Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've lodged complaints twice with BE. next time i have cause to, i'll be going to the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

i've lodged complaints twice with BE. next time i have cause to, i'll be going to the gardai.

I told them i was contacting traffic watch too. I havent done it yet.

I doubt they will even bother to get back to me - they were not too pushed on the phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

both times, i sent emails rather than ringing them.

both times, i sent emails rather than ringing them.

Oh i rang them - they told me to fill out the customer service form which i emailed in.

colder and breezier out there than i expected. just 33k @26.7km/h, fairly took it out of me. maybe i'm not fully over this cold yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Parchment wrote: »
    Ended up lodging a complaint against a Bus Eireann bus driver this morning as a result of his conduct on my commute to work.

Waiting to hear back - know i probably wont.....

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Ended up lodging a complaint against a Bus Eireann bus driver this morning as a result of his conduct on my commute to work.

Waiting to hear back - know i probably wont.....

They are by far the worst although a couple of private companies are not too far behind. Dublin Bus are not bad with only the occasional rogue driver being an ass but Bus Eireann really take the biscuit, in fact it looks to me like they go out of their way to make life difficult for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

3 spins of 25km this week and feeling very comfortable . Going to attempt my first 50 tomorrow, have changed to a carbon frames bike and loving it so will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

2017 starts today, or so i thought. Headed out from dublin city to stocking lane towards sally gap. Within 10 mins my fingers were frozen, my 6$ aliexpress waterproof & windproof thermal gloves being as useful as wet tissue wrapped round my fingers. Struggled on and up to the viewpoint for the first time in 2017, had the roads to myself, and bar the fingers was surprised how not-difficult it was considering ive done next to nothing for almost 3 months.
    It was noticeably colder higher up, so decided to go down piperstown and out newcastle celbridge direction instead - forgot what a dog of a descent that piperstown is, coupled with the wind, my fingers were fecked by the bottom.

Cried off home to throw the gloves in the bin and look for new ones. A measly 31km in 92mins.

https://www.strava.com/activities/838922130

What happened?

I sent the email first thing Friday morning, nothing as of yet. surprise surprise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

52 km today taking in wicklow brittas bay kilmacurragh deputy pass glenealy and so on. Wanted to crack 50 before the end of January now for 60 as I work towards the wicklow 100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Just a tad under 50km. 1st time out since early December and can honestly say that it was the hardest spin ever!! I was completely gone after 20km. Had the flu since new year and didn't realise how much it's wiped me out. Thomastown to Gowran, through Goresbridge and Bagnelstown then back via Paulstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Wasn't the morning to misplace the overshoes. Took 20 mins in the shower to get full feeling back into the feet. Short spin up to the featherbeds and back down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Crocked wrote: »
    Wasn't the morning to misplace the overshoes. Took 20 mins in the shower to get full feeling back into the feet. Short spin up to the featherbeds and back down.

I did the exact same. Couldn't find 1 of them, and said feck it, be grand without. Took about 30 mins or feet to be anyway close to normal. Went from Santry to Naul, Stamullen, some lumpy L roads around there, Ard Cath, Garistown and headed for Old Town but calculated I'd miss my target by 15 or so KM, so took another L road I think to get to Coolquay and then zig zagged a few times from there to the Airport.

Got 101 km for the day. It was slow. But I was on my steel tourer and I'm trying to pace myself better for much longer distances. Brought my own snacks in a pannier and flask of coffee which was very welcome at the 50 km mark.

Completed the "Gran Fondo" and ordered my handmade wheels at Humphries.

https://www.strava.com/activities/839469145

I had cheap enough glove liners from Mountain Warehouse under my gloves and they worked a treat.

Less than 3 weeks into the year and I've covered 12.5 % of what I did all last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Yesterday, finished work early & was out at 2.30. Heading up the R132 just before the M1 tunnels, sensed a presence behind me. Guy on a MTB sailed by me, says " looks like hard work " , but I had my suspicions! I was behind him until just before Blakes Cross and never once did he turn the pedals!!! Passed him saying " looks like a great idea, but it wouldn't be my thing " . The thought crossed my mind that he might be on Strava or Mapmyride. Maybe, just maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Did you have strava going? He would show up as a fly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

tuxy wrote:
    Did you have strava going? He would show up as a fly by.

Thought I did, but the GPS hadn't kicked in.

Does anyone else not track their cycles? i never do. I just want to enjoy my cycles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Does anyone else not track their cycles? i never do. I just want to enjoy my cycles

There's plenty who don't alright. I get some enjoyment out of tracking it too though, but as said earlier, just looking to slow it down, not chasing KoMs, but going for longer distances and discovering new roads. I was a little lost today and was getting to the stage where I needed to get home so was glad of the GPS to route me to a town I knew my way back from.

the way that's phrased, you make it sound like they're mutually exclusive (tracking your cycles, and enjoying your cycles). i can see that tracking your cycles may not be important to many people, but they're not mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

the way that's phrased, you make it sound like they're mutually exclusive (tracking your cycles, and enjoying your cycles). i can see that tracking your cycles may not be important to many people, but they're not mutually exclusive.

Maybe they are, maybe they are not. I do see many posts here where people sound down about their lack of km's/speed etc. Also many posts of people comparing distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Maybe they are, maybe they are not. I do see many posts here where people sound down about their lack of km's/speed etc. Also many posts of people comparing distances.

People will have different aims and goals from their spins at different times.
    Sometimes is just a smell the roses spin, other times it'll be training for an event or whatever where they'll have a specific aim for the spin. Nothing wrong with that.

It's also nice to be able to look back over the years at different spins or heatmaps to see where you've come from or indeed fallen to!! and rediscover a forgotten route you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from house to Blessington, it was late afternoon but still cold, but feet were cosy enough with new sealskin overshoes. Went left in blessington, across bridge, left again for Manor Kilbride and up the little kink that brings you out at Brittas, back down to Kilnamanagh. 45 km Avg 27.2 kph. The bit I like about Garmin/ Strava is although I'm almost always riding solo , I can compare against others, my invisible training partners. Each to their own, I only got the Garmin from Santa and have to say I'm enjoying using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Quick 31k around Howth. Cold af.

When does the spring come?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Portmarnock- 2 climbs of Howth - Malahide - Portmarnock for 36k at 24kph and 350 metres climbed. Cold but little wind so happy out. Newly acquired "snood" from Lidl was a godsend for tiny money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Hauki wrote: »
    Quick 31k around Howth. Cold af.

When does the spring come?

Sure we have not had winter yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

First time doing a proper spin in over 6 months.

Blessington lakes, lot of cyclists out there today! Lots of clubs too.
    Stunning views; not a ripple on the water (apart from the rowers)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

30km from Thornton hall up around Garristown down to Ashbourne and n2. Feel totally bo***xed now. No power in the legs on anything slightly up hill so was crawling up lumps in the big ring. Serious lack of fitness from being a lazy basted over the last 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

neris wrote: »
    30km from Thornton hall up around Garristown down to Ashbourne and n2. Feel totally bo***xed now. No power in the legs on anything slightly up hill so was crawling up lumps in the big ring. Serious lack of fitness from being a lazy basted over the last 6 months

50k in wicklow. Great morning and all I want to do is sleep on the couch.....sadly I suspect the kids will be testing my FTP for the afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

First time on a dropbar bike, and first time on any sort of bikes in over a decade.

Picked up a Boardman CX Team the other day. Went down to local playground and back (grand total of 6 kms). Fun but god I am not used to feeling evey single bump, rut and pebble on the road like this!! And my backside is in agony.

TLDR: First time. Ouch ouch ouch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement