Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Day late but did 200km Cycle4Haiti cycle from Dublin to Galway yesterday. Got pretty lucky with conditions, decent tailwind for much of it which is rare going that direction. No rain, but not much sun - today would've been far better.

First time I've done over 80km in a day's cycling but found it handy enough having trained for Quest Glendalough last month. Tempted to go book either Wicklow 100 or 200 and maybe Ring of Kerry too now!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Short spin today. City centre round killiney a few times and then home. Lovely day for it

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Great weather this morning up at Sally Gap - club outing at 9am

Clondalkin - Cruagh - Viewing Point - Sally Gap - Manor Kilbride - Home via N81

I spun off early due to work.

67km/800m of climbing/26.7km/h average.

Loads and loads climbing towards Sally Gap this morning. Great to look up towards the road at the lake and see a huge stream of cyclists climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That's as good a day weather-wise as I've had on the bike since holidays last year. Glorious sunshine, no breeze, not roasting hot either. Pretty much perfect cycling weather.
    Went up Stocking lane to Kippure, then down to Laragh for the coffee and back up the same way home.
    Knocked 5 minutes off my best time from on the Stocking lane - Kippure segment but suffered for it coming back home across the Featherbeds. Swallowed the biggest fly I've ever had the pleasure of coming up by Glenmacnass.
    Met a Dutch gent on the way back up who was cycling Tom Dumoulins old bike. He bought it from his friend who is a Mechanic with Giant Alpecine. I was momentarily starstruck. By a bike.
    Anyway....
    97km, 1500m up, 24kmh average. PRs galore. Still slow but definitely faster than I used to be
    https://www.strava.com/activities/974938093

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

31 km today. Out to N11, to UCD, turn around, down Booterstown Ave to the coast, the park path into Blackrock, and into Dun Laoghaire. From there I went to Vico Rd - which was a mistake. It's a sunny day, so people were parking wherever the hell they wanted, and causing massive jams as a result. Had to walk large chunks of it which nuked my avg speed, but the downhill from Druid's Chair to home is fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I couldn't believe the number of cyclists coming against me on Stocking Lane right up to the Sally Gap.

Chuffed to make it up Stocking Lane in my first attempt. It was slow going but I got there.

Dublin Port - Rathfarnham - Stocking Lane - Sally Gap - Manor Kilbride - Ballinascorney - Dublin Port

68k. 3hr 22min moving time. 988m climbed. 20.3km/h average. With all the climbing and my aversion to hills I suppose 20.3km/h average is alright.

Oh, the bloody flies too!

Two things off the bucket list....Stocking Lane and Sally Gap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep, plenty of extra protein today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

First spin with the racing group in the club I joined a few weeks ago. Set out for 100km and was motoring well until a few of us came down in a crash on a descent. I was grand for a few km before the shop stop but when I got back on after it was the end of me.

Got dropped repeatedly after that and felt like an absolute tosser but probably should've called a halt after the fall. Didn't realise how bad itl was. Turns out I have a mild concussion haha.

Anyways lasted another 30km before I had to call a halt to proceedings 30km from home. Fair play to the lads in the group for hanging on for the noob struggling. I'm consoling myself with the fact I might've got around no prob had it not been for the fall.

They nor I won't forget that spin in a hurry!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What a glorious day to be on the bike! Managed 105k with 1.4k of up taking in the Old long hill, Wicklow gap and Ballinscorney. Glendalough was the only fly in the ointment with absolute grid lock making it tedious to get through even on a bike, can only imagine what a pain in the ass it must have been in a car. Heard on the grapevine that an Orwell rider got into a scrape somewhere between Glendalough and Laragh requiing an ambulance to be called, nothing critical apparently but hope he's ok. Was glad I'd the suncream and insect repellent on, but still managed to feel like the helmet was infested with bugs for much of the day. Looks to be good all week so hopefully a few morning and evening spins on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Perfect day today. Two gaps, coffee and cake. Magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Truly ideal cycling conditions. Lack of wind is great for averages & morale, had me falsely thinking I'm faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

I have only been out on bike a handful of times and the bike was stuck in low front gear for months, despite my noob efforts with L, H screws and cursing. Finally picked up a work stand from Aldi and couple of videos later, shifting beautifully again and it felt so good to go downhill not looking like a hamster, and to see speeds like 35+ on the odo (even if thats only on the downhill sections).

Yes, truly beautiful day. Disastrous day for flies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Having yesterday discovered some of the quiet wonders of Sligo and Leitrim, today was the day to go further and the real reason for bringing my bike to a weekend of drinking. Knowing the weather forecast and the wind was to either die down or be favorable to me, I opted to cycle home from Strandhill to Dublin. I planned a few routes that would get me as far as Roads I know in Meath or Kildare and I could take the rest from there.

Anyway, hit one of the options, and was brought on endless amount of boreens. Some absolutely brilliantly surfaced, some mostly grass, some gravel, but all with their own quiet charms and away from nearly any traffic.

My route saw me bypass a lot of towns, and go into townlands and farm lanes and skirt the borders of a few places. It had plenty of rolling roads, and some amazing views on a day like today.

For a lot of it, I only had cattle, sheep or the occasional donkey or horse to wave at. Saw some farmers up at it, early on a Sunday morning and thought, I couldn't do that. They were all glad of the weather and obliged with a wave back to me. In years gone by they'd probably have asked to stop for a chat and I could've bought lunch from the, but I had one mission.

Stopped in Mohil to get some supplies and had a chat with two older cyclists who gave me a rough point in the right direction in case the GPS failed. I ended up at some lake and stopped to eat said supplies about 15 km later and onto Grannard for coffee and more substantial food.

After Grannard, the rolls were less rolling and speed picked up a bit, that and I had some fuel on board. Pushed myself onto Athboy for another break and then onto Trim, Clonee (with an Ice pop in between) and to my friends house as he took my bags home for me as they all thought I was mad.

The last 2 k up the Drumcondra Road was the absolute toughest. I was and now am absolutely shattered. Brilliant day out, and glad I did it, but it's put the idea of the Celtic Knot and such right out of my mind. I'd need someone else the next time

Anyway, 220 km done, in just about 9 hours.

https://www.strava.com/activities/975734911

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

millions of flies.

Wrong. Billions. They must have all hatched at once with the warm temperature. I was covered in them - mostly greenfly.

What a day, folks. It's days like today, being able to cycle for a few hours in Wicklow admiring the stunning scenery that make it all worthwhile. Trudging through the winter gives me the fitness to go out on a day like today and just enjoy it.

102km, 1,150m and a bit of sunburn. Big gains made on the tan lines today.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

141km and odd 1500m of climbing for the day.

Conquered both Sally and Wicklow Gaps. Nice and easy going enjoying the sights and weather with lots of photo stops along the way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/975570445

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

133k around Wicklow - my longest cycle in quite a while and 1500km of climbing - a new record for me. Just turning 60 and hope to keep this going as long as I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

133k around Wicklow - my longest cycle in quite a while and 1500km of climbing - a new record for me. Just turning 60 and hope to keep this going as long as I can!

Just coming into your prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Well done today , I'm in the same vintage, hitting 60 late Summer, treating myself to a new bike to mark the occasion , hopefully next week, no point in not having it for the summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday morning headed out just after 8 am, more or less in full winter kit except for overshoes , out to blessington and around the lakes drive, plenty of good splits on way out but spin back was a real pain, very strong and cold headwind. Toes were numb when I got back home. 67 km Avg 26.6.

Today was a different country, full summer kit, headed for kilmuckridge, ballycanew, Gorey and down to courtown, coast road back to Ballygarrett, killenagh and home.
    51km Avg 27.5 kph

Glorious weather today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Around Tymon Park with the woman. Started from hole in the wall, Wellington Rd, Limekiln Rd until the entrance opp fmr St Damian's school, now Riverside Educate Together, mostly around the outside until I saw some Polish community festival (think so) so headed through fields and as far as the mobile phone mast / exercise machine near M50/N81 Junction, then over the bridge between the two sides of the Park and along that old road that follows the M50, then exited on to Greenhill Road (from which cars were driving in for whatever was one), dip, Limekiln Rd home. Great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just back from a variation on my usual spin. 40Km around NCD. I rode past the house as my Garmin said 39.75Km and I wanted a round figure. After it hit 40, I turned back for the house and was in a dreamworld of my own, dawdling along, when someone in a Swords jersey flew past me and woke me up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/976416114

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Took the day off as I had to look after my kids this afternoon - lucked out on the weather! Had to do a few bits, so ended up taking a spin from Dunboyne, hoping to do 50km, but a spin to Trim was too tempting, so ended up with with over 60! :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/976531567

MUO2JRVy1HfRbH0RYpSTyU88VzpKYHnnRAYF14e_Irk-2048x1536.jpg

Planned early morning spin to catch sunrise in the mountains didn't quite pan out. Sun was rising nicely going up Stocking lane and then met with a wall of mist on the Military road. Great morning all the same and the mist finally cleared the Featherbeds later for a glorious descent with no more than a light breeze. 22k with a good bit of up and a small bit of off-road, sure what else would you be doing of a morning?

416839.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

42.5Km around and about. Gave it some gas coming down into Naul and just didn't reach 70Kmh. Must try harder next time..

https://www.strava.com/activities/977849452

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

58km around Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Dunsany and Skryne. Fantastic evening but had a bit of a headwind on the last 20km or so from Skryne back into Ratoath. Average of 27.2km/h. Still yearning to hit the magic 30km/h. Have a feeling I won't be racing as planned this year though without hitting the magic 30 solo at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Went for a meander in Wicklow including some roads I haven't been on before. Took it handy on the climbs and enjoyed the sunshine. 209kms with 2,700m of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/978616860

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Went for a meander in Wicklow including some roads I haven't been on before. Took it handy on the climbs and enjoyed the sunshine. 209kms with 2,700m of climbing.

Meander. Indeed.

Nice route, keep meaning to take the road up to Lugnaquilla but never seem to bother as its a dead end. Should be some good tracks there for the CX bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dropped my team Sky Oakleys (most likely at the UCD flyover) if anyone finds them, getting them back would be appreicated!
    oakley_sky_blue_600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Did a few laps of the Khyber circuit in the Phoenix Park last night in advance of the Noel O'Neill Trophy on Saturday. It's going to be a bloodbath!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement