Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Nice 40km this evening out to howth, had the urge today when I saw the sun shinning. Went up the village side for the first time in 3 years and down the golf course side in light of recent discussions on here. Bit of a diversion due to a gorse fire on the way down brought me down some unknown roads so got to do some exploring.

Nearly lost at about 50kmh it just as the downhill levels off. No traffic, wide open road but concious of taking up the road as I slowed at the bottom I pulled in closer to the left side and wheel got caught in a repair on the road then lost control. Glad I was able to recover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Nice 40km this evening out to howth, had the urge today when I saw the sun shinning. Went up the village side for the first time in 3 years and down the golf course side in light of recent discussions on here. Bit of a diversion due to a gorse fire on the way down brought me down some unknown roads so got to do some exploring.

Nearly lost at about 50kmh it just as the downhill levels off. No traffic, wide open road but concious of taking up the road as I slowed at the bottom I pulled in closer to the left side and wheel got caught in a repair on the road then lost control. Glad I was able to recover it.

yeah i saw loads of cyclists heading that direction when i was on my way home last night. then saw the cloud of smoke drifting across the bay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

my 1st commute of the year, a tad nippy to start with & fairly pooped by the time I got in, looking forward to the spin home and not stuck on a packed train.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunchtime spin up bohernabreena, glassamucky, military road and back via stocking lane. Climbing was ok, but plenty windy across the feather beds making for a difficult enough descent. Lovely out for all that and looking good for the next few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Started from Harry Byrnes (no drink taken) and headed to Bray to do the Bray Harbour to Kippure segment and back home the same way. Great day out and the weather was so good.

100km done
    https://www.strava.com/activities/967606662

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Had to get out today due to a combination of the weather and the stress of looking for a job recently. Nothing blue skies, spandex and a bag of jelly tots can't make better. :)

Nothing too strenuous but up Mount Venus and Old Military Road coming back via Enniskerry and Stepaside. Glorious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Doc07

Badly need to get in shape for Marmotte so got in over 100km Tallaght-Sally-Laragh-Enniskerry-Tallaght.
    Beautiful day and three much faster club-mates graciously waited for me when I was suffering.
    Back in work before anyone even noticed I was gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

a great evening spin home last night, bar some numpty peds walking out in front of me on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from house to Tallaght bypass, and out to Blessington, across bridge and take left turn to head to Manor Kilbride and on to n81 back to Kilnamanagh.
    45 km Avg was 27.3 kph, a lovely evening for a spin last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

First spin in 5 weeks, longest spell without a cycle in 11 years and longest without any exercise in my 42 years.

I can't remember a week without grabbing a gear bag/bike.

Just an hour but an hour of magic that is a cycle on quite roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

ford2600 wrote: »
    First spin in 5 weeks, longest spell without a cycle in 11 years and longest without any exercise in my 42 years.

I can't remember a week without grabbing a gear bag/bike.

Just an hour but an hour of magic that is a cycle on quite roads

Seen the segments on Strava, must try locate those climbs. Is the surface reasonable on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

dahat wrote: »
    Seen the segments on Strava, must try locate those climbs. Is the surface reasonable on them?

Define reasonable!!

I'll text/email you a few routes over next few days. The guy from club who runs back roads group is former national champion and reckons they make great training roads.

There is a labyrinth of roads around there.

I'm living in your town now and will have a few new routes more local to you before long

ford2600 wrote: »
    Define reasonable!!

I'll text/email you a few routes over next few days. The guy from club who runs back roads group is former national champion and reckons they make great training roads.

There is a labyrinth of roads around there.

I'm living in your town now and will have a few new routes more local to you before long

Good stuff, thanks!

I'm a demon for same old roads all the time.
    Looking for quiet ones for Sprint drills and the like going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The wind has been ridiculous for the last few days. The last three mornings I've ripped in, touching 45km/h for extended stretches on my single speed! No mean feat! The journeys home have been a little less easy unfortunately!

Spotted a garda cycling up out of Clontarf this morning. Merrily cycling along the foot path after the cycle lane ends. Absolute joke.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Quick post work spin up stocking Lane, down cruagh. Lovely tailwind heading south which meant prs all over the shop including one bringing me under the 20min mark for scholarstown rd to the viewpoint - result!
    Nobody out there either bar a group of ucd guys - everyone must have gone drinking on this fine evening.

https://www.strava.com/activities/972329077

Was up before dawn this morning to take youngest up to the Marlay darkness to light run so decided to take a spin while waiting for her to finish up. Planned trip up Kellystown road to Ticknock didn't pan out as my lights died half way up so nipped home for the spares and went up to the viewing point instead. Only 21k with 480 of climbing but Stocking lane felt that bit longer in the pitch black and descending in the dark is a nice buzz (once the lights were working!). Youngest loved the event in Marlay, and plenty of rashers were wolfed down by all afterwards just to make sure no one actually lost any weight as a result of this early morning exercising lark.

416523.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

smacl wrote: »
    Was up before dawn this morning to take youngest up to the Marlay darkness to light run so decided to take a spin while waiting for her to finish up. Planned trip up Kellystown road to Ticknock didn't pan out as my lights died half way up so nipped home for the spares and went up to the viewing point instead. Only 21k with 480 of climbing but Stocking lane felt that bit longer in the pitch black and descending in the dark is a nice buzz (once the lights were working!). Youngest loved the event in Marlay, and plenty of rashers were wolfed down by all afterwards just to make sure no one actually lost any weight as a result of this early morning exercising lark.

416523.JPG

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

Did about 20km into a 25mph block headwind before I decided to head back home and do an indoor session instead

Didn't have the heart for it after 40km constantly into the wind 2 days ago :confused:

jalock20 wrote: »
    Did about 20km into a 25mph block headwind before I decided to head back home and do an indoor session instead

Didn't have the heart for it after 40km constantly into the wind 2 days ago :confused:

Supposed to be way better tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In Strandhill for a birthday/stag. Brought bike given the weather. Have a fairly hefty hangover but dragged myself to Glencarr Waterfall and back in a loop.

Some great roads out here and you'd sometimes think you were abroad given the conditions and scenery today.

Got 67 km done, at 24 kph. Just glad to have gotten out in the good weather

Saw notice for a 200 km sportive in August that might be tempting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Weepsie wrote: »
    In Strandhill for a birthday/stag. Brought bike given the weather. Have a fairly hefty hangover but dragged myself to Glencarr Waterfall and back in a loop.

Some great roads out here and you'd sometimes think you were abroad given the conditions and scenery today.

Got 67 km done, at 24 kph. Just glad to have gotten out in the good weather

Saw notice for a 200 km sportive in August that might be tempting

The Gleniff Horseshoe loop is my favourite - stunning.

A nice 80k for myself today - a bit breezy but nice and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The wind has been ridiculous for the last few days. The last three mornings I've ripped in, touching 45km/h for extended stretches on my single speed! No mean feat! The journeys home have been a little less easy unfortunately!

My commute usually has a tailwind on the way to work and I prefer it that way. On the way home I can change my route to suit the wind to some extent but on the way in, time is against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Did the Grand Canal and Barrow Way from Grand Canal Dock to Monasterevin. Lovely cycle and the trails are in perfect condition with all the dry weather. Followed two lads up the wrong side of the canal on the section coming in to Robertstown and got destroyed by the briars! That'll teach me to blindly follow someone. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Did the Grand Canal and Barrow Way from Grand Canal Dock to Monasterevin. Lovely cycle and the trails are in perfect condition with all the dry weather. Followed two lads up the wrong side of the canal on the section coming in to Robertstown and got destroyed by the briars! That'll teach me to blindly follow someone. :pac:

Or to bring secateurs with you. And thick leather gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Took a week off letting my nether regions rest (ok it was very sore balls syndrome) due to extreme soreness caused by my last saddle. Got the all clear from my GP who's also a cyclist that it wasn't anything more serious than some bruising and then had a good physio session to work out the kinks in my back and glutes. In the meantime, I bought a new saddle, a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow and put it on the bike.

So up I get at 7am to have a trial spin to see if I've recovered in the ball sack region and to test out the new saddle. Well for the very first time in three years of cycling on my Trek, I had what can only be described as a road to Damascus conversion, at least in relation to comfort on the bike. Absolutely no pain in the nether regions nor sore ass after a 30km spin. Hardly felt the saddle and I thoroughly enjoyed the early morning spin under blue skies and light wind. Despite the week off, I did the 30kms in 65 minutes and felt great afterwards. Would have gone further but it's going to be a busy day so a longer spin will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Great to finally get comfortable on the bike after several previous saddles failed to provide any relief. Why didn't I get this saddle years ago? Ah well, at least now I've finally found one that won't have me standing up every ten minutes for relief. Thank you Selle Italia😎😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

millions of flies.

otherwise an absolutely heavenly morning for a spin up howth via malahide and portmarnock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

millions of flies.

otherwise an absolutely heavenly morning for a spin up howth via malahide and portmarnock :D

lots of them, my legs are covered in bites.

No spin as I'm in Dublin after a stag but **** me it's someday up here...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Doing an adventure race next week so incorporated a run and a hike into my spin this morning. Dublin 8 out to bohernabreena, round the reservoirs, up cunard and down to hellfire forest. Slow hike up there and then back on the bike and home. I have never seen so many cyclists up featherbeds/viewing point/stocking lane. There were about 50 at the viewing point alone and cyclists all over the hill as i was descending.
    And i too had a crapload of flies for breakfast

https://www.strava.com/activities/974684539
    https://www.strava.com/activities/974685565

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Glorious out there. 50km around ncd, first time up snowtown from the stamullen side. I chose the wrong bike for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement