Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Club Spin as per usual and a tasty route it was.
    Lots of lumpy stuff around Mullinavat, Templeorum etc, hard work but at a manageable pace with a few tasty descents.

We had one lad come off when his chain came off and he was going a fair clip but thankfully he is ok but his gear is wrecked.

At the end of a spin we normally have a gallop near home/starting point and after last weeks miscalculation I wasn't stopping when I hit the front, wether they left me off or tried to chase me down I don't know but as I was the third man across and zipped by I'm sure they did. Either way it felt good to hang on by a good margin this week.

127km with 1140m of elevation with AVG speed of 29.5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

First 100km spin of the year today. Down to Rathdrum across to Barndarrig on to Brittas Bay and home the coast road. No breakfast and only about 4 gels on the way so feeling it now!

https://www.strava.com/activities/840548290

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

positron wrote: »
    First time on a dropbar bike, and first time on any sort of bikes in over a decade.

Picked up a Boardman CX Team the other day. Went down to local playground and back (grand total of 6 kms). Fun but god I am not used to feeling evey single bump, rut and pebble on the road like this!! And my backside is in agony.

TLDR: First time. Ouch ouch ouch.

What tyres are you running and what pressure? If you want comfort and will be staying on the road, something like 37mm Marathon supremes at 60-70psi will be super comfy and soak up all the road noise. For light off-road something like 37mm Shwalbe CX race are good at about 40-50psi, but will be draggier on the road.

Was out on the CX bike myself as well today. Had fitted the spikes during the week in anticipation of some ice and managed to break three levers in the process so felt obliged to at least get some mud in. 80k out to the Leinster Aqueduct and back, loads of properly muddy mud, though to be fair not as bad as its been. Beautiful weather, but pushed a bit too hard on the way out and was knackered for the return leg. Couple of pics here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

positron wrote: »
    First time on a dropbar bike, and first time on any sort of bikes in over a decade.

Picked up a Boardman CX Team the other day. Went down to local playground and back (grand total of 6 kms). Fun but god I am not used to feeling evey single bump, rut and pebble on the road like this!! And my backside is in agony.

TLDR: First time. Ouch ouch ouch.

Bring it to local bike shop and ask them do the saddle and handlebar heights need to be adjusted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Didn't get out until 2pm but the weather was really nice for a spin, little cold but not bad.
    Only had 2 hours, so went Skerries, Swords, Oldtowm, Naul, Balbriggan and home. 54km done in 1hr 53

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Couldn't make the club spin due to family stuff so headed off on my own at lunch.
    Went Strava stalking beforehand to see where the others went and headed off in the same general direction. It was calm and dry and bright but it was bloody cold. Garmin was reading 0-1 for most of the time.
    I went Longwood -Rathmolyon -Summerhill -Dunsany -Tara. Actually felt good going up and gave it a bit of welly. Turned around at the top and headed over to Skryne. I'd forgotten just how sharp it kicks up near the top.
    After that I headed back by Bective and Trim and home.
    72km @ 30.2kmh and a few PRs on the hills for added enjoyment ;)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/840714327

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

week 3 of getting bike fit again - torn my legs off me climbing a not particularly massive hill at "speed" and couldn't catch back onto the chaingang afterwards.

Went home shattered, managed 60km only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from house to ballyedmund, right turn for Ballycanew, Gorey and headed for Courtown, along coast road to Ballygarrett and home. 42.5 km Avg 26.2 kph.

Very nearly didn't go out today, but glad I did in the end , didn't go till 2:30 pm.. just one of those days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

smacl wrote: »
    What tyres are you running and what pressure? If you want comfort and will be staying on the road, something like 37mm Marathon supremes at 60-70psi will be super comfy and soak up all the road noise. For light off-road something like 37mm Shwalbe CX race are good at about 40-50psi, but will be draggier on the road.

Was out on the CX bike myself as well today. Had fitted the spikes during the week in anticipation of some ice and managed to break three levers in the process so felt obliged to at least get some mud in. 80k out to the Leinster Aqueduct and back, loads of properly muddy mud, though to be fair not as bad as its been. Beautiful weather, but pushed a bit too hard on the way out and was knackered for the return leg. Couple of pics here

Lovely photos!

Bike has these knobbly Schwable "Rapid Rob" tyres, which I think is the standard (I bought the bike used on Adverts). They are set to around 60 psi. I will research tyres, but I suspect it's more me that the bike - not used to so much flab shaking about so violently. :o
    Chuchote wrote: »
    Bring it to local bike shop and ask them do the saddle and handlebar heights need to be adjusted for you.

Thanks, I will definitely do that. I tried the bike on an Aldi turbo trainer yesterday within 2 mins there was a spray of tiny specs of rubber covering the floor, radiator, wall.. woops. :o) and noticed the seat was positively agonizing to sit on - it was slightly tilted to the back for the previous owner. Changed the angled a bit more flat and it was already much better. Also I don't have the cleats/shoe etc to go with the SPD something pedals that's on the bike which made pedaling with normal shoes slightly tricky. Halfords didn't have the spd-platfomr adapter type thingees. I think I will try LBS for fitting and other bits and bobs (I don't even have a puncture repair kit, although I have a lot of tools and torque wrench etc that I use on my motorbike).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

First time on the bike in 4-5 weeks. 30 km at a handy pace, will need to get out in the road a good bit before going out with the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Got out for a very meagre 16km yesterday morning.

it was a wee bit cold alright, could have done with something to cover my neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Got out for a very meagre 16km yesterday morning.

it was a wee bit cold alright, could have done with something to cover my neck.

Ah, but that probably takes you 15 minutes. My normal 16km takes me an hour and a quarter!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Chuchote wrote: »
    Ah, but that probably takes you 15 minutes. My normal 16km takes me an hour and a quarter!

oh i wish, I would endure any amount of cold to go that fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Tried a new route on Saturday. Left from dundrum through churchtown, turned left for Rathfarnham and out towards firhouse, into knocklyon park and cycled along it under the M50 and on as far as the old bawn road. Back onto roads then, along the tallaght bypass until i reached the road to lucan, off road cycle lanes along there until the canal, short spin along the canal then crossed over on the pedestrian bridge to grifeen valley park, through that park until lucan village. Then crossed the liffey and in towards dublin along the strawberry beds, into phoenix park, exited at the island bridge exit, over the river again and home via kilmainham, canal, ranelagh, churchtown, dundrum.

Really nice, gentle, easy cycle, just under 50 km, all flat. There are a few gates you need to dismount for, only about 5 or so. Wanted to scout it because I am planning a ride with a friend of mine who has not been on bike in years I guess. Surprising that you can manage so much "countryside" without even really leaving Dublin city.

My brother in law gave me his garmin edge 500, he has upgraded to 520. This was my first cycle using it. Surprised how useful it is, to be able to see at a glance so much information, some of which I didn't expect like temperature and grade.

Route is here if anyone would like to try it, though ride with gps didn't let me plot route through dodder riverbank park so it shows me going on road for that stretch (between km 8-10.)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18554633

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely afternoon out there.
    is there a brewery out near kinsealy somewhere? not the first time i've smelt what smells like toasting hops on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

lovely afternoon out there.
    is there a brewery out near kinsealy somewhere? not the first time i've smelt what smells like toasting hops on that road.

could be Bewleys, they roast coffee in a factory not very far from kinsealy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's a roundabout on my new commute, just between baldoyle and portmarnock which seems to have been paved with glass. Never before have a seen a road surface that was so slick. Yesterday evening cycling home in the dark my inner monologue said "Wow, I bet this is slippy as hell when it's cold..." front wheel slides out a fraction as I'm midway through the roundabout! Heart sank, and thankfully I didn't come off. Feckin' hell though it's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's a roundabout on my new commute, just between baldoyle and portmarnock which seems to have been paved with glass. Never before have a seen a road surface that was so slick. Yesterday evening cycling home in the dark my inner monologue said "Wow, I bet this is slippy as hell when it's cold..." front wheel slides out a fraction as I'm midway through the roundabout! Heart sank, and thankfully I didn't come off. Feckin' hell though it's bad.
    I've had a couple of 'squeaky bum' moments on it also (northbound) but managed to remain upright. I just assumed I was unlucky and had hit an oil slick or something similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been through there a couple of times without issue; the roundabout i'm always most nervous on - never have had any issues on the bike, but have had a couple in the car is the one on glasnevin avenue near the autobahn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

On my commute this morning i was stopped at lights - i was the first bike. Guy on a hybrid rudely pulls around me and goes in front of me even banging off my pannier in the process, whatever its too early for this!

Anyway lights go green and off he goes pedaling like the clappers. Im right up behind him with a few pedals and i can safely overtake him (no cars) so i do and his face was priceless.I gave him a big smile. He was not happy to be overtaken by a bike with two fully loaded panniers let alone one cycled BY A WOMAN! I left him for dust then.

His face will cheer me up for the day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Parchment wrote: »
    On my commute this morning i was stopped at lights - i was the first bike. Guy on a hybrid rudely pulls around me and goes in front of me even banging off my pannier in the process, whatever its too early for this!

Anyway lights go green and off he goes pedaling like the clappers. Im right up behind him with a few pedals and i can safely overtake him (no cars) so i do and his face was priceless.I gave him a big smile. He was not happy to be overtaken by a bike with two fully loaded panniers let alone one cycled BY A WOMAN! I left him for dust then.

His face will cheer me up for the day!

I see a lady on an electric bike most days, the frustration from so many lads as she sails by is hilarious.

I see another guy frequently enough, he cycles a fixie and on stretches where there's few lights etc he normally sits up straight and puts his hands in his pockets or is txting.

Well yesterday he took a spill after he hit a mini pot hole and couldnt correct in time.

Luckily he was fine, he'll be using the handlebars for the next while id say

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

Newbie to cycling. Out for a short spin on Sunday morning last. Got a puncture about 5 mins from home. Had all the necessary bits to replace tube etc. but being a novice, I was struggling. Big shout out and thanks to the guy (Simon) who stopped, changed the tube and let me off with a light lecture :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time spin had planned a few local laps taking in the bottom of Cruagh, but by the second lap wasn't feeling the love, probably down to a combination of still having the knobbly tyres on, stiff wind, and of course being in lousy shape. Change of plan and headed out to Massey's wood for a circuit there that was absolutely glorious. Lack of rain over the past couple of weeks has left the ground reasonably firm which combined with a cool winter sun made for ideal conditions. Still slow off road and wimping out on big roots, but loving it all the same. Had planned on taking the knobblies off this evening, but may leave them on until the weekend.

407421.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

That roundabout is lethal. I saw a bad spill there a couple of weeks ago. Chap looked really sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

is that roundabout coming out of baldoyle? or the painted one at portmarnock?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

neris wrote: »
    is that roundabout coming out of baldoyle? or the painted one at portmarnock?

Sorry, the one coming out of Baldoyle. I've had a similar experience every time crossing it. Definitely sketchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Wasn't sure whether to head out today or not as the wind looks brutal, but I have the day off. Had a talk to myself and got dressed. Pumped tyres, and as I screwed the front valve back in, it came off in my hand!
    Sod this. Tea and toast and tv today then!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wasn't sure whether to head out today or not as the wind looks brutal, but I have the day off. Had a talk to myself and got dressed. Pumped tyres, and as I screwed the front valve back in, it came off in my hand!

It's certainly Gusty. My commute was sketchy for the first 2 KM due to side roads where wind seems to funnel down. Dropped into the low gears, got myself down a bit, and went a little slower than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Good decision! Yesterday's wind was mental, battled the whole way into work. Had the benefit of a tail wind on the way home but some ferocious side gusts which were a bit scary! Will have to put rocks in my bag to avoid being blown over in future :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Todays wind was really bad on the commute - i actually went onto an empty foot path for some of it as i was getting blown all over the place on the road.

I will have the body of a god soon from cycling against this wind!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement