016 clicked exactly at my doorstep today. Cheers!

HuR502gLPGkMPv1SzLdZ_P7bOQAKXUE5FH_SgpPVJ4w-2048x1359.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Festive 500 completed today ,all done in 5 consecutive days , well chuffed.

All done for 2016 with a total of 10,655km , giving that o got my first road bike in January this year it's been a cracking 12 months.

Thanks for the encouragement received here and the welcome advice on certain matters on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

My last spin with the local club as a "guest", I'll be joining on the 1st. I've been out with them a couple of times recently and have enjoyed the spins. Cycling on the flat on my own kind of bores me but having some company and a chat makes it a different occasion altogether. I'll still be making regular trips up the mountains though.
    Longwood -Trim- Batterstown - Dunboyne - Maynooth, coffee and cake, Kilcock -Enfield and back to Longwood. Lovely day for it tbh, 8-10 degrees with not much breeze and roads fairly dry.
    Did a lap of the green to get me over the ton. We were moving at a fair pace considering the time of year and amount of excess baggage being carried. 5kg heavier than August, I keep telling myself that the belly gives me a more aero shape.
    100.1km, 29kmh. https://www.strava.com/activities/815661224

Just a little over 5000km for the year and 10000km on the bike since I bought it.

Out to blessington and back to Kilnamanagh 43km Avg 25.5 kph. Horrible headwind the whole way out but enjoyed the tailwind back. Could only manage a short spin today...heading to a wedding in Kilmessan, just outside the mythical home of cycling , NCD.
    Have a great night and a happy , safe , new year cycling to you all.
    Had set myself a target of 5,000 km for the year, need to do a bit of totting up, it's on 4 different computers, think it's about 5,300 to 5,400. .Happy days
    , 2017 target of 6, 000 plus km.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    My last spin with the local club as a "guest", I'll be joining on the 1st. I've been out with them a couple of times recently and have enjoyed the spins. Cycling on the flat on my own kind of bores me but having some company and a chat makes it a different occasion altogether.....
    Did a lap of the green to get me over the ton.

You won't regret it though an average of 29kph is tough at this time of the year.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one obsessed with getting over the ton. Nothing worse than a 99.9km.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

57km today, around malahide, howth, etc., on the new purchase. going up over howth with a 36-28 seemed like cheating, it was too easy (i'm more used to doing it on a 39-26).
    25km/h, slowed a little by some mechanical gremlins.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

57km today, around malahide, howth, etc., on the new purchase. going up over howth with a 36-28 seemed like cheating, it was too easy (i'm more used to doing it on a 39-26).
    25km/h, slowed a little by some mechanical gremlins.

Sounds like cyclocross gearing . What did you buy ? Was out that way myself today

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Cycling since summer only getting out once a week If I'm lucky due to work meant my total for the year is just under 600km's however I had a goal of achieving a 25km/h average speed spin( this may be low to most here but we all have to start somewhere!) I eventually managed it today with a 27km/h average. Im delighted with that and has given me the boost to push on in 2017. Happy new year all.

Sounds like cyclocross gearing . What did you buy ? Was out that way myself today
    it's just a standard compact gearing - bought a genesis equilibrium off another boardsie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Got out with the club for the last spin of the year. 80 kms done from Moynalty down around Ballivor and a coffee stop at the new Costa in Trim. Nice place. Total of 3629 for the year, 650 odd lower than last year. I will try my best next year to hit the 5000 mark, honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement