Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

First club spin of the year, was a very mucky affair,gear got a real workout :)
    Didn't help that I'm nursing a dose since Friday so I put to test the theory of anything above the chest get out and go, was a struggle for the first hour to clear the airways and the pace felt harder than usual with feeling unwell but after about the hour mark I felt a lot better and delighted I didn't wimp out :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/825184204

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

First spin since end of september, thought I'd take it easy out with the touring section of the club.

80km later and I'm destroyed.

So.much.fitness.lost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

also, i got a chuckle as i turned right out of clonalvy following a signpost saying 'Ardcath 2km'. a couple of hundred metres later, 'Ardcath 3km'. a few hundred metres later, 'Ardcath 2km'. then 'Ardcath 3km'.

There's no doubt lots of other similar peculiar signs around the place. One in Roscommon somewhere, on a route I do every year on a charity spin has whatever the final town is @7km away, and then within 100 metres another @6km.

We tend to hammer this last section for about 35 km, so it's sometimes a relief to see those signs.

Anywho, managed to get again today. 38 km or theraboutes to get me just shy of 200 for the week. Went 3/4 way around the Airport, and then instead of ballybough, kept going straigt on to Rolestown and back towards St Margarets and home. Had some guy hop on my back wheel very silenty and took me by surprise as I was checking my for traffic behind me. I picked up the pace after a few mins and dropped him. A few mins later he was back. I don't mind but I'd wish people would announce it or something at least.

Also, my total distance this week is more than I managed in all but 3 weeks last year and one of them was aforementioned charity cycle. Hope to carry that on

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

smacl wrote: »
    Hippy Café was closed.

this is Glendalough Green, yeah?

It was closed again today. Any idea what the story is there?

It wouldn't surprise me if they just decided to close for january. Previous years they've been decimated by the lack of footfall due to bad weather, so it would be hard to blame them.

Really hope they'll be back open. I don't feel comfortable stopping anywhere else down that direction (for the reasons given in the quoted poster's full post).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Went for a quick spin this morning, the first of 2017 for me. Only a short 25km loop of Howth but I did follow it up with a 5km run in Malahide Castle. Had a bit of scare descending the Sutton side of Howth summit when I got some schrapnel lodged in a rear brake block. 50km/h and feathering the front brakes was interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1bryan wrote: »
    ... I don't feel comfortable stopping anywhere else down that direction (for the reasons given in the quoted poster's full post).
    The filling station out the Glendalough Road has tables on a veranda if you don't feel comfortable going in anywhere. I've used it on a few occasions.

There's also that other strange place at the junction for Rathdrum where you sit in what appears to be someone's garden and are served by the lady of the house. Don't know if it has a name or if it opens in winter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

On a side note anyone know anywhere to fill up a water bottle up around blessington.:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/823032594

As you go through Blessington from Dublin, on the RIGHT at the "end" before the hardware place is a little Offy/Shop that have never minded me bringing my bike in. You can get a bottle of water there and bars etc. it's a thin/long shop so bringing a bike in does not cause any issues.

My bikes are never left alone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bit miserable early on, a cold thick mist with some drizzle heading into Naul Hills, brightened up a bit around midday to make it a bit more enjoyable being out. Left Swords at 10am and got in 70km odd heading west towards Garristown, Curragha, Rathoath and back via Ballyboughal and the Nags Head for a few repeats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder if we passed each other at any point...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

Knocklyon to Howth Head and back 62km. Roads on Howth Head were quite slippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Glendalough Green is closed till 3Rd of February, the owner is away on holiday for a few weeks.

I was down home in Sligo for the weekend so brought the bike. Got up this morning raring to go, looked out the window and could barely see the window sill with the fog. I said I'd leave it for a while but that while turned into a few hours and the fog turned to rain and then it was dinner and time to head home. Jumped into the car, drove 3 miles down the road and no fog or rain. Could have been out all morning. The joys of living 600ft up the middle of the Ox Mountains.
    Came home and did an hour on Zwift. Not the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

So been doing Mtbiking for the Last two years and decided to do some Road cycling too. I have never done any before this weekend, did Two 25km spins in wicklow ( very hilly) around where I live. really enjoyed it, I decided to ease myself in but gonna add more and more distance as I adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

120km with the in with one or two lads of the quicker lads back off winter breaks. Lumpy spin with one or two.nice digs which I felt real good on and felt the improvement of more focused training via Traineroad.
    My climbing is improving and while I won't ever get KOM I hope to get efficient at least so I don't get dropped when the pace rises over the coming months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

1bryan wrote: »
    this is Glendalough Green, yeah?

It was closed again today. Any idea what the story is there?

Precisely as you said. They are closed until February 3rd. Nature of the their business means they might get very little other chances to take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had to take advantage of today's weather and the fact the my young lad had no sports training. I also had a burning desire to try my new winter jacket.

I set off with a neighbour and we headed for Enniskerry. From there we went up to Glencree (via the Liam Horner route) and then onto Sally Gap. It was quite foggy/misty up there and me like a fool dressed in black with no lights. As we approached Sally Gap we could see that the visibility was improving down the mountain to our right. We descended towards Manor Kilbride.

At this point the Garmin was indicating over 750m climbed so I decided to take the opportunity to go for 1,000m. Just after Kippure Adventure centre we took the slight right that brought us past the military firing range and we turned left to head for Brittas.

Near Brittas, the Garmin was now indicating close to 1,000m climbed but I was presented with another problem - there was 60km on the clock - we could either head for home and finish at 75km or we could, you know, head for Blessington for a coffee and then head home with 100km for the day.

Needless to say, we went to Blessington. Tasty apple tart in the Moody Rooster. We had a bit of a yap with some of the Resevoir Cogs lads that Merican Pro mentioned a few posts back. They were doing their best to recruit us for this years Dog :)

101km and 1,140m. Not bad for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Weepsie wrote: »
    Precisely as you said. They are closed until February 3rd. Nature of the their business means they might get very little other chances to take a break.

thanks. Good to see I'm not the only one who misses it!

Got out for three spins last week. Kept to lower roads around Enniskerry with the extra Christmas balast on board.

I wore bib shorts on two of them. It's great cycling weather and passed loads of others out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

33km today . Inching towards 50km and hopefully 100 in June for the wicklow 100/200. Took in Ashford , Glenealy ,Deputys pass and Wicklow. Parts were tough against the wind .

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

On a side note anyone know anywhere to fill up a water bottle up around blessington.:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/823032594

As you go through Blessington from Dublin, on the RIGHT at the "end" before the hardware place is a little Offy/Shop that have never minded me bringing my bike in. You can get a bottle of water there and bars etc. it's a thin/long shop so bringing a bike in does not cause any issues.

My bikes are never left alone! :)
    That's just the info I needed:). 
    Got out for a nice 60 odd Kilometers on Sunday with just over 700 meters of climbing, Had not done more than 350 on a single cycle before this.. First time ever up at Sallys gap and it almost broke me. Three lads past me with about a kilometer to go and gave me some words of encouragement and some advise to sit back in the saddle as i was off that saddle at the time and panting like dog. Hit over 70 Kmph on the way back down which was a bit hairy thinking back on it now.

https://www.strava.com/activities/824950789

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

I've been in Tenerife for a week and now finally I got into riding.

Yesterday I did the big climb starting from Puerto de la Cruz and turned around at Teleferico del Teide. Nice 50k's of uphill followed by 50k of downhill. Total for the day was 101km and 2520m of climbing.

Weather was absolutely gorgeous. In the beach it was +27C and I was riding in shorts and short sleeve jersey for most of the day. Just 2 days earlier it was snowing at the top so it was quite surreal to ride in summer gear when there was still snow at the side of the road. Weather at the top was mild with clear blue skies.

Definitely one of the best rides of my life.

https://www.strava.com/activities/826470350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Another Trianerroad workout on my chosen plan but it was a set of VO2 max intervals, my worst nightmare tbh. Found these 3 min intervals a little easier than 1 min on/off and I was able to complete the set with just a slight adjustment on intensity.

While the Traineroad is hard work I am feeling the benefit on the road and I hope to progress further as the season approaches..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

WINDY! Battled my way to work this morning, heading from south to north Dublin. It was manageable, but I was tired at the end. It was more of a constant head wind rather than being too gusty I found. I've definitely cycled worse anyway! Should be blown home, so at least I've got that going for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

WINDY! Battled my way to work this morning, heading from south to north Dublin. It was manageable, but I was tired at the end. It was more of a constant head wind rather than being too gusty I found. I've definitely cycled worse anyway! Should be blown home, so at least I've got that going for me!

I chickened out & left the bike at home, was feeling pretty tired to start with and figured it would either be a battle in or a battle home!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My usual 40 minute cummute became a 50 minute commute. Bloody headwinds

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Did 93k around maynooth. Kilcock. Trim. Couldn't nail down wind direction until I hit the home stretch from trim with a strong tailwind. Needed it too as I was tired when I got in. This was a bit over the usual 50/60k club spins but happy to push up the distance a little

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

THE WIND! Think I've a bit of this cold that's doing the rounds as well but I found the extended commute (just under 25k stocking lane, lamb doyle's, blackrock) absolutely draining today. empty legs after the chrimbo. I don't think the 35mm cx tyres running 35psi are helping to be honest, felt like anchors but will be handy if it does snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

tough old station in the wind today. did my usual quick hill spin up cruagh and across to glencullen etc. pushing full gas just to keep momentum whilst going downhill is a strange sensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Lucan, Clonee, Dunshaughlin and Kilcock all in that raging headwind. Tailwind back from Kilcock was very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

poochiem wrote: »
    THE WIND! Think I've a bit of this cold that's doing the rounds as well but I found the extended commute (just under 25k stocking lane, lamb doyle's, blackrock) absolutely draining today. empty legs after the chrimbo. I don't think the 35mm cx tyres running 35psi are helping to be honest, felt like anchors but will be handy if it does snow.

This sounds a little low. I run my 35mm tyres at 50psi.

OTOH, THE WIND!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Cycling along the N7 this morning I was unfortunate enough to have 2 punctures. Big thanks to the lad in the white van who gave me a lift, only a minute or so after the 2nd puncture, all the way into Cyclesuperstore! They in turn were gracious enough to look after me with some new tubes and even fixed my puncture! They weren't even supposed to be open at the time! So what could have been a disaster commute was an overall positive experience!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement