Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

First spin of 2017, just shy of 90km from Dublin 15 to rathoath then around summer hill and back through dun shaughlin.

One of the things noticeable this morning was the crazy amount of punishment / close passes. Not sure if motorists are still in a turkey / wine induced haze still.

But I'd like to extend a special Happy New Years to the 3 motorists who took the time out of their busy days and blared their horns at us, overtaking a solid double white line into oncoming traffic while passing is, along the Summerhill road. The last driver even slowed down to verbally abuse us out of his window as he passed, which was nice of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

3576e8835324a6c5202ef18076bea25f.png

I started off the Rapha challenge on the 24th only to get this 40km down the road. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Went out for a wander past the Tuning Fork and around and about, saw a sign for Firhouse so followed it and ended up at… is it Glassamucky? Above Ballinascorney and Allagour. Well, strictly speaking Allagour is a bit down the western road into Glenasmole. Photo in the apposite thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

60km on slightly icy roads. Stuck to main roads. Thank God for very little traffic meant you could go out into the road and avoid the frosty bits. (1st club spin of the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Carbon copy of the above post^^ :D
    Garmin says average temperature was -2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

60k today out to maguires coffee shop at Hill of Tara. It was cold but bright and sunny! The only ice I saw was surface ice on small water puddles on the side of the roads. All the roads were dry, so no issues cycling on them. A lovely day for a cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Doc07

Got out yesterday to get a good start to 2017.
    100km flat route. Cold and head wind made it a good workout. Struggled on way home as still not used to long spins without coffee stops!
    No close passes but an new one for me when a driver overtook and then slowed to approx 25km/hr to slow us down /block us for a few 100m. Hope he enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Well chuffed with myself - been out on the bike every single day of the year so far - 100% dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Got back out on the bike today for the first time in 6 months. Just did 40km but enjoyed it. Love cool days like today. I went around bettystown and back out through Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cold out there today, not helped by forgetting my overshoes. just a lunchtime 39k up over howth and home. breezy coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

40k out around drogheda ..bettystown...hard work after 6 days man flu. felt extra cold with wind at 4c . was going to do another 30 k lap but dont want to push it after being sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

disco1 wrote: »
    40k out around drogheda ..bettystown...hard work after 6 days man flu. felt extra cold with wind at 4c . was going to do another 30 k lap but dont want to push it after being sick.

Did I pass you on the old bridge / Donore road this morning ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tail end of cold/flu and wife working means i haven't yet have a spin in 2017! Maybe commute to work tomorrow as the first of my planned 12,000kms....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

33km in Artic conditions today after work, first try of my new Northwave Artic Celsius 2 gtx shoes, so cosy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Just the commute today but caught a puncture on the way home. 2 inch screw that's gone all the way through the tire and out the side of it doing some damage to the rim. Bit of a disaster really. :(

Just the commute today but caught a puncture on the way home. 2 inch screw that's gone all the way through the tire and out the side of it doing some damage to the rim. Bit of a disaster really. :(

Ohh, sympathy! How far were you from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Another man flu victim , hoping to get out Sat and Sunday to start my 2017 goal of 6,000 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

First time commuting with a full beard.. spent the last month cultivating a beard, I was on annual leave and an external training course for most of December. Freezing on the way in and out but my face was actually warm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Chuchote wrote: »
    Ohh, sympathy! How far were you from home?

Roughly 5k. I tried jogging a bit but difficult with the bike. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

no not me...though usually would go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

First spin of 2017, 31km around NCD. Lovely afternoon, great to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

First spin of 2017, 85km around Brittas, Sally Gap and Enniskerry. Mist, fog and drizzle, but still great to be out. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First outing for myself too today, 26k on back roads around Cruagh and Tibradden. Damp out and roads feeling decidedly greasy though no ice with a few small skids on corners reminding me to either slow down or work more on my skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Second spin of the year. Wore my "Road ID" dogtag thingy which arrived just after Xmas. 47km on drier roads than yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Commuting was a nightmare coming up to Xmas - lots of irate mummies and daddies in 4x4's who needed to get places quickly.

Since Xmas has gone commuting has been a dream (i was working over xmas). Its really the school traffic that makes the traffic so bad in my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I used a Dublin Bike for the first time today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

godtabh wrote: »
    I used a Dublin Bike for the first time today

And ? I've often wondered how they felt to ride, do you notice they are heavy or are they heavy.?

secman wrote: »
    And ? I've often wondered how they felt to ride, do you notice they are heavy or are they heavy.?

They're mad heavy and you feel as if you're holding out your arms like Hillary Clinton. There's a reason that most of the people you see cycling them are hefty young fellow. And the Velib' bikes in Paris are awful, 22kg. But I'm told that the Galway share bikes are better, haven't tried them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Finally first spin of 2017.
    Commute to work.
    Wet abut mild, 17km.
    God I love riding the bike :)
    Happy new year all.
    Rob

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement