Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

On the Boards.ie Hill climb TT you would have come in at 13th place (one sec behind Godtabh).

Up from my 14th place in the actual day!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

retalivity wrote: »
    Up from my 14th place in the actual day!

Sounds like 12th place is under threath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Why is the Gardai/cyclists thread closed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Parchment wrote: »

some how it jumped to 10,000 + posts and has to be closed then. I think 9800 of the posts were made up though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

:confused:

The reason is given by the Mod who closed it on the last post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

:confused:

The reason is given by the Mod who closed it on the last post.

Well actually when i logged in this morning the thread was not closed - i wrote a reply and went to submit it then the the thread came up as closed.

A few minutes later a mod put a note at the end of the thread - up until that point it was like any other active thread.

Is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Well actually when i logged in this morning the thread was not closed - i wrote a reply and went to submit it then the the thread came up as closed.

A few minutes later a mod put a note at the end of the thread - up until that point it was like any other active thread.

Is that ok?

Did this happen during your cycle this morning? If not then you're in the wrong place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

On the Boards.ie Hill climb TT you would have come in at 13th place (one sec behind Godtabh).

What/where is the Boards.ie Hill climb TT lads?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭secman

Budawanny wrote: »
    cheers

Stocking Lane, starting at nursing home i think up to the viewing point.

Budawanny wrote: »
    cheers
    If you're on Strava, here's the link.

https://www.strava.com/segments/806595?filter=overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Wee lad was at soccer camp in Swords so loaded bike onto car and got dressed and did a quiet 50km out towards Ratoath and back. Thought I was slower than the 28kmh I logged, due to being fairly tired so that cheered me up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Chuchote wrote: »
    Could I suggest going up through Firhouse to Ballinascorney? The climb is mostly very gradual, and then it's topped with a real swine of a long and (to me) steep hill in Ballinascorney. Beautiful country, and there's a nice cycleway most of the way up.

I think you might mean Bohernabreena. Ballinascorney takes you up, and then down, towards Brittas etc.

Coming from Tallaght, if you take the right after the Old Mill Pub at the traffic light, take the 2nd or 3rd left with signs for Bohernabreena graveyard/Piperstown etc.

Thats a wonderful climb up to the Featherbeds, and after that you can take a right towards Kippure etc Or left to go back down past the Viewing Point/Hellfire club.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Spin around local hills after work, lovely evening with little breeze.

Hit quite a few PB with one of over 3mins on a climb I last did last year, well pleased tbh. PB on Tickincor as well with a sighter on the first segment for the upcoming 3 stage GP in Clonmel in May, likely to die suffering in that but that's for another day.

53km with nearly 900m of climbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I think you might mean Bohernabreena. Ballinascorney takes you up, and then down, towards Brittas etc.

I mean Ballinascorney. Head out by Firhouse, pass the turn for Bohernabreena, continue along - I think there's a golf club called Ballinascorney; if you survive the climb take a left at the stone cross and onwards along a roller-coaster road which brings you to a crossroads after the firing range - Brittas right, Manor Kilbride straight, not sure what left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

48k @ 29.9kph. Same old slog out and a respite coming back.

Precious little climbing though, place is flatter than Holland which is why the avg is hitting 30. Some of you guys do more climbing in a tenth of my distances.

Chuchote wrote: »
    ... which brings you to a crossroads after the firing range - Brittas right, Manor Kilbride straight, not sure what left.
    If it's the junction I'm thinking of, left would bring you over to the main road to the Sally Gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

If it's the junction I'm thinking of, left would bring you over to the main road to the Sally Gap.

The one where you go straight leads you to the Manor Kilbride road (at a junction with a shield-shaped sign, or former sign, on it) and if you turn left on that you soon come to the Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Why don't one of you competent feckers give me a lesson in climbing and cycling over the weekend then 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Why don't one of you competent feckers give me a lesson in climbing and cycling over the weekend then 😂
    As kelly would say "pedal like fcuk when you see a hill"

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

If you're on Strava, here's the link.

https://www.strava.com/segments/806595?filter=overall

Great thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went out to Howth today and cycled the hill from both sides twice. Never cycled it before. It's a tough little bstard from the village side up. I didn't pace it well at all on my first attempt. The climb from the Sutton side is much easier. Quite enjoyed it.
    Now I do have a small question.
    What kind of absolute cünts live out in Howth?

I'm not sure if they're a new thing or not but there's anti cyclist signs all over the place and I'm thinking it takes a special kind of fückwit to go to all that effort.
    The first one to catch my eye was a sign saying "It's not the Tour De France, it's Howth Hill" and I thought, well that's a masterclass in stating the obvious.
    Then there's a sign that shows cyclists riding 2 abreast with 4 lanes of cars behind them and the cyclists saying "We own the road "
    Yes darling, we do. So do you. However it is legal for us to cycle 2 abreast whilst it is illegal for you to drive 4 abreast on a 2 lane road.
    Another one showed 2 elephants cycling saying "We look great in lycra"
    This is absurd as elephants can neither cycle or indeed talk.
    Then there's the sign positioned at the widest part of the road telling us that we need to pull in as the road isn't wide. IT'S FÜCKING WIDER THAN ANY ROAD IN THE WHOLE COUNTY OF MAYO
    I swear to Christ, I'm going on record here and now. If I ever catch anyone putting up signs like this around Longwood there will be an enema performed on the sign erector with the pole he's trying to hang it on.

Apart from that, it was a lovely mild evening and I managed to squeeze in about 50 km with 600 m climbing. Not sure of the exact figure as I dropped in to my brother in Baldoyle on the way back for some coffee and never restarted the garmin
    https://www.strava.com/activities/940741452

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

83 km including 30 with the beginners training group....drags the average down to 25.3 . Changed 3 punctures and massaged one ladies cramped calf muscle for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭secman

Car was booked for a service tonight, brought the bike along and managed a 30km spin from Saggart to blessington and back with a little loop around citywest. Beats taking Luas back home and back up again with a bit of a walk from either luas stop, and I don't like walking, never have.😎
    Avg 27 .1 kph.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Went out to Howth today and cycled the hill from both sides twice. Never cycled it before. It's a tough little bstard from the village side up. I didn't pace it well at all on my first attempt. The climb from the Sutton side is much easier. Quite enjoyed it...
    Now next in line is to go up the village side but keep right at the church - an interesting little way of reaching the summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Daroxtar I've never actually seen those signs, and I cycle Howth a lot (I believe you, I'm not calling you out). I'll certainly look for them next time up, it'll give me a giggle [I don't take things too seriously].

I was twice over Howth today, Sutton X side.. I'm a big Thin Lizzy fan and often drop into the cemetery to visit Phil Lynott's grave (in the gate, straight down to the bottom of the road, turn right and its the grave with the most flowers).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Daroxtar I've never actually seen those signs, and I cycle Howth a lot (I believe you, I'm not calling you out).
    you won't see them, fingal co co are treating them as litter and removing them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

you won't see them, fingal co co are treating them as litter and removing them.

Can't imagine fingal Coco have much staff working today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i was over in the local spar earlier there were three lads from DCC waste section getting grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I went up over Howth this morning too but for the first time ever, from the village side so I didn't see the signs.

Did 40km, averaged almost 24kph. Delighted to have made it up the steep side of Howth without putting a foot down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement