Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Miklos wrote: »
    Did a few laps of the Khyber circuit in the Phoenix Park last night in advance of the Noel O'Neill Trophy on Sunday. It's going to be a bloodbath!

It is. I was up there in in the park last week and a few of inconsiderate eejits were ripping around it shouting at others to get out of their way. I figured they were doing prep for that or a duathlon pr something. Probably the same eejits who throw gels and bottles away.

Be careful of the deer too. They're often just off the path there and I've had to stop dead to let them cross the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Weepsie wrote: »
    It is. I was up there in in the park last week and a few of inconsiderate eejits were ripping around it shouting at others to get out of their way. I figured they were doing prep for that or a duathlon pr something. Probably the same eejits who throw gels and bottles away.

Be careful of the deer too. They're often just off the path there and I've had to stop dead to let them cross the path.

Yeah there were plenty of other road and path users last night so couldn't really go full chat, it'll be really fast with the road closed. I'd say it will end up with a small bunch competing for the win, there will be lots of attrition between the Khyber and people losing wheels on the corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Sunday ????

This poster says Saturday ..must drop by an Watch the Fun

20170513-NON-Poster-Short.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short spin up Cruagh to the Viewing point, along the Military road and back via Stocking lane over lunch. Fantastic conditions but word of caution to those out there later. In the wooded section between the viewing point and featherbeds there was a family of deer on the road (5). I was expecting them on the return trip but even then had a young one run in front of me coming round a corner. It would be wise to watch your speed on the blind corners there at the moment as the young ones seem quite skittish.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Gorgeous weather for a spin to Sally Gap. 52km @ 25.5km/h average with 700m of climbing. Had to nearly come to a complete stop on the descent down to Manor Kilbride, sheep all over the shop!

• Advertisement

Gorgeous weather for a spin to Sally Gap. 52km @ 25.5km/h average with 700m of climbing. Had to nearly come to a complete stop on the descent down to Manor Kilbride, sheep all over the shop!

https://www.relive.cc/view/979539960

smacl wrote: »
    Short spin up Cruagh to the Viewing point, along the Military road and back via Stocking lane over lunch. Fantastic conditions but word of caution to those out there later. In the wooded section between the viewing point and featherbeds there was a family of deer on the road (5). I was expecting them on the return trip but even then had a young one run in front of me coming round a corner. It would be wise to watch your speed on the blind corners there at the moment as the young ones seem quite skittish.

I encountered a deer at the viewing point about this time last year bounded over a fence in front of me. A rare enough sight thankfully!

I've noticed when out yesterday someone, probability not officially judging by the finish, painted deer crossing on Cruagh road and another near Tibradden?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

There was what all over the shop????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

First time up Kippure, took the Bray -> Enniskerry -> Glencree route. Jaysus, the last k or so to the top is not fun. Neither is the descent. Nice sunburn though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ronoc wrote: »
    I encountered a deer at the viewing point about this time last year bounded over a fence in front of me. A rare enough sight thankfully!

I've noticed when out yesterday someone, probability not officially judging by the finish, painted deer crossing on Cruagh road and another near Tibradden?

I seen all the deer warnings last weekend. They are on the way up Cruagh, on the road coming from Glencullen to Cruagh. They make me smile though - 'Deers' Crossing. Obviously I am not going hard enough as then I am asking myself is it Deer / Deers and Mice / Mices but definitely Beer / Beers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ronoc wrote: »
    I encountered a deer at the viewing point about this time last year bounded over a fence in front of me. ...
    One bounded across the road in front of me the last time I did the climb up Glenmacnass. Shudder to think of it happening when descending at high speed there. :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

One bounded across the road in front of me the last time I did the climb up Glenmacnass. Shudder to think of it happening when descending at high speed there. :eek:

I remember coming down the decent beside the Coningham Road exit to the Phoenix Park. I was doing maybe 40km/h and one ran out in front of me. Missed me by mm. The shear mass of it and the wake left behind made me wobble. Hate to thing even at low speeds what would have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Did my usual mid week jaunt out to blessington and around back road to Manor Kilbride and back out to Brittas and home.
    Absolutely lovely evening for a spin.
    42 km Avg 28kph

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

34k after work this evening. City centre, coast road and two laps of killiney hill then home.

Lovely evening for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Commuted in on the good bike today. Seemed to be a lot faster so looking forward to uploading it tonight and checking. Cold though, 6 degrees when I left the house

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another fantastic morning to be out on the bike. Bit nippy to well suited for the climb up Kilmashogue and on to Ticknock. More deer out on the paths, but at my lamentable climbing speed they just look on and tsked. Fresh gravel on some of the climby bits didn't help my cause much either. A few early morning MTBers out, really need to learn some basic MTB skills and get a mountain bike as my n+1. I'd say the tracks are amazing in this weather.

417044.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

During a running race in the Phoenix park a few years ago (Irish Runner 5 mile, maybe?), a herd of deer ran across the road at the S-bends as the race was passing, a stag ran straight into one of the runners. Quite seriously injured IIRC.

And looking for a photo of that, I found this, from Dublin City triathlon last year
    TraithlonStagCrash3_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-752139

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

Nice spin around up to and around the Leadmines, mix of on and off road. Perfect evening light.

https://www.strava.com/activities/980372537

IMG_7293.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Commuted in on the good bike today. Seemed to be a lot faster so looking forward to uploading it tonight and checking. Cold though, 6 degrees when I left the house

Checked on Strava and went to work about 4Kmh faster than usual, and came back around 3Kmh faster. Time to upgrade the commuter bike I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

a nice evening spin yesterday along the coast did 57km with an average speed of 130km down to there and 50km an hour back ( think something might be wrong with Strava :-) it only recorded a couple of Segments too but took in the exact distance. weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's a roundabout on my new commute, just between baldoyle and portmarnock which seems to have been paved with glass. Never before have a seen a road surface that was so slick. Yesterday evening cycling home in the dark my inner monologue said "Wow, I bet this is slippy as hell when it's cold..." front wheel slides out a fraction as I'm midway through the roundabout! Heart sank, and thankfully I didn't come off. Feckin' hell though it's bad.

I noticed this morning that this roundabout has actually been resurfaced with what appears to be a much grippier surface. Fair play to the council on that one! :cool:

I noticed this morning that this roundabout has actually been resurfaced with what appears to be a much grippier surface. Fair play to the council on that one! :cool:
    Just noticed that today myself and was wondering if it had been done long as I hadn't been there for a week or two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A large section of Drumcondra has been resurfaced too. Far better than before, though I still instinctively expect the pot hole on the bridge

.... though I still instinctively expect the pot hole on the bridge
    I thought it was just me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just noticed that today myself and was wondering if it had been done long as I hadn't been there for a week or two.

I didn't cycle Tues to Thurs, so it must have been done some time then! Didn't chance it too much in the rain this evening, but it definitely looks grippier and had a good feel to it. Big thumbs up from me at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A large section of Drumcondra has been resurfaced too. Far better than before, though I still instinctively expect the pot hole on the bridge
    Someone recently sprayed yellow lines around a bunch of lumps and bumps on the ballymun road. One would expect in advance of them being leveled or fixed.

I didn't cycle Tues to Thurs, so it must have been done some time then! Didn't chance it too much in the rain this evening, but it definitely looks grippier and had a good feel to it. Big thumbs up from me at least.
    Just see from McNSCC club's FB page, it was done yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

This morning was the first Day of Summer as far as I am concerned, warm with rain that didn't chill you to your bones. Yesterday was bleedin frezining! Big bright thing in Sky =/= Summer or hot.

Time to take the good bike out of hibernation!

I <3 warm rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Shortish spin today with a few efforts in it, getting close to Wicklow 200 and Clonmel 3 Stage GP so doing the hills involved locally on a regular basis.
    It isn't fun and fully expect to get a proper hiding that day but it's a local event so feel.obliged to support it.

Club had a bike fit organised with Aidan Hammond so a few small adjustments were made, slammed stem (yay), seat post raised 1/2 inch or so plus saddle moved back a bit.
    Interesting to see how these changes go.over a few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement