Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Saw there was a 100Km challenge on Strava for this month so decided that as I have time for myself before night shift tonight, I'd head out. Not gone this far in a while, but kept at it. Wind between Balbriggan and Skerries nearly finished me off though!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1740474712

Traffic lights in Malahide and Balbriggan as roads are dug up, and I got held up at the level crossing for the Dart going both ways through Sutton. Still, missed the forecast rain and had quite a pleasant spin. Night shift might be tough tonight though...

As an extra from my above post..just noticed I got a bit of sun today. A definite start to the tan lines. I wonder will it fade completely before we see more sun?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

today? we had thunder and lightning, and the heaviest hail i have seen in years, in south dublin at about 3:30. the office ground to a halt as people gawped out the window at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Swans and cygnets on the way into work. They seem to have mellowed a bit since last year and no longer try killing everyone who passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭devonp

Swans and cygnets on the way into work. They seem to have mellowed a bit since last year and no longer try killing everyone who passes.

but no hassle from the Pigeons then...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The sunny weather seems to be a mood enhancer :cool: I had a number of pleasant encounters while out for a spin today.

I'd not been out for a long spin in a couple of weeks, so decided to make the most of the sunshine and head for Sally Gap. On my way through Phibsboro I got talking to a guy on an electric skateboard. He told me it had a 40km range and could top out at 40km/h, though he'd not been brave enough to try that speed yet (I don't blame him). It looked like fun, but did sort of remind me of a toy I had as a kid :)

RaphCheapskate.jpg

There were a good number of cyclists of varying skill levels out enjoying the Military Rd. and its surrounds. I stopped just after the viewing point for a banana break and to enjoy the silence. I wasn't there long when three lads in full blown conversation passed, followed by a couple ("good morning!" from both), and a solo cyclist who also said hello. Back on the bike, and more friendly "good mornings" as I passed the couple again, followed by plenty of nods, waves, and hellos from most other cyclists coming in the opposite direction. A final cheery hello from a second cycling couple in Manor Kilbride, then back into traffic for the home stretch.

With exactly 10km left, and with thoughts of lunch running through my head, there was a sudden *POP* and rush of air from the back wheel :( Upon inspection I found a nice neat little hole in the tyre. The road was smooth and debris free, so I'm not sure what caused the blowout. I had narrowly avoided a lot of glass about 12km before this, whether I'd picked some up and it'd taken that long to cause the failure, I don't know.

As I was replacing the tube (including a boot to cover the hole), a third cycling couple passed (cycling must work wonders for some relationships) and asked if I was OK. I thanked them and waved them on, only to have the boot fail almost instantly. The support car was messaged, and I started walking. 50m down the road a man in a car coming towards me stopped and asked if he could do anything. I thanked him and told him support was on the way.

Turns out support was having lunch in Howth and wasn't on the way! :D 10km in my socks seemed doable (cycling shoes = slow walking shoes), the sun was still out and the roads were dry, so I kept going. 1.5km later and another car stopped and offered me a lift. I gladly took it. The driver was a complete stranger, but his dad is a keen cyclist so he said he wouldn't like to see one stranded. We chatted about work, his studies (medicine in Trinity :eek: ), etc., and he went ~8km out of his way to drop me to my door. I'll have to pay it forward somehow. If I ever see a stranded med student, I'll definitely stop and offer them a lift :p

90km on a sunny Friday in May. Cycling is fun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Couldnt sleep last night so left the house around 4:20. Earlier than usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭secman

godtabh wrote: »
    Couldnt sleep last night so left the house around 4:20. Earlier than usual!

And what did you do ....? Where did you go ..? Are you back yet ...? Are you asleep now ?

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

secman wrote: »
    And what did you do ....? Where did you go ..? Are you back yet ...? Are you asleep now ?

:)

64km before 7

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

On the home stretch of my spin yesterday going through santry a guy pulled up on a bike which on closer viewing had a small petrol engine bolted to it. He seemed to know what he was doing as it worked well. Except for two things. It spat out a lot of fumes which I proceeded to choke on for our 5 mins together to dardistown. The rear wheel had a buckle in it which due to the weight and speed he was doing I thought the whole thing would come asunder under the vibration. He only pulled away from me on the upslodes in the road as I couldn't maintain 34kph at those moments. He kept looking behind to see if e dropped me😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Nice looking morning so lets get out for a spin ..But just 500m from leaving the house the bloody heavens open sheets of rain blowing down the liffey..hide under a tree ..check radar on phone more convection en route feck that ..home shower and Giro on TV for the afternoon. 1km in total ..I am such a fair weather Fred :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I have seen rain in my time, but today was something special.

Heavy rain is to be expected, when rain is, but this total downpour lasted for the guts of 25 minutes.

It was relentless. Seriously heavy relentless.

I've had monsoon type rain showers that lasted a few minutes, to be replaced by normal rain, possibly with a bit more monsoon stuff. But 25 minutes of seriously heavy rain and a tad of hailstones thrown in?

I was lucky it was over 10 degrees, otherwise I'd have been frozen to death. The top I was wearing had no fancy technical stuff going on, other than being super nice to look at. :)

The rain also killed my Drift Stealth 2 Camera. It was that bad.

I'm not happy tbh.

Anyways, my bike is in sh1te again, and 115km done & 974m up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/996869570

#Lesigh

Tomorrow I'm un/de-hibernating the good bike.

I hope the weather is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

It was brutal out, went out this morning in full summer mode and the gods decided to mock me. I was freezing, then I got caught out on both gaps in Wcklow in three of the deluges, I was destroyed. It felt like I was under attack! I'm not going out in full summer mode again in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Rarely post in this thread as my cycle is same commute day in day out. Today however cycled over to Stoneybatter on the pub/town/shopping bike and met the in laws for a few drinks and a bit of food. Walked down to the quays with the wife after and jumped on to the bike as she jumped on the 145. Beat her home to Deansgrange by a full 16 minutes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

So glad I didn't go out today now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

Would you mind disclosing the location? My son want's to see a real life ugly duckling! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have seen rain in my time, but today was something special.

Heavy rain is to be expected, when rain is, but this total downpour lasted for the guts of 25 minutes.

It was relentless. Seriously heavy relentless.

I've had monsoon type rain showers that lasted a few minutes, to be replaced by normal rain, possibly with a bit more monsoon stuff. But 25 minutes of seriously heavy rain and a tad of hailstones thrown in?....
    I got soaked to the skin on the way to work this morning. Normally I manage to get my gear sort of dry during the day by rolling my socks in paper and stuffing my shoes with newspaper, airing my jersey etc. However my boss unexpectedly arrived in work :eek: (she doesn't do Saturdays) and had a few big ideas which occupied me for 12 hours. Forgot all about the wet gear and had to re-apply it to myself tonight - cold and still wet. I thought I'd time the evening commute between the showers but got soaked to the skin again. I'd say that was probably the wettest two commutes I've ever had.

Went up Military road, Sally Gap and back via Djouce.

Savage headwind blowing down the mountain made the climb up by lough Bray tough. 58km and 1000m of climbing. That should hopefully get me around the ring of Beara next week. Haven't got as many long spins in the legs as I did this time last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had a very quick errand to run, took a wrong turn initially. With that done headed for Kilbride and then around Strawberry beds and a few loops and half loops of the park and the Khyber circuit. Park was way too busy with cars and people just in the lanes. Was on what I planned to be my last loop when I saw a friend go the other way.

Were doing a charity cycle together in a few weeks so I joined him and went out to Howth. The new coast path is a huge improvement. Surface is great and good sight lines and nice and wide to be able to keep going and for families to enjoy it too. We got battered by wind, but it was grand. Went up Howth via Sutton. I dropped my friend so waited for him, then he went on as I was given some tourists directions. Caught up, stopped for coffee. Left him to do another loop and went for home.

120 km in 4:45 at 25 kmh. Sun, rain, headwind, crossind, tailwind. Got a load of PRs and probably could've got more. I was ready to throw in the towel and head home but the wonders a familiar face can do for the legs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/998992614

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A4 Coachford GP today for me, a new course due to roadworks and while I never races that I loved this course today. Had quick sections and some lovely hills, short but snappy.

I was thereabouts for the Sprint and moved to come up the outside but it closed for me, switched inside but that closed also so rolled home last 200mts. Defo felt a Top 10 was missed.
    One thing though another lap would make that a decent race as 52km at this stage of the season is short imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had great intentions yesterday of going up the hills for some pre MB200 recce but managed to give my back a twinge and spent last night tossing and turning trying to get to sleep. Got up this morning still thinking of hills but I could barely get off the throne after my morning weight shedding so I though there was probably no point heading down to Glenmalure then having to phone herself to drive an hour and a half to collect me from some ditch if the back gave way altogether.
    Settled on going out for a spin with the club, at least it'd be flat and I'd have someone to support me if needed.
    Well it was relatively flat alright but heading out with the racing group the week after they've returned from a training camp in Majorca was not the smartest thing I've done with a bad back.
    Plenty of headwind and crosswind coupled with some Wattmonsters drilling things meant one hell of a tough spin. I got dropped twice, first time about 3k from the coffee stop when they ramped up to nearly 50kmh on the flat. I knew we were stopping soon so I just said Nope, off with ye...I find I care less about what others think of me as I get older. I'm probably going to be an absolute arse in time to come.
    Second time was just after the coffee stop although I got back on quickly enough on a descent. Managed to get myself going properly again after a little shelter and rounded off the spin with a foolhardy attempt at a sprint just coming back to my house.
    Longwood, Edenderry, Mount Lucas, Rhode, Tyrellspass, Kinnegad, Longwood
    92km in 2:51@32.3kmh
    Back wasn't too bad afterwards either. Roll on Mick Byrne

https://www.strava.com/activities/998309077

• Registered Users Posts: 21 2406r

Evil 200 recce ride solo - first half to laragh then straight back via glenmacnass. A long and slow day - it was very challenging into the wind all the way to Laragh. The way home was easier

If Sat 10th June is anything like yesterday it is going to be a very long day:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

waldo wrote: »
    Would you mind disclosing the location? My son want's to see a real life ugly duckling! Thanks

They're just by the canal where the park west road crosses over it. There's another pair with cygnets by Clondalkin now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭secman

As we had a southerly blowing yesterday I headed across to ballyedmund, boolavogue and on to The Harrow and in to Ferns,. From there I went into Enniscorthy, into a full on headwind, and to make matters worse I had been spraying weedkiller earlier, yep on a windy day and no mask :( and I had to stop 3 times to ehm puke...... Felt a bit better getting nearer Wexford town and with the wind on my back headed back the coast road to Curracloe, Blackwater, kilmuckridge and home.
    86 km Avg 27 kph

Lesson learned re spraying on a windy day and not using a mask.
    Good thing was I was starving Marvin when I got home and the good missus had a full irish ready and waiting :) A good ending to this sceil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

An even hundred about NCD taking in the Nags Head and Howth. Between a sore knee and the headwind the last 10k were pure torture.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1000485197

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They're just by the canal where the park west road crosses over it. There's another pair with cygnets by Clondalkin now too.

I actually had the Swans on that stretch eating out of my hand last year. Nobody seems to feed them in the winter and when I went up they used to flock around me, I was like a feckin Swan Whisperer or something

113Km @27.5kmh for me. Headed for Drogheda, Termonfeckin, Clogherhead, Dunleer, Collon, slane, Duleek, Julianstown, Balbriggan, balrothery and home.
    A bit windy at times which made the going a bit of a slog, but a grand day out with no issues with the bike or other road users.
    Now to collapse in front of Eurosport for the Giro..

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1753967546

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

First outing in 10 days, from d8 up cruagh, view point, featherbeds, down piperstown and back. Brakes are shot, so piperstown descent was hairy to say the least. Heap of PRs on the uphills, into a headwind/crosswind, well chuffed. And the firhouse road with a tailwind is glorious.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1002349999

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A leisurely 35km around NCT at an avg of 23 km/h (which by my standards is pretty good!)

Handy and all as I go the only bit of freewheeling I did round a bend I met a club group going the other way, I felt I was crawling along. Think they might have been Upperchurch-Drombane CC, lots of friendly greetings anyway.

On a hunch I raised my saddle slightly - 5mm - I can't believe the difference in comfort so very happy with that. I still imagine I feel a bit 'heavy' on my hands but have a longer stem to try

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

a cracking morning for it, really enjoyed the spin to work this morning, bar a nucking fumpty overtaking me on a bad bend nearly giving the girl driving the other way a heart attack cos he was totally on her side of the road, nuckin fumpty just managed to get back over before anything serious happened, id say her heart is still hammering away at a rate that is far above her normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement