Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Finding the commute tough at the minute, the weather the last 2 weeks has been atrocious. Rather than battle the wind down the coast from Portmarnock this morning I took the Malahide road. Not a bad stretch once you avoid the cycle lanes that appear and disappear at random. The wind and rain really had me questioning my sanity though! Not looking forward to the return journey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thicas15 wrote: »
    So, having resigned myself to finding another bike what options do I have? I am now looking at either a GMC Denali Road Bike and possibly a Merax Finiss Aluminum 21 Speed 700C. What do you think of these choices?

Pretty rough looking bikes with cheap components which are likely to be a source of frustration on a regular commute. On a very tight budget, I'd be more inclined to shop around for a reasonable 2nd hand bike, or a single speed if you're commute doesn't involve hills. Looking for a new road bike for €200-€300 is likely going to leave you with a piece of junk. Lowest new price half way decent bike is probably the Decathlon Triban, XL available for €333 at the moment which is great value if your a tall bloke, other options at €398 which is still great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Delgany-Newtown Mount Kennedy-Roundwood-Laragh out and back.
    Decided to head over at 9, aiming to be on the road at 10. My better half lived in Delgany before we moved in together last July, so its a route I know well and like. Weather was shocking on the way over so was contemplating just turning round. But got there and checked the rainfall radar and it looked like it might pass in an hour or so, so I got a coffee and cake in the Firehouse bakery, parked up in their carpark and waited it out. By 10:45 it was starting to look like clearing so I was on the road for 11. Went up over the aptly-named slaughter hill (one of those hills that never, ever feels easy) and down into Roundwodd and then onto Laragh. It was windy as expected, but bar a few small spots of rain, I got lucky with the weather overall. It wasnt cold but in those damp conditions it always feels a bit colder than it is to me.
    Managed 52.7km at at an average of 26.1 kmph, so a touch over 2 hours, with 582 of climbing. I dont think I was averaging these times this time last year so there has deffo been improvement. Didnt even feel that great today, after a busy and stressful week gone, I was feeling tired and not overly enthused.
    Last weekday cycle for a while as I start a new job Monday, now thats a far worse thought than cycling in today´s weather :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Very tough cycle to work....N11 from town to cherrywood.

From donnybrook church it was a nightmare. Cycling into the wind all the way.

Had some fella behind drafting off me, swapped around after a while and swapped again. Both glad for some respite.

Coming home was a doddle. Wind so strong but on my back the whole way. But got more soaked than this morning

A crosswind caught me out on the corner of lower lesson St and St Stephens green.

So tempted to drive tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Left Dun Laoghaire at 4:30 this evening and came over the hill to Shankill.
    Definitely the worst day of the year, but this afternoon was payback time for this morning's tailwind biggrin.png
    About 80% of Desmond's windspeed last year I think (at that time of the day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Finding the commute tough at the minute, the weather the last 2 weeks has been atrocious. Rather than battle the wind down the coast from Portmarnock this morning I took the Malahide road. Not a bad stretch once you avoid the cycle lanes that appear and disappear at random. The wind and rain really had me questioning my sanity though! Not looking forward to the return journey.

I was feeling adventurous, or mad, and took the coast road at 5pm from Fairview to Baldoyle. My first time attempting to do so when the flood defenses (sand bags etc) were in place! Was forced onto the road almost immediately as a result and stayed there for the duration. The view to the cycle lane was insane as it was completely flooded at points.

Since the route curves around with the north Dublin coast line I had a mixture of conditions, wind in my face, to my back and worst of all to the side. Was almost going to give up when I was taking gusts to my right. I felt the bike could leave the ground. But I had come so far and battled on.

Made it home to Portmarnock in one piece, but I think I should have followed my earlier reasoning and avoided the coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

terrydel wrote: »
    Last weekday cycle for a while as I start a new job Monday, now thats a far worse thought than cycling in today´s weather :p

Best of luck in the new job .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I was feeling adventurous, or mad, and took the coast road at 5pm from Fairview to Baldoyle. My first time attempting to do so when the flood defenses (sand bags etc) were in place! Was forced onto the road almost immediately as a result and stayed there for the duration. The view to the cycle lane was insane as it was completely flooded at points.

Since the route curves around with the north Dublin coast line I had a mixture of conditions, wind in my face, to my back and worst of all to the side. Was almost going to give up when I was taking gusts to my right. I felt the bike could leave the ground. But I had come so far and battled on.

Made it home to Portmarnock in one piece, but I think I should have followed my earlier reasoning and avoided the coast!
    I took the Howth road through Raheny yesterday. Much easier than the coast road in these conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Nice commute today - no wind/rain.

Shout out to the nice lady cyclist who helped me pick up a bike that was blown over in Dublin city yesterday, it was chained to a signpost but when it fell it was out on the road and cars were driving around it - it was going to get run over. I decided (high heels and all) to try to get it up but the lock kept getting stuck. We got it upright after a few goes! The weather was crazy yesterday in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Enjoyable 66km spin this morning. FCC guys out cleaning the rubbish on the R129 which was great to see. No wind, but got caught in the rain at Dardistown and had to put the rain jacket on. Same again tmrw hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Day off work today and some unexpected dry weather so took out the Summer bike before she goes for some upgrading g next week, Power Meter & 52 36....

Did a set of VO2 max intervals on the turbo last night but felt good so did a warm up and two reps of Hillview to Golf Club, a 4.4km drag of 3% and came within 4 secs of a PB on the first one, slightly slower next time up but this tells me I'm going ok for this time of year...

Finished up with 48km at 29 AVG and 504 of up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

secman wrote: »

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Day off myself. Went to pick up the new wheels in Humphries, which was interesting carrying them back, cycling one handed most of the way.
    Dropped them home, headed back out over to parents for a hello and then back via the bac kroads to St. Margarets. It absolutely lashed on the second half of the cycle and it was cold rain and I was just in some commuting gear. Had to pick up the pace just to stay warm.

Somehow ended up doing 50 km in just over 2 hours, though it felt much like a long commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

secman wrote: »

Seconded! Hope it works out well for you, terrydel.

My cycling into work today and home wasn't the best.

I AM NEVER USING THE SELF SERVICE DELI COUNTER IN WALKINSTOWN SUPERVALU EVER AGAIN.

Not so much Delhi Belly as cycling with that Fish called Ella. She's a Salmon, I believe.

Not really a good day all round tbh.

Still... I did manage the short version of my commute into, and home from work, about 10km each way and 21.3 for the day. Which isn't really 10km each way, mathematically.

So far 45km for Feb and with a bit of luck I'll be able to head out in the morning! If me hoop allows it :/

[edit-my packet of hoola hoops (barbecue flavour) just fell all over the floor, why are the Gods doing this to me?] :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First crack at the hills this year. Planned on going over the Gap to Laragh and back again. Went up Stocking Lane at a relatively easy pace. No point blowing the head gasket on the first spin up of the year (and all the Zwift in the world doesn't prepare you for the first km uphill on a frosty morning :o ) Cold but bright and dry. Round past the viewing point and started to notice some icy patches on the road. As I went over the Featherbeds there was more and more icy patches and the descent towards the Glencree turn was downright nasty in spots so I made the decision not to push my luck and turned down toward Enniskerry. That's a cold descent.
    Then went on towards Bray, Shankill and up the N11 before turning up to Leopardstown, over by Lamb Doyles and on back to Tallaght where I had a slightly expensive but very tasty gourmet sausage roll and coffee in the Cycle Superstore cafe.

60km, 743m climbing, average temperature 2 degrees.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/854708037

Footnote, the new club jacket and shorts were the bomb!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting to note the 'dunleary' spelling on that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ... Round past the viewing point and started to notice some icy patches on the road. As I went over the Featherbeds there was more and more icy patches and the descent towards the Glencree turn was downright nasty in spots so I made the decision not to push my luck...
    A few friends of mine went to Kippure this morning (as they do regularly). Not sure how they managed the descent afterwards! See pics in the Strava link: https://www.strava.com/activities/854765726

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

A few friends of mine went to Kippure this morning (as they do regularly). Not sure how they managed the descent afterwards! See pics in the Strava link: https://www.strava.com/activities/854765726

That descent is treacherous in dry conditions, can't imagine doing it in snow.

ian_rush wrote: »
    That descent is treacherous in dry conditions, can't imagine doing it in snow.
    As their average speed for the ride was 15km/h, I'm presuming they walked down most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That was in my plans originally, I had images of the road being clear enough :O

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Managed a slow 60 km today. First half was grand, warm, with a bit of a tailwind.Managed my pace well. Saw plenty of folks out, possibly on their way back in. Got to Naul which wasn't in my plans and from there my legs just went dead and I couldn't get a rythm for ages, all the while I was in urgent need of a comfort break between there and old town :o.

Between the dead legs and the Rugby (wish I hadn't) I went for home. My route looks a bit like a certain appendage

https://www.strava.com/activities/854839972

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wet and windy ride in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains today between the school runs.

I even had my picture taken by a passing motorist going up the Wicklow Gap! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/849535426

WW%20Gap%20300117_zpswtxfjxvw.jpg

Spotted either yourself or a look a like today at junction of collins avenue and whitehall about 12:15 waiting for the lights

neris wrote: »
    Spotted either yourself or a look a like today at junction of collins avenue and whitehall about 12:15 waiting for the lights
    Guilty as charged! :)

(Were you on a bike?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just out to blessington and back on back road to Manor Kilbride, icy patches on backroads. 45 km 26lph Avg . Lots of crews out this morning.

Guilty as charged! :)

(Were you on a bike?)

No was in a truck

neris wrote: »
    No was in a truck
    Colliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Club spin this morning, nothing really out of the ordinary about it, just a lovely morning to be out despite the temperature being below freezing as I left home. We had a nice crew out, a decent tempo pace and the obligatory last few km gallop didn't feel too bad.

https://www.strava.com/activities/856072251/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Very easy 2 hours biffing around the park, last day of a recovery week. The program for next week includes an FTP test, looking forward to it and dreading it simultaneously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Between the dead legs and the Rugby (wish I hadn't) I went for home. My route looks a bit like a certain appendage

https://www.strava.com/activities/854839972
    i seem to have, ahem, retraced weepsie's penis this afternoon.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/856291994

lovely afternoon for it, albeit a little breezy.
    there's a good bit of muck and gravel on the road downhill through kilsallaghan, just in case anyone's headed out that way.

• Advertisement

Colliers?

Yep, white scania

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement