Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

beginner road cyclist, going through donnybrook village towards UCD at around 6pm, took the bend at kielys very awkwardly and ended up cycling down the slope between the curb/gutters and road. Managed to stay upright but chain came off and skidded all over the place with my toe coming through my shoe, Nightmare! I'll Take it slower next time.

Anyone else familiar with these 'slopes' in between roads and curbs, I think they're for road draining. Nightmare for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

HowItsMade wrote: »
    beginner road cyclist, going through donnybrook village towards UCD at around 6pm, took the bend at kielys very awkwardly and ended up cycling down the slope between the curb/gutters and road. Managed to stay upright but chain came off and skidded all over the place with my toe coming through my shoe, Nightmare! I'll Take it slower next time.

Anyone else familiar with these 'slopes' in between roads and curbs, I think they're for road draining. Nightmare for cyclists.
    Is this the spot?
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-death-trap-irish-cycling-lane-in-action-on-busy-dublin-road/
    Looks hairy alright, I'd be moving well out from the side of the road around there.

51k @ 30.2kph. Beautiful day and just the one puncture! On the front wheel so think my luck is changing :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Cycled out to Howth from the city centre after work and back again. Such an odd day, the sun was shining in the city and then once you hit clontarf there was an eerie mist rising off the water that blew towards the cycle path and reduced visibility quite a bit at times.

Then at St Annes park, back to sun shine for 200 metres, Sutton Cross, sunshine for a km up the hill before mist again.

Then on the way back it looks like a guy is walking his bike along the path, when nope, he stands behind it, takes a run and up on his unicycle whose wheel must have had around a 4 foot diameter and mad wide tires.

On the south quays some guy on a motorbike doing wheelies in rush hour traffic.

A cyclist flying straight through the red light at O'Connell bridge with buses and trucks completely preventing him from seeing if something was coming north to south. His guardian angel was working overtime there.

You'd miss all that crazy if you were stuck in a car :)

The photo isn't mine, shamelessly stolen from twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

HowItsMade wrote: »

Yes, the camber is way too steep on many old roads - another like this is Castlewood Avenue in Rathmines. Keep meaning to report it to http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-road-maintenance-and-street-repair/repair-road-or-footpath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Up Kippure today for the first time, those ramps near the end are tough. Blessed I didn't crash coming down Stocking lane, almost lost the back wheel after slamming on due to a car cutting across my path at the viewing area. Perhaps swerving was the better option, hard though as its an instinctive response to hit the brakes when surprised like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dub 8 to Staffan tonight, haven't been on the bike properly in a few weeks. Been training hard in the gym the last while and it properly stood to me. No breaks apart from a nip into Barberstown to collect something for work and grabbed a water in the shop. Lovely evening for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

great spin home last night, flogged meself and did 30 kms in 76 mins.(a pb for me) a wonderful greeting when I made it home, a cold shower, a cold beer, a bbq steak dinner and then the match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just the commute in this morning - a little chillier than expected, had mist for the first 12 or 13 km, and then again on the climb up newtownpark avenue. had to take the glasses off as they were getting covered in condensation.

just the commute in this morning - a little chillier than expected, had mist for the first 12 or 13 km, and then again on the climb up newtownpark avenue. had to take the glasses off as they were getting covered in condensation.

Prescription glasses or cycling/sunglasses?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheapo €3 ones bought in aldi on monday.

• Advertisement

cheapo €3 ones bought in aldi on monday.

I had the cheapo ones and had the same problem. Started wearing my Oakleys and never have that problem. They're not cheap and i'm fearful of loosing or breaking them but I never get condensation unless I put them on my head at lights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had the cheapo ones and had the same problem. Started wearing my Oakleys and never have that problem. They're not cheap and i'm fearful of loosing or breaking them but I never get condensation unless I put them on my head at lights etc

I've been considering the upgrade from cheapy glasses to a set of Oakleys or similar... a lot of cash though.

Like others here I was faced with fog yesterday and this morning. Thought it was amazing really, looked really eerie coming down the coast from Baldoyle. It did make it chilly, and had to remove my sunglasses for a time.

Got my bike to work voucher on Monday, will be ordering a bike this evening, first new bike in 6 or 7 years. It'll take a long time to get used to having gears coming from my single speed!

I've been considering the upgrade from cheapy glasses to a set of Oakleys or similar... a lot of cash though.

I had the Oakleys already, I have a few pairs at home... a fool and their money and all that. I hadn't used them on the bike but on long journeys they are so much more comfortable, so much so that you forget you are wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Stunning​ day but as my bike is in LBS and no road Tyre for the turbo bike I'm going to have to put the turbo in the yard and convince myself it's just as good...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

dahat wrote: »
    Stunning​ day but as my bike is in LBS and no road Tyre for the turbo bike I'm going to have to put the turbo in the yard and convince myself it's just as good...

Put it out on the road, tucked in to the kerb and let local traffic go closely around you for the true feel of the cycle.

Put it out on the road, tucked in to the kerb and let local traffic go closely around you for the true feel of the cycle.

Hahaha!!!! Be some sight I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I had the Oakleys already, I have a few pairs at home... a fool and their money and all that. I hadn't used them on the bike but on long journeys they are so much more comfortable, so much so that you forget you are wearing them
    Love my salice glasses.

dahat wrote: »

Actually not as bad as I thought, lovely wind to cool the body down while hammering away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I cycled up to Bellewstown 4 times today, each time on a different road.

the locals probably thought you'd gone a little funny in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Since i got back to cycling a month ago, i have been building up distance on the Waterford Greenway.

Today i said i'd go for the full length, Waterford City to Dungarvan and back.

It was tough going but a good feeling getting it done.

I'll be sleeping on my front tonight ;)

It was my first metric century. Not bad on a Hybrid :p

Q2ZGfXc.png?3

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

An amazing day for the bike, probably the best of the year...

Took a spin out from Tallaght to Lucan, onto Celbridge and home via Peamount with a club mate. Fairly short spin due to time constraints but we managed 38km distance in 1hr 11mins at 32km/h average speed, average HR 168bpm.

Struggled to keep up with him at some points, had to tuck in behind him, then again he does have 20 extra kgs of weight than me to power along :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed up to pay Sally a visit, haven't been up there in over fifteen years, she hasn't aged a bit unfortunately I have:). Met an old competitor of mine up there, he was putting down the finishing line for the Orwell club race. Nice to see you again Eddie Lane.
    Anyways 53km, Avg just under 25 kph. Plenty of cyclist up there tonight. I went the manor Kilbride way up and came back down by kippure, hellfire club and home.
    Lovely evening for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

Left work at Eastpoint early yesterday (about 5:30) and could not believe the 2km queue of cars on the R108 along side airport main runway. They must have been delayed on that road at least 20 minutes as I smugly passed them by, enjoying the sunshine. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Rode to work on the good bike again as its so much nicer (and faster) than my usual commuting bike. First time I remember seeing my Garmin switch from night mode to day mode (at 05.10 if you were wondering...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's friday, nobody wants to be in work and I'm due a half day but then I remember I've a fairly important meeting scheduled for this afternoon. Got out at Lunch to the Park for a loop and back for 21km in 45 mins or so. Quays and North Circular road slowed me right down.

Cycled to work after lunch. This 1300 metre commute is torture

I cycled to "Storm in a Teacup" on the pier in Skerries today for an ice cream cone. I had a large 99 with sprinkles.
    I went to Skerries via Duleek, Kilmoon X, Garristown, Naul, Ballyboughall, Blakes X, Lusk and Rush. I came home via Black Hills, Balrothery, Balscadden, Gormanstown, Julianstown and Laytown.

The cone was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I cycled to "Storm in a Teacup" on the pier in Skerries today for an ice cream cone...
    I thought the long queues there looked out of place today given the drama taking place metres away.

• Advertisement

I thought the long queues there looked out of place today given the drama taking place metres away.

I only read about it, when I saw your post
    When I was enjoying my cone, I was full of the joys of life.
    Life can be so cruel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement