Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I wasn't cycling but I saw a poor divil down on the level crossing at Craughwell, two ambulances there, hope he'll be OK.

Seemed to be some kind of race between Loughrea and Galway

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

45Km around NCD @ 27.6 km/h.
    It was a bit blowy when I first headed out and I didn't really feel too energetic, but after a while the sun came out and it was quite pleasant out.
    Saw a group of lads in green kit a couple of times, I think with a van following them, but didn't get the chance to talk to them. Didn't see a single other cyclist out though

https://www.strava.com/activities/1017281241

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Just 35km today, first time on the bike in a month after a bout of bronchitis laid me low. Great to be out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had to pick stuff up from Fat Bloke of this forum, so headed towards south county Dublin and got my things (thanks again). They live enviously close to hills so got directed to the Viewing point from there and descended via Cruagh road. Did a few bits around the park and then headed for home.

80 km in a bit over 3 hours. Slow going, and I got the middle part of stocking lane all wrong, attacking it too hard.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1018960731

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭py

150Km, 3200m, 20Km/hr. Cracking day out, plenty of cyclists out in Enniskerry/Laragh and beyond. Ready for WW200 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm currently 413km into a 600km Audax, eating breakfast in Ballyconnel. Finishing time is 10pm today. I'll do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm currently 413km into a 600km Audax, eating breakfast in Ballyconnel. Finishing time is 10pm today. I'll do it...

Please tell me that you do ride your bike/train in between these epic spins? You just don't bother putting them on Strava?

Otherwise...

:eek:

No biking for me currently as I am resting/repairing my left knee. I was acting the wag with a set of wooshwoosh wheels week before last, and taking off in 50/11 like I'm Andre Greipel didn't please my ickle left knee at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Gentle little spin around random boreens in Youghal. The garmin route features needs some refinement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

120km with the club today with 900 elevation at 31.7km avg.

In a heap here now with some cramping near the end which does not bode well.or the W200 next week, a very easy week for me I think is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

70kms this morning into the city and back out through Stepaside. Saw a guy in a boards jersey around Blackrock college and gave a shout. Unfortunately won't be doing the Wicklow 200 next week due to being nowhere near ready for it and now finding out I've to work anyway. Preparing for next year starts now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭jamesd

114km spin today for Croi - Tour de lough Corrib.
    Averaged 27.5 so happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Giant Kudos to all those Audax riders who are on the last lap after completing almost 600km in less than 36 hours.
    Credit where its due.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Tour of Louth 105k today. Headed out too strong 29k travelled in the first hour into a headwind. By 50k I was struggling. Met some great people along the way.

Distance 107.7k
    Time 4:24:42
    Avg Speed 24.4 kph
    Elevation 628m

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Almost embarrassed to post my pre dinner 23kms with 500m climbed....heres the pretty route on relive hill climb efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I'd highly recommend anyone to check out the Tour of Louth next year! It's a really cool sportif event that I did for the first time today, well organized and well looked after.

As the name suggests it was a nice, and relatively fast-paced tour of County Louth.

I went full gas at the start and got dropped after 30 minutes by the breakaway, but then I jumped on a very cool train that was doing 30-35 kph/avg, strong but not sprinting the whole way, very good day on the saddle indeed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1020638300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Work commute this morning and first time crossing the mess that is Westmorland St in its current Luas works configuration in the wet.

I am VERY lucky. Rear wheel slipped and I went into the barrier.

Somehow managed to stay upright. Skinned my knuckle and grazed my brake lever! I have never unclipped so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Work commute this morning and first time crossing the mess that is Westmorland St in its current Luas works configuration in the wet.

I am VERY lucky. Rear wheel slipped and I went into the barrier.

Somehow managed to stay upright. Skinned my knuckle and grazed my brake lever! I have never unclipped so fast!

Apt username!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭secman

Sat. Up to ballyedmund and headed for castlebridge , wexford town, took left turn for curracloe, and back the meandering rolling coast road to Blackwater, Kilmuckridge, Ballygarrett, killenagh...home.
    66km avg 29.3 kph tired legs

Sun
    Lap around killenagh, Ballygarrett, Kilmuckridge, back to ballyedmund, left for road to Ferns and main road to Gorey. Down to courtown, Ballygarrett , killenagh and home.
    77 km avg 27.3 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Headed out from d8 to the mountains, sally gap, laragh, glendalough, wicklow gap, blessington and home. I havent done much more than 50k/2hrs in the saddle for a few months and i felt it today. Headwind the whole way to laragh was a killer and i was completely empty after the wicklow gap. Basically coasted home from there

110k in 4h48m, 1404m climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1022317047

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Please tell me that you do ride your bike/train in between these epic spins? You just don't bother putting them on Strava?

Ahem, no! I do very little weekly training, about 75km a week just getting around, BUT, I have been riding at least one 200km (or longer) ride every month for the three and a half years. I'm never more than six weeks from another 200.

Anyway, here's a link to the full 600. I finished in time and in good shape. It bodes well for London - Edinburgh-London 1400km at the beginning of August.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1022234212/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1496664358

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Apt username!

I'll bet I looked deadly flailing my legs and leaning against the Luas works fence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Did the Gran Fondo up North, enjoyed some aspects of it, hated others.
    Firstly having a shocking nights sleep the night before didnt help and I just didnt really enjoy the ride the way I should have that. Didnt feel I had much pep in me at all.
    The start from Stormont was an amazing site, a really iconic place to see thousands of cyclists moving off from.
    But the route just didnt suit the sheer numberof people and the first few proper climbs (dree hill + one other?) the bunching up was a complete joke, loads of people unclipping/stopping/falling off. Im pretty good at holding the bike at almost a complete stop so was able to progress better than most but it was still painful and cost a serious amount of time. At the first feed stop we arrived to no food! Ridiculous for an event such as this. As usual I wasnt aware of the cut off point just up the road at 10.15 and ended up missing it by 3 minutes. Was a bit annoyed but to be honest wasnt enjoying the ride so that annoyance soon turned to happiness! But a cut off 3.15hrs & 70km into an event that was slowed down so much by the number of riders was in my opinion very harsh. Im sure 2000+must have been effected by it.
    Second food stop was not much better, one small table serving coffee on a 5000 participant event is hilarious. Very little food beyond the energy crap from one of the sponsors. No cake, sandwiches or any real food. The two small sportives (cliffs of moher and lap de gaps) Ive done this year where a milion miles better in this regard.
    The free jersey is nice and the medal is good quality and a nice souvenir.
    Cycled too and from the hotel (7.5km e/w) and was aboslutely soaked on the way back after more or less avoiding rain all day! Typical!
    Its a nice route but I wasnt blown away by it, I find Wicklow and Kerry far more scenic and appealing, but thats just personal opinion.
    Im not sure Id go back, its a lot of money for one sportive with all the cost that goes with it.
    They probably need to plan the route/starts better to sort out the bunching early on, and really need to address the shocking level of food at the feed zones.
    Interested in others opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

terrydel wrote: »
    Firstly having a shocking nights sleep the night before didnt help and I just didnt really enjoy the ride the way I should have that. Didnt feel I had much pep in me at all.
    The start from Stormont was an amazing site, a really iconic place to see thousands of cyclists moving off from.
    But the route just didnt suit the sheer numberof people and the first few proper climbs (dree hill + one other?) the bunching up was a complete joke, loads of people unclipping/stopping/falling off. Im pretty good at holding the bike at almost a complete stop so was able to progress better than most but it was still painful and cost a serious amount of time. At the first feed stop we arrived to no food! Ridiculous for an event such as this. As usual I wasnt aware of the cut off point just up the road at 10.15 and ended up missing it by 3 minutes. Was a bit annoyed but to be honest wasnt enjoying the ride so that annoyance soon turned to happiness! But a cut off 3.15hrs & 70km into an event that was slowed down so much by the number of riders was in my opinion very harsh. Im sure 2000+must have been effected by it.
    Second food stop was not much better, one small table serving coffee on a 5000 participant event is hilarious. Very little food beyond the energy crap from one of the sponsors. No cake, sandwiches or any real food. The two small sportives (cliffs of moher and lap de gaps) Ive done this year where a milion miles better in this regard.
    Cycled too and from the hotel (7.5km e/w) and was aboslutely soaked on the way back after more or less avoiding rain all day! Typical!
    Its a nice route but I wasnt blown away by it, I find Wicklow and Kerry far more scenic and appealing, but thats just personal opinion.
    Im not sure Id go back, its a lot of money for one sportive with all the cost that goes with it.
    They probably need to plan the route/starts better to sort out the bunching early on, and really need to address the shocking level of food at the feed zones.

That sounds fairly crap in fairness. I read about it and it sounded class. It's hard to imagine that you were just unlucky...

It even got a piece on the BBC news

Whyner wrote: »
    terrydel wrote: »

That sounds fairly crap in fairness. I read about it and it sounded class. It's hard to imagine that you were just unlucky...

It even got a piece on the BBC news
    Not really sure what you mean. Unlucky in what sense?

As in the food was just cleared out and another batch hadn't arrived...

87.7k and 981m of up. Didn't have the will power to round either up

Decent spin for me on Sat morning although I bailed on taking on Wicklow Gap due to time constraints and not being up for it

Did Ballinascorney for the first time and then headed up Shankhill Rd/Scurlocks Leap. Got held up just past Kilbride Camp,3 loose ponies wandering around. Followed them for 500m but they dropped me before the descent, clean pair of hooves and all that. Then had my first boards encounter with Devonp, did a few k with him until I failed to take the left over Ballysmuttan bridge. His spin was a beast!!! Decided to turn back, take the bridge and headed on to Hollywood on N81, back home via Ballymore. Washed the bike on Sun...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1018944552

Slow going but enjoyed the new routes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭plodder

Whyner wrote: »
    As in the food was just cleared out and another batch hadn't arrived...
    It was cleared out.

plodder wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, a box of those bars came out and I asked for two (one for my brother) and was told I could only have one.
    The excuse about riders taking more than they should is disgraceful and a classic of blaming the victim (I know in this case that word is a bit dramatic). Ive done loads of sportives and that never happens (people being greedy) so why is this one any different. Fact is it isnt, and hes blaming the riders rather than his company, who Im sure profitted hugely from this event. A prick in my view.
    The food was a disgrace simple as, if the sponsor (named sports I think they are) hadnt supplied food there would have been basically none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Sunday, did Sandycove to Howth and back. Over the head via an insane lump along Strand Road/Sheilmartin Road (I think). Strava says 23% but my Garmin paused as I was going so slowly! Once back on Fintan's road it was fairly easy going.

This was the first real test on my back since the injury at Christmas so it was really nice to get something like a decent ride and a half decent climb into my legs. Eyeing up Sally Gap next weekend!

http://strava.com/activities/1020411612/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement