Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Daroxtar I've never actually seen those signs, and I cycle Howth a lot (I believe you, I'm not calling you out). I'll certainly look for them next time up, it'll give me a giggle [I don't take things too seriously].

I was twice over Howth today, Sutton X side.. I'm a big Thin Lizzy fan and often drop into the cemetery to visit Phil Lynott's grave (in the gate, straight down to the bottom of the road, turn right and its the grave with the most flowers).

Why was he buried there? Be a small Lizzy fan myself but always wondered why he was buried over there, obviously it's a beautiful spot but what I knew he was very much a homebird and spent a lot of time in Crumlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Why was he buried there? Be a small Lizzy fan myself but always wondered why he was buried over there, obviously it's a beautiful spot but what I knew he was very much a homebird and spent a lot of time in Crumlin.

I'm not fully sure tbh, but she lives in Sutton and probably did at the time of his death (although Phillo still lived on Barrow Road at the time of his death).

There's an American guy (Jimmy Coup) who is nuts about Lizzy and plays at The Bloody Stream during the summer months, and yes he plays lots of Thin Lizzy. He's worth listening to if you're taking a break from your cycle (he starts in the early afternoon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

150oddkms in the mountains today, what an absolute bastard of a day it turned out to be. Cruagh, Sally Gap, Laragh, Shay Elliot, Slieve Mann, Brown Mountain, back up Shay the Glenmalure side, Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap, Home. The weather turned nasty after the second Shay and stayed that way all the way home.

Hopefully that's enough of a caloric deficit to see me through a weekend of eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

To all you cyclists who are on the gap of dunloe today, I salute you...No mean feat....Was tough enough driving:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Just finished the Easter Fleche 400km nearly non-stop in 24 hours. Dublin, Oldcastle, Longford, Sligo, Donegal, Derry. I'm going to have a very long sleep...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

You have to pity anyone who posts here after NP. So I'll take one for the team.

45k on the MTB this morning, up to 3-rock and then a lap around the Phoenix park trails. Nice day for it but I seem to be fighting something for the last 2-3 weeks, feeling very weak and riding slow. Oh well, glad I got out anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Some great efforts put in today lads fair play.
    Makes my spin feel so much less epic.
    Bitch of a headwind for 40k from enfield to tyrellspass in the pat jones meomorial spin today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/943173516

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Nary a spin.

Set the spuds, but.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Chuchote wrote: »
    Nary a spin.

Set the spuds, but.

Already Fair play! Still a few weeks away for me yet. Anyways 62kms on my first club spin so happy out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Out for a spin today and headed down towards Blessington and came across a larger bunch of cyclists heading out for an event. So, I enquired with one of the marshals what event was taking place.... he said it was the 'Gorey 3 day'.

Of course it was! Completely escaped my mind what day, time of year and town I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

156k with 1500m for me and a buddy today. Some scumbag dumped a load of rubbish on the kilakee road just after the viewing point which I snapped and reported with my trusty iPhone app thing. The wicklow gap was testing enough with the non helping wind. Struggled the last 20k or so. Met a few brave souls with shorts on, must be getting old, i felt it cold most of today

Luxman wrote: »
    a load of rubbish on the kilakee road just after the viewing point which I snapped and reported with my trusty iPhone app thing

What is this app thing called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

70kms this morning out to Enniskerry Stepaside and up Stepaside Lane for the first time. Jesus christ was not expecting to see a gradient of 20% on the garmin I can tell you! Tough climb. Turned right at Foxes and headed down Cruagh then back up to Stepaside and home. First day in shorts and thought it was ok.

https://www.strava.com/activities/943117415

What is this app thing called?
    I use it on an iPhone I think it's also available for android. See it. Say it. It snaps a photo and records GPs location and routes it to the appropriate council

I use it on an iPhone I think it's also available for android. See it. Say it. It snaps a photo and records GPs location and routes it to the appropriate council

Sorry, I meant what is the name of the app, please?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Sorry, I meant what is the name of the app, please?

See it? Say it!

http://www.epa.ie/enforcement/report/seeit/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Quick spin along the Greenway from Moate to Athlone. Fantastic facility

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Put the big boy pants on this morning and finally tackled Kilmashogue. Not as bad as I expected, took it handy up past the carpark and surprisingly there's then a flat section before the last kick up. Took it handy all the way, well as much as you can on double digit climbs. Definitely a world of pain there though if you go looking for it.

Also took in Tribadden, Cruagh, Stocking & Ballinscorney for a nice bit of climbing, no flat bits today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Some scumbag dumped a load of rubbish on the kilakee road just after the viewing point ..
    Noticed that myself when passing this morning, but unlike the good citizen you are, I kept moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nary a spin.

Set the spuds, but.
    Mine went in a month ago (albeit under glass). I've kinda lost interest though as I'm sick of watering them. If I don't do it, the soil is like powder in a couple of days.

Noticed that myself when passing this morning, but unlike the good citizen you are, I kept moving.
    When I called by buddy to stop and wait for me he was like "what. What is it". He wasn't impressed with me

Mine went in a month ago (albeit under glass). I've kinda lost interest though as I'm sick of watering them. If I don't do it, the soil is like powder in a couple of days.

Secret is in amending the soil. Add a load of compost, horse manure, seaweed, and it'll fatten up nicely when you water it.
    Crocked wrote: »
    Put the big boy pants on this morning and finally tackled Kilmashogue.

Does it count as big boy (or girl) pants if you stop and wheeze for ten minutes a few times on the way up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭py

~150Km with 3000m+ elevation at ~20Km/hr moving through the Military Road and beyond. Tough day. Looking forward to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

65k @ 28kph. Took a detour to tackle some short but steep hills. Knackered but pleased with myself for not stopping. Turned onto to a flat, completely straight 7km with a nasty headwind. F**k :(

Hills are more physically challenging but gusting headwinds will break you mentally before your muscles are spent. At least there's a sense of achievement in reaching the top of a climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

First spin out yesterday after a 6 week lay off due to pneumonia. Met my mate and did 60kms around mid Meath. I don't know whether it was the long lay off (and thus unfit) or the after effects of the pneumonia but I struggled badly. I barely managed an average of 20kph (my usual is around 27-28kph). I probably went too far as well but it was a nice morning and we had a lot of catching up to do. I slept very well last night though! Must get back out for a few shorter spins to build the fitness back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

156k with 1500m for me and a buddy today. Some scumbag dumped a load of rubbish on the kilakee road just after the viewing point which I snapped and reported with my trusty iPhone app thing. The wicklow gap was testing enough with the non helping wind. Struggled the last 20k or so. Met a few brave souls with shorts on, must be getting old, i felt it cold most of today

Good cycle. Windy on the Featherbeds coming from Glencree. Too early for shorts up there but I seen a few brave souls.

Rubbish on the left scattered under the trees ? Awful scumbags doing this. No respect. These are people that don't want to pay for anything, just take take. The penalties for dumping need to be more severe - loss of vehicle used would not be too severe!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^theres always rubbish there...looks like it is repeat offenders.

city centre - stocking lane - pine forest - glencullen - barnaculia - ticknock - home for me today, felt absolutely woeful going up stocking lane, so abandoned the original plan of sally gap/brittas. North/South/East/West, didnt matter what direction I was going, it was into a headwind. Decided to go into ticknock - i didnt know that it was paved the whole way to top, thought it was only gravel or mtb trails, so never went up that way. Place was busy, and there was a crowd of orwell lads out chaperoning a kids spin to the top. good day for it.

43km in 2h15m, 847m vertical

https://www.strava.com/activities/944525581

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

55km around the back roads of Moate, Mount Temple, Balin and Athlone with my brother in law. Not the nicest of mornings but it was mild so grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

105k for me with 1330m climbing. Not much in the way of average speed as one of the lads was suffering. Nice route - ballinascorney, cunard/military Road sally gap ballysmuttan. I was one of those unfortunates with shorts up there and yeah it didn't help. Legs felt much better after getting down out of the mist and felt quite fresh after the spin, which bodes well for pushing on further with distance for the ww200

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement