Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

92kms across NCD with big efforts up Snowtown and the Nags Head. Coffee in the Seamus Ennis and home via Skerries.
    Cold but beautiful day out and great company with the VCB crew and the other regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dublin, up cruagh, pine forest, glencullen, barnaculia, then up ticknock, down kellystown rd and home.

Still feeling the extra weight and lack of speed, so nothing special other than almost crashing into who i am 99% sure was padraig harrington on a corner on kellystown road. He gave me a toothy smile and kept on going...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Club spin, started getting back into the feel of the bike. Even though it was cold and damp, it was great to get out and start to get back towards the pace I had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Horrible,miserable, cold and very wet spin.

89km at 29.7km AVG on a relatively flat spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Doc07

retalivity wrote: »
    Dublin, up cruagh, pine forest, glencullen, barnaculia, then up ticknock, down kellystown rd and home.

Still feeling the extra weight and lack of speed, so nothing special other than almost crashing into who i am 99% sure was padraig harrington on a corner on kellystown road. He gave me a toothy smile and kept on going...

That was a swift turnaround for Padraig from missing the cut Friday evening Irish time in California.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Very nearly lights out today...
    Lovely spin on country roads as chaperone for the newbies..... One of them had a mudguard problem so we both agreed to pull in for a very quick adjustment and catch the group...
    Fixed the mudguard and as I went to move off the side of the road , the Tarmac rut just caught me off balance and I fell onto the road took me about 20 seconds in my awkward fall to land into the middle of the road......all I heard was screech of tyres and looked to see the car bearing down on me from about 50 m.....
    Thought that's it I'm ****ed....closed the eyes...
    Car stopped touching the helmet , nearly **** myself , elderly lady driver similar..
    BUT I was very lucky , such a simple simple thing,
    Continued on and did 74 @ 25kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

moonshadow wrote:
    Very nearly lights out today... Lovely spin on country roads as chaperone for the newbies..... One of them had a mudguard problem so we both agreed to pull in for a very quick adjustment and catch the group... Fixed the mudguard and as I went to move off the side of the road , the Tarmac rut just caught me off balance and I fell onto the road took me about 20 seconds in my awkward fall to land into the middle of the road......all I heard was screech of tyres and looked to see the car bearing down on me from about 50 m..... Thought that's it I'm ****ed....closed the eyes... Car stopped touching the helmet , nearly **** myself , elderly lady driver similar.. BUT I was very lucky , such a simple simple thing, Continued on and did 74 @ 25kmph

moonshadow wrote:
    Very nearly lights out today... Lovely spin on country roads as chaperone for the newbies..... One of them had a mudguard problem so we both agreed to pull in for a very quick adjustment and catch the group... Fixed the mudguard and as I went to move off the side of the road , the Tarmac rut just caught me off balance and I fell onto the road took me about 20 seconds in my awkward fall to land into the middle of the road......all I heard was screech of tyres and looked to see the car bearing down on me from about 50 m..... Thought that's it I'm ****ed....closed the eyes... Car stopped touching the helmet , nearly **** myself , elderly lady driver similar.. BUT I was very lucky , such a simple simple thing, Continued on and did 74 @ 25kmph

Glad you got away with it that sounds scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

moonshadow wrote: »
    Lovely spin on country roads as chaperone for the newbies..... One of them had a mudguard problem so we both agreed to pull in for a very quick adjustment and catch the group...
    Fixed the mudguard and as I went to move off the side of the road , the Tarmac rut just caught me off balance and I fell onto the road took me about 20 seconds in my awkward fall to land into the middle of the road......all I heard was screech of tyres and looked to see the car bearing down on me from about 50 m.....
    Car stopped touching the helmet , nearly **** myself , elderly lady driver similar..

That's why motorists need to be vigilant and careful when approaching cyclists , as totally unexpected incidents like that can occur. I had a similar type incident last summer, going up a short ramp, I got out of saddle, chain jumped and jammed, I ended up sprawled across middle of road, luckily no car behind me. Helmet took a hard bang in road and cracked in 2 places.
    On my spin yesterday a complete tool thought it was a good idea to use his horn as he passed me, no other cars or bikes but me and him on the stretch of road. :(

Thankfully the driver in your incident was a good driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

moonshadow wrote: »

Jesus man - fair play for getting up and cracking on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hope you apologised to the driver for needlessly headbutting their car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

105kms with VCB this am. cold (average 1c according to Mr garmin) and then wet. Brisk 50k then stayed back with a mate who bonked, coffee then he hit a pot hole and broke an axel..
    Loved every minute though.
    Balrothery to Drogheda via laytown/Bettystown and then Baltray and Clogherhead (fantastic scenery) and then inland back to Drawda, home via Bellewstown and Snowtown.
    Hit 1000k for the month as well which was ok as missed first 6 days,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RobFowl wrote: »
    Hit 1000k for the month as well which was ok
    you've a nice gift for understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    105kms with VCB this am. cold (average 1c according to Mr garmin) and then wet. Brisk 50k then stayed back with a mate who bonked, coffee then he hit a pot hole and broke an axel..
    Loved every minute though.
    Balrothery to Drogheda via laytown/Bettystown and then Baltray and Clogherhead (fantastic scenery) and then inland back to Drawda, home via Bellewstown and Snowtown.
    Hit 1000k for the month as well which was ok as missed first 6 days,
    hit 1000k for the month, show off!

seriously, fair play, the thoughts of heading out at the mo are scaring the sh1te outa me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

almost a run-in with a car this morning :mad:

I'm going straight through a crossroads, and there are cars on the other side of the junction waiting to turn right, across my path

as I approach the junction, I notice that there are no cars going through with me, so I am the only traffic on my side of the road.

But that's okay, the other cars aren't moving.

And I've got my flashing light on the front, and bright yellow jacket, and the sun is practically up anyway, of course they can see me :rolleyes:

Until just as I enter the crossroads, the car on the other side decides that right now would be the perfect time to make that right turn, right into me:eek::mad:

Luckily she stopped, in the middle of the road, before actually hitting me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wet and windy ride in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains today between the school runs.

I even had my picture taken by a passing motorist going up the Wicklow Gap! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/849535426

WW%20Gap%20300117_zpswtxfjxvw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wet and windy ride in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains today between the school runs.

I even had my picture taken by a passing motorist going up the Wicklow Gap! :D

How did the motorist get the photo to you? I'm just curious....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Finished night shift this morning and got out for 60km around NCD. Skerries - Swords - Oldtown - Naul - Stamullen - Balbriggan - home. 2 hrs 15.
    Hoped to clear the head a bit after hearing about a work colleague dying in a car crash in Cavan yesterday evening. Definitely helped. RIP Paddy.

crosstownk wrote: »
    How did the motorist get the photo to you? I'm just curious....
    Ah sure everyone knows someone who knows me!

In reality a McNSCC member just happened to be passing! :)

Not really a spin , but managed to get a go on an electric bike this evening. Bike weighs about 30 kg ! has a bosch battery on board, gets up to 25 kph very quickly, front ring only looks about 20 , felt weird, the owner said it maxes out at about 25 kph, trying to go any faster , and you feel the weight of the bike. Think it cost close to 3k, an ugly looking yoke though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Thicas15

So, having resigned myself to finding another bike what options do I have? I am now looking at either a GMC Denali Road Bike and possibly a Merax Finiss Aluminum 21 Speed 700C. What do you think of these choices? Has anyone got any experience of any of these bikes? Am I missing out on any?
    https://www.bestadvisor.com/road-bikes

I will be using the bike for the daily commute (8 miles in total), plus weekend rides as I want to get fit and I've signed up to do the 3 peaks challenge in May.

All help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Two easy hours on the turbo watching the end of todays stage of the Dubai tour and finishing off 'Slaying The Badger'.

Miklos wrote: »
    ... and finishing off 'Slaying The Badger'.
    Great read. My favourite cycling book. :)

coincidentally, i started it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Miklos wrote:
    ... finishing off 'Slaying The Badger'.

Had to Google that.

Thought it was another term for 'spanking the monkey'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Had to Google that.

Thought it was another term for 'spanking the monkey'.....

The auld bib shorts don't really facilitate it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Big German Shepherd causing mayhem on the old Belfast road between the 5 roads and Balbriggan, took a shining to me on the way back and accompanied me for 5km+ at 30kph, some staying power for a dog! Thankfully he seemed to be a nice German Shepherd, a lot of the ones you come across out on the bike seem more inclined to take lumps out of you rather than run alongside you, I couldn't get rid of him, was worried he'd knock me off the bike.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Big German causing mayhem.
    Robert Forstemann ??

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Inquitus wrote: »
    Big German Shepherd causing mayhem on the old Belfast road between the 5 roads and Balbriggan, took a shining to me on the way back and accompanied me for 5km+ at 30kph, some staying power for a dog! Thankfully he seemed to be a nice German Shepherd, a lot of the ones you come across out on the bike seem more inclined to take lumps out of you rather than run alongside you, I couldn't get rid of him, was worried he'd knock me off the bike.
    I would be worried he wouldn't find his way home after the chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Luxman wrote: »
    I would be worried he wouldn't find his way home after the chase.

He was there on the way out and had headed a good bit north, when he stopped chasing me he was more or less back where I first saw him, I tried to help a driver to get him into the boot of his car so he could take him somewhere safe but nothing doing, and German Shepherds aren't dogs you want to argue with. I would have been much happier not having him running alongside me but nothing seemed to get rid of him, except exhaustion in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Wet and windy ride in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains today between the school runs. L]

That's some spin.

Also you must have been cutting it fine with the school run :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement