Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

19km TT tonight on same course as last week. wind was a little stronger tonight and cost me some time to the aero lads and those with two bars.
    Came in with a 29.17 time at 38.8 avg which was slightly down on last week with time lost on way back, 20 secs on last week after gaining 7 secs on way out.
    Funny bit was I was called for second and presented with a medal but then they realised the error so think I was the 3rd A4 possibly. Funny stuff all round over the medal.

Met Niallhg there as well, was a pleasure and it a fellow club mate of his who was second on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Up kilmacurragh hill across to avoca into arklow and back past brittas 51km a bit slower but some tough little climbs (for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

dahat wrote: »
    19km TT tonight on same course as last week. wind was a little stronger tonight and cost me some time to the aero lads and those with two bars.
    Came in with a 29.17 time at 38.8 avg which was slightly down on last week with time lost on way back, 20 secs on last week after gaining 7 secs on way out.
    Funny bit was I was called for second and presented with a medal but then they realised the error so think I was the 3rd A4 possibly. Funny stuff all round over the medal.

Met Niallhg there as well, was a pleasure and it a fellow club mate of his who was second on merit.

Dahat was my minute man, I was thinking that the best view of him I'd get would be at the start and at the turnaround and it worked out that way, a very good performance on a standard road bike.

Happy enough with my own ride, things went a bit pearshaped just before I left and I was running a bit late, didn't get a great warmup in so happy enough to shave a few seconds off my PB for the course.

I don't know if there's anyone from The Rock Peddalers on here but they've run a great league, it's been very enjoyable and well organised and run, a bit farther down from home than ideal for us in Kildare but well worth the effort and journey.

My first 100 km plus spin. 103km with an average speed of 25.5km an hour . I'm pretty happy with myself did the first 50 solo bumped into a mate and he did the the other 50 with me. Delighted with life. Only bad part a few drivers were acting like right dickheads beeping and running me right in close to the footpaths when I was in arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

My first 100 km plus spin.

Well done - there'll be no stopping you now wink.png

• Advertisement

Well done - there'll be no stopping you now

Thanks my goal is the wicklow 100 this year so I'm happy with my progress. Need to work a bit more on climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Have being hiding from the rain and hailstorms all week but got out today for a spin. Nice 45k @ 30.7kph.

Think I might try my hand at a 78 mile/125 k local sportive in 2 weeks. There's a 100 mile as well but that might be a little too far (and a bit more climbing than I'm used to).

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

41kms clane around by Donedea, Coill Dubh, Caragh and home in an hour and 20 minutes. Happy with the time but sore as hell in the nether regions. Can't continue cycling if I feel like I've been kicked in the balls after every spin. It's definitely a cycling issue as I feel fine when I'm not on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Have being hiding from the rain and hailstorms all week but got out today for a spin. Nice 45k @ 30.7kph.

Think I might try my hand at a 78 mile/125 k local sportive in 2 weeks. There's a 100 mile as well but that might be a little too far (and a bit more climbing than I'm used to).
    Your average speed is quite high especially for a solo ride - much faster than I'd ever be capable of. If you are interested in lengthening your rides, I'd suggest dropping back to 27/28km/h which will utilise much less energy and allow you to go much further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

D13exile wrote: »
    It's definitely a cycling issue as I feel fine when I'm not on the bike

That's very odd. Most other posters here only feel fine when they're on the bike wink.png

Could be the bike fit (saddle position, tilt etc); the saddle not suiting your anatomy (too narrow/wide/soft) or a poor pair of shorts. I presume you are not wearing anything under your shorts eek.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Orwell randonee.... Bloody hell, what a day. I often feel inadequate rocking up to a gig like this. Athletes everywhere and me in the middle of it. Remember that chap that photobombed the Man United squad photo before the Champions league semi?

Had the honour of cycling with Andy69, Mercian Pro and Wishbone Ash. Delighted to have met them all and hopefully it won't be long till the next time.
    Made it up the Wall. Yayy for the 11-32 :D
    Vicious headwind for a lot of it but the tailwind on Wicklow Gap and Lakeshore Drive really helped me. I'm always in trouble after coffee and cake so I was delighted to have that push to get me going again. Sally #2 was torture but as soon as I turned at the crossroads I was passed by an ambulance and I jumped in behind and drafted it nearly all the way to Kippure gates. Then I got a rush of blood to the head and thought "I can get home under 6 hours" so I gave it socks till Enniskerry but then had an "Aw shíte" moment when I realised I had to climb up to Kilternan on a completely empty tank. I horsed the jellies into me and just about made it without bonking. Didn't make the 6 hours but considering I had hoped to go around the 6:30 then 6:08 for 144 with 2400m left me very happy.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/963048522

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭devonp

in place of a cancelled cycle in kerry/cork and not sure if i was going to do the OR i did it back to front(other way round). typical OR weather, the WG was hell against the HdW up& down. really suffered on the Liam Horner , small ring all the way, did a bit extra as well, 163Km 2944m of Up
    https://www.strava.com/activities/963367941

Your average speed is quite high especially for a solo ride - much faster than I'd ever be capable of. If you are interested in lengthening your rides, I'd suggest dropping back to 27/28km/h which will utilise much less energy and allow you to go much further.
    Rural roads, little traffic or junctions, and very flat geography helps a lot with that average speed. Even so, I could probably do with easing off a few kph for longer runs. My problem is being disciplined enough to do that when I feel perfectly fine spinning away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

great day bit windy just teh regular club spin, if you beleived met eireann it was goingto rain all day, barely a drop of rains so far in SW donegal

One of those days. 80k @ 26.9kph.

First 40k into a horrible 30kph+ headwind on unsheltered ground, although the masochist in me was starting to enjoy the struggle. Turned for home and 10k in chain snaps - skidded but managed to stay upright. Was the quicklink that went and fortunately I had an old one in my saddle bag. Fixed it up and away I went (cautiously).

Then 20k rear tyre goes. Changed tube but mini frame pump absolutely useless in putting any decent pressure into the tyre. Got me home at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Tour de Sligo .....holy crap the wind . ''Twas really really windy....did I tell you about the wind , seriously I seen two people blown off the mountaintop sideways into a gripe...I'm not joking .
    A brilliant spin with excellent marshalls ,food facilities etc. A really great day spent with some club mates dawdling around Sligo....105 km @ 23.4 km

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Travelled over with 5 club mates and did the Tour of Ayrshire Grand Fondo on Sunday. The hardest 115km of my life. About 1650m of climbing in beautiful rolling terrain around Kilmarknock. Weather played ball although it was very windy. Official chip time 4:28.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Round trip from Leopardstown - Larragh - Blessington - Leopardstown. 120km with 1570m of climbing. Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

My cycle today was the most glorious 60k I've cycled this year thanks to the weather :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

beautiful evening out there. 81km out to hill of tara and back, only real niggle was the new bib shorts i used which felt like a pair of cheesecutter wires.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i'd never been on the road between skryne and ratoath before; that's a nice road; straight and gently undulating, and nice and quiet (certainly this evening anyway).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

actually, i'd never been on the road between skryne and ratoath before; that's a nice road; straight and gently undulating, and nice and quiet (certainly this evening anyway).

Lots of nice L roads and boreens around that direction and Puddenhill. Never been heavy traffic wise whenever I've been there, possibly due to the close proximity of the N2/M2 and M3 to get the traffic moving

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

After the hell in Wexford yesterday (Frank O Rourke race) o wasn't leaving a day like today pass me by.

Club spin, half dozen of us and did 96km at a brisk 30.5km avg plus went up Scrouty in Portlaw for the first time, nice climb but we went steady. Defo going back to it.

Arrive home and find the sole on my practically new Northwave Shoes (L) coming away from the shoe. Back to Wiggle for another replacement.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Lots of nice L roads and boreens around that direction and Puddenhill. Never been heavy traffic wise whenever I've been there, possibly due to the close proximity of the N2/M2 and M3 to get the traffic moving
    yep, there's even no comparison between the N2 (north of ashbourne) and the old N3; the latter was one of the most unpleasant stretches of road i've been on in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Just done a short 46km spin before work this morning. Our club is doing a Strava time trial on the N81 embankment segment so gave it a good lash.

Got a PB at 7:47mins/186bpm avg/220w...

Pushed my position on that TT up near the top of club, happy with that :)

Then afterwards a bit of a loop to Kilteel - Newcastle and back home via N81. Lovely morning for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Waterford City to Kilmacthomas and back, on the Greenway.

58km took me about 2 hours 45 minutes.

It was pretty busy in places due to the bank holiday.

The goal of Waterford to Dungarvan and back feels a little more achievable.

Plenty of sudocream was needed afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

yep, there's even no comparison between the N2 (north of ashbourne) and the old N3; the latter was one of the most unpleasant stretches of road i've been on in the last few months.
    You would have passed my house as you left ratoath towards Skryne. My club hate the road as the surface is shocking to cycle on. Although today I drove the opposite way and everything looked glorious in the sunshine. I then went to bellewstown for some hills on the bike

I didn't find the surface that bad, though there is one stretch where it was a bit bumpy - not potholed or anything, just not expertly laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

30k after work. City centre, coast road to killiney, back around through Dalkey and home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

64.4Km this morning on some roads I've not cycled before due to me getting a bit lost.. Opted for shorts and short sleeves and just about got away with it, although I could see my breath as I got to the top of Snowtown (what Little I had left..)

https://www.strava.com/activities/967360290

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement