Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you learning or teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

neris wrote: »
    Yep, white scania
    Say hello to Nicky for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Pretty cold out early doors down South and as conditions were icy we stuck to main roads.

Steady enough spin with no big hills or big accelerations but legs felt a little stuff near the end which maybe was the cold?

108.7km at 30.2km AVG with temps as low as minus 3.5 starting out.....Brrrrrrrrrr...

Sad times now as it's nearly time to bin the Winter bike for the good bike with its new flashy bits....Can't wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Say hello to Nicky for me! :)

He's not doing lessons anymore he's running his own business now and has a nice little fleet going. I'll give you a wave if i see you next Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Club spin this morning,
    Got out of bed, looked out the window, then got back in again, then got out again and went, all the time hoping for a whatsapp to say it was too bad and it was cancelled,

It was a lovely morning, we did a slow 65km on the main roads, it was -3 for the most part, and it seemed colder on be way back. We wimped out and stopped for coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think my favourite thing about the naul is that as you're cycling southwards out of the town and get to the hill (it's about 6% i think), there's a sign just after the bottom saying 'thank you for slowing down'.

yeah, you're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Didn't head out till afternoon, total frost whiteout down in wexford this morning, decided to drive to beach for a morning walk, car felt funny, rear driver side totally flat, no spare in this car, pain in the arse, I eventually managed to track a call out guy, so was waiting for him, tyre was knackered, luckily I had a spare in the garage. Went out in the afternoon and did a loop, main road to wexford town, took turn to take coast road to curracloe, Blackwater, kilmuckridge and home. 53 km Avg 25 and a bit.... bitter cold even in late afternoon.

a few lads in front of me earlier peeled off left at the junction south of the naul, just as you crest the hill above hollywood lakes golf club (which is a lovely long straight downhill); is it a decent road if you take the left there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

a few lads in front of me earlier peeled off left at the junction south of the naul, just as you crest the hill above hollywood lakes golf club (which is a lovely long straight downhill); is it a decent road if you take the left there?

Its more down then up and an easier route that brings you out the other side of naul close to the turn up to Garristown and you avoid the climbs (3 sisters I think it's called??)

... is it a decent road if you take the left there?
    It's ok but there are a few dogs on it which puts me off it. It will bring you to Ring Commons/Bog of the Ring and then out on the R132 below Bathrothery.

EDIT: Oops - t thought you meant the left turn just south of Naul when heading southbound.

• Advertisement

EDIT: Oops - t thought you meant the left turn just south of Naul when heading southbound.
    that is the one i meant, i probably wasn't clear enough - the left turn when coming south out of the naul, sallowood view:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5568649,-6.2710402,15.5z?hl=en

though i haven't been on the other road either, jamestown road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

that is the one i meant, i probably wasn't clear enough - the left turn when coming south out of the naul, sallowood view:

Both are nice roads. Heading east there's a little bit of a climb (to the quarry) and then a descent to the R132/old N1. Part of it was resurfaced last year so it's not as bad as it was.

Heading west there's a short descent, a slight climb, and then another descent to a t-junction. Head left for Oldtown/Garristown (next right) or head right over the three sisters and back to the Naul.

- the left turn when coming south out of the naul, sallowood view:
    Known locally as 'The Nag's Head'.

The road I described earlier is a different one - it's the first left after climbing the hill out of Naul (southbound).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm usually jealous when I'm in work and see people out for a spin, but I saw some guy round by the airport around 2pm looking totally dejected with being out in the rain on a bike. I was snug and warm and dry in a work van :)

I didn't realise until looking at that map that Snowtown is in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My cycle home was cut short after 100m. Chain snapped leaving the office car park.

Back in, chain breaker, removed link, oooh that's going to be tight, adjusted wheel to end of the stops, tried again, ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu, 4mm short.

Locked bike, walked back to office, spent 10 minutes and a litre of fairy liquid washing the oil off, got changed and now on the bus looking at the rain that I would probably have avoided.

I didn't realise until looking at that map that Snowtown is in Meath
    Once you cross the bridge at Naul, you're in Co Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Heading west there's a short descent, a slight climb, and then another descent to a t-junction. Head left for Oldtown/Garristown (next right) or head right over the three sisters and back to the Naul.

Only recently discovered a nice climb by taking a left at the garden centre between the three sisters and Naul. It's signposted Four Knocks and called Westown Cl on Google Maps. My guide for the day described it as the ugly step-sister 😰

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Once you cross the bridge at Naul, you're in Co Meath.

So NCD " the home of cycling" is Meath...ish :)

Only recently discovered a nice climb by taking a left at the garden centre between the three sisters and Naul. It's signposted Four Knocks and called Westown Cl on Google Maps. My guide for the day described it as the ugly step-sister 😰
    That's the dishonest one that leaves the steepest bit til the end?

• Advertisement

yep, that's the one. it's called the mall climb on strava.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Huffed and puffed up Cruagh over lunch and back down by Foxes and Kilternan. Great cycling weather, but the engine on the bike needs a service, seems to have got heavy and sluggish over the Christmas.

After I took the kids to school this morning I realised I'd left my work ID in work, so I decided to see how much better the commute will be when the weather gets better and I can use the good bike.
    Admittedly, the usual commute begins at 5am (or earlier) or comes after a 12 hour shift, but without going too mad, I shaved off 10 mins going either way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/858092683

https://www.strava.com/activities/858092665

Maybe its the lack of a bag, lighter bike and no thoughts of being in work all day or night...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My toes were frozen this morning. Bitterly cold, but otherwise it was actually nice and calm along the north Dublin coast! Fed up of this wintery cold weather now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My toes were frozen this morning. Bitterly cold, but otherwise it was actually nice and calm along the north Dublin coast! Fed up of this wintery cold weather now!

Ah, but there's a grand stretch in the evenings all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

3 weeks into my new cycling pastime and due to various things on in the last few days I haddn't gotten out so ....

I went for my first night spin on rural roads last night, 12km most of it with only my own lights and the moon for light. It was kind of a test run to see what I'd feel like cycling at night. I only met about 5 cars on the road and was reasonably happy I was visible to them, so probably out again tonight ;-). It was bloody freezing though... 1°C, I should have brought gloves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Glorious out there now, just back from my regular lunch time spin up by Foxes and if I could have got out of working this afternoon I'd still be out there. Usual 25k, 410m of climbing at a leisurely 21kph with a broad smile approaching a full on grin as I hit 64kph coming down Pine Forest road towards Cruagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Went out for 35km this afternoon, a little later than I expected as usual. Beautiful day, perfect for cycling.

48Km round NCD this morning. As I swung my leg over the bike at the start, a hail shower started. Which was nice...

https://www.strava.com/activities/861377395

As I turned into my road, it started hailing again. Maybe my house just has a cloud of hail over it???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was cold this morning. Did 42km with an average temp of 0. Even had a few flakes of snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement