Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Chuchote wrote: »
    Rain and midges? That's unfair!

A New protein drink? ,marginal gains...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

TT over 19km rin by a local club...Handy effort at full gas, enjoyed it.

19km at 39.1 avg over a relatively flat out n back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

dahat wrote: »
    TT over 19km rin by a local club...Handy effort at full gas, enjoyed it.

19km at 39.1 avg over a relatively flat out n back.

That's fairly motoring!! I'm doing my first attempt at a TT tomorrow, I'll be delighted if I keep it around the 35 (it is a little bit lumpy in a few spots)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it normal for a club to organise a TT on a weekday?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    That's fairly motoring!! I'm doing my first attempt at a TT tomorrow, I'll be delighted if I keep it around the 35 (it is a little bit lumpy in a few spots)

TT is always good to do, working to all out effort and holding it till the end. I was hoping to get nearer the 40km avg bit maybe next week.

• Advertisement

is it normal for a club to organise a TT on a weekday?

Its a small club league affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

47k @ 29.7kph on Tuesday and 58k @ 30.9kph today. Nice that the winds have eased slightly. Might have even been a little bit faster today but a level crossing and a suicidal pheasant checked my progress.

First TT tonight in the club league. Never had any kind of race before so I really didn't know what to expect other than it's a bit of a lumpy course and rough enough surface. Got there late enough and didn't warm up properly. Tore off too fast into a slight headwind and uphill and completely lost my breath. I wanted to quit before I was gone 2 km but settled a bit by the turn around. Got into a decent rhythm in the return and ground it out to the finish. I didn't have anything left for a heroic sprint to the line. I said I'd be happy enough with something around the 35kph average and I clocked in at 34.6 so I really can't complain. Didn't get overtaken either so that's a bit of a bonus.
    If I'd taken the first km easier or been properly warmed up I think I'd definitely have gained a nice bit by the turn around, but that's a lesson learned for next time. https://www.strava.com/activities/950754758

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Late to the party..104 Km on Tuesday, Midleton up to Vee..and 1108mts of climbing at an average speed of 25.7km/h. Was hoping for a moving time of 4hrs 15..did it 3 hrs 59..very happy with the progress

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

Third club spin today since joining. Went out with the leisure group before we were joined for a few km by the much larger racing group. Managed to hold my own in the middle of that group before we split up again.

We were rejoined by them bout 15km from the end. I didn't realise that a few of our group were joining them again so I chanced my arm and off I went. Bust a gut to try and latch on to the back of the group and managed to stay with them for about 5km at the back but got dropped out the back.

Happy enough I managed to stay with them in the middle of the group as my eventual aim is to be racing for next year and I've mostly been doing indoor sessions. Not too despondant at getting dropped out the back seeing as I broke myself trying to catch up when we rejoined! The difference in pace though was ferocious!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

200.1 km @ 25.9 kmph drogheda to ballinasloe via maynooth into a bitch of a headwind ......
    Just had brekkie and ready for another 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Daroxtar wrote: »
    First TT tonight in the club league....
    If I'd taken the first km easier or been properly warmed up I think I'd definitely have gained a nice bit by the turn around, but that's a lesson learned for next time.

https://www.facebook.com/BrayWheelersCC/posts/784059105091818

I think the guy who wrote this must have been watching you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

moonshadow wrote: »
    200.1 km @ 25.9 kmph.....

.....Just had brekkie ....
    You did a 200k ride before your breakfast and before 9.38am! Savage stuff! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Headed out for 60k or so as wasn't feeling great. That soon passed. I hit Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride. Never took that road before, scenic and quiet, so perfect...Then headed to Laragh via Glenmcnass. Another road I never cycled on. It's class, so quiet, decent surface and stunning scenery. Quick coffee and crumble and a perv on the bikes. I love the belly busters with the top of the range gear. Sure why not....

Headed home via Kilmac and by accident ended up in Bray. With that wrong turn I then popped my 100k cherry outside the Bottle Tower in Churchtown. Hands in the air and a "Come on!!!", proper celebration...

Quads were burning for hours after. Delighted though, serious buzz. Telling everyone haha

https://www.strava.com/activities/952974593

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Just couldn't get up on the bike today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

72k @ 29.4kph. Feeling great this morning but then inexplicably legs turned to lead about 5k in. Just seemed impossible to turn the cranks at my usual cadence. Kept plugging on and improved. Longest distance to date so happy enough. Have my sights set on 100k at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Weekend away in Killarney, weather great, 15 degrees and no wind. After a six week layoff due to pneumonia, I needed to get the legs moving again. Cycled from Killarney up to Molls Gap (with a pit stop to take off arm and leg warmers as I'd overdressed!). Passed out by many cyclists on the way up but as I could hardly breathe a few weeks ago, I put aside my ego (this time!). Once over Molls Gap (ooh er missus), I had 10kms downhill to Kenmare where I took full advantage to let rip. Clocked my fastest speed of 50.1kph on this stretch. If it wasn't for the bends, tour buses and sheep on the road, I would have been faster. Then onto Sneem with another pit stop to relieve a cramp in my left foot caused by having my shoe too tight. Loosened the strap and problem solved. Coffee break in Sneem before heading back to Molls Gap. This part is 24kms with about 22kms relentlessly uphill. This is where my long break off cycling came back to haunt me. Started to flag badly about 3kms from Molls Gap and had to stop to stretch and rehydrate. Took the time to admire the scenery and when I got back on the bike, I felt better. Once over the Gap, it was mostly downhill to Killarney, with just tour buses to avoid (they'd overtake me and then decide to pull in a few meters later to let the tourists out for a photo opportunity). Started to struggle again in the last 10kms but kept going to the finish. My cycling app said 100.5 kms in 4hrs 40 mins with 1,300 metres of climbing and a top speed of 50.1kph.

Have to admit I was absolutely knackered at the end of it and I probably did too much after my recent illness but I broke the psychological barrier of doing a 100km spin again..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hadnt been out to howth in a while so went thrre for a spin. 50k in 2 hrs, colder than i thought it would be. No anti cycling signs anymore either...

https://www.strava.com/activities/954181500

Club spin across some good and bad roads but a decent group numbers wise.

Started out slightly earlier and added a few climbs in at the end so ended up with 140km at 30.9 avg and 1200m of up, happy out to get a good long spin in as prep for Wicklow 200.

Time Trial Wednesday and Frank O Rourke next Sunday are next week's targets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mellow spin with the regular group today for 102k with 1.8k of up taking in Sally gap a couple of times and the lumpy back roads between Roundwood and Laragh along with a side spin to the bottom of Lough Dan. Big find was a new Cafe, the Dome outside Roundwood that is well worth a visit. Great setting, fantastic service and lovely munchies, and a converted polytunnel with a couch that is also part garden centre. Different for sure, but got my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Sounds good Smacl, where exactly is the cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

colm18 wrote: »
    Sounds good Smacl, where exactly is the cafe?

Directions here: http://www.braywheelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3295

Club spin this morning. Felt good. Weather wasn't great, ran into a couple of showers but nothing too heavy either. There's a short climb we usually give it socks on with the stronger lads opening up a good gap and the rest of us catching up by the next village about 2 km away. I gave it a right good shot today and stuck with them over the top. I didn't calve afterwards either and had enough left for a good chase in the last 20 km after helping one of the other lads get going again after a dropped chain. Pretty happy with myself tbh. After a few tough spins I seem to be finding some legs.
    Probably die a death again next week but I'll take this for now.
    85km@32.6kmh.
    Longwood, Kinnegad, Tyrellspass, Belvedere house for coffee, Mullingar, Kinnegad, Longwood

https://www.strava.com/activities/954230722

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

smacl wrote: »
    Mellow spin with the regular group today for 102k with 1.8k of up taking in Sally gap a couple of times and the lumpy back roads between Roundwood and Laragh along with a side spin to the bottom of Lough Dan. Big find was a new Cafe, the Dome outside Roundwood that is well worth a visit. Great setting, fantastic service and lovely munchies, and a converted polytunnel with a couch that is also part garden centre. Different for sure, but got my vote.

Nice one. I'll give it a go. My crumble in Glendalough Green yesterday was a 3/10 at most

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Club spin this morning, 92km, was running late, and the group i normally go with already left, went with the racing group to catch up,those guys move! Luckily caught my group be fore the first big climb, otherwise it wouldhave been a long day,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Smugglers CC 2017 Ring of Cuilcagh Sportive

great roads nice day great event

85km done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Did sportive - tour de Meath, Rathoath gaa not the an post. Cycled over and back for an extra 45k. Decided to try hang on to the leading bunch for as long as possible. They set a serious pace. Hilariously they all stopped at a 30k water stop. 3 of us kept going and thankfully didn't take too much out, got halfway to longwood when the bunch caught us. Latched on and stayed with them, good buzz averaging 37/38k. until the poxy m3 motorway link roads near dunshaughlin + some rain shook things up. Still, that was only 10k from the end. Overall 115km @ 32.4 kmh, total for the day was 158k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭secman

Headed around to Ballygarrett, killenagh, Ballycanew and on to Gorey, out old n11 to inch and Arklow. Took coast road back to Castletown, around Tara hill, Ballymoney, courtown, ballygarret , killenagh and home. 74 km Avg just 23.8 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bloody freezing this morning commuting into town from Portmarnock. Thought this cold weather business was done! Wore the gillet, but really needed more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

After a days rest yesterday, out at 6.30 this morning for a quick 25kms in 53 minutes. Beautiful morning (if very cold at one degree in Clane, Co Kildare) and a quick loop through Caragh into Naas and home. I was nice and warm in my Galabier bibs, merino long sleeve t shirt, mistral jacket and the all important toe covers. Really like this company's clothing as it fits well, keeps me very warm and it's good value.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement