Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

In middle of an a4 3 day and getting an absolute kicking, beats the sofa I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Charity spin today Clonmel to Tramore then myself and a mate cycled back. Messy gwtting there with an unwillingness of lads to set up properly for rolling through...

108km total at 33.8km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Crocked wrote: »
    Yeah that dirt track the far side of the lake isn't really great on a road bike. Had you stayed straight where you u-turned the trail there is a bit better. Best way though if on a road bike is to not go along the lake at all. Continue up the road where you turned into the reservoir and turn left after the golf course. nice quiet country road will take you all the way around. Granted you miss cycling along beside the river/reservoir though

Yeah I should have established if the surface around it was tarmac before tackling it alright. Thank feck for Gatorskins is all I have to say!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dahat wrote: »
    108km total at 33.8km/h.
    bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭griffin100

Standard enough 70km until about 500m from home when something large and buzzy flew into my helmet and stung me on the forehead. 24hrs later and I look, according to me wife, like a cross between the elephant man and a Klingon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

griffin100 wrote: »
    Standard enough 70km until about 500m from home when something large and buzzy flew into my helmet and stung me on the forehead. 24hrs later and I look, according to me wife, like a cross between the elephant man and a Klingon.

Ouch.. Similar happened me today but managed to whip off the helmet before it got comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

griffin100 wrote: »
    something large and buzzy flew into my helmet and stung me on the forehead.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Ouch.. Similar happened me today but managed to whip off the helmet before it got comfy

A huge bumbler smacked into the lens on my glasses this morning and I was just thinking a couple of inches higher it would have been in my helmet!

God, that wind was a real leg-sapper earlier. No matter which direction I went it seemed to be head-on or side-on. The few tail-winds I got didn't seem to balance out the average speed either. :(

In work today but extended my commute to take in Howth (clockwise), Portmarnock, Malahide, Swords, 2 laps of the airport (anti-clockwise) and on into town via Drumcondra. Had to go around the block to get over the 70k mark 'cos that would have just annoyed the bejasus out of me. Total distance 70.4km and a moving time of 2hrs 50mins at a rather pedestrian 24.8km/h average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Went out over the Hill of Tara from Swords this morning. The headwind was phenomenal going out and we averaged a very sluggish 22k. With the wind behind us on the return leg, the averages were just insane and coming in at a fast (for us) 33kmh. One of the lads quipped that it would've been a brilliant winter run except for the temperature!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

crazy wind out there today in NCD
    Town - Howth: tailwind, Howth - Malahaide: Crosswind, Malahide - Swords - Ashbourne - Rathoath: Headwind, Ratoath - Kilbride - Blanch - home : All-over-the-shop wind.

86.6km in 3h21m, avg speed of 25.8kph

On course to the Great Dublin bike ride in under 4 hours, which is my aim, so happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/667713543/overview

https://www.relive.cc/view/667713543

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i stayed in this morning because of that wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Went out over the Hill of Tara from Swords this morning. The headwind was phenomenal going out and we averaged a very sluggish 22k. With the wind behind us on the return leg, the averages were just insane and coming in at a fast (for us) 33kmh. One of the lads quipped that it would've been a brilliant winter run except for the temperature!

Sounds like a Swords CC spin. If so, the Tara Specials in Maguires are always good for a few extra kph on the home leg pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There used to be a Wimp List thread for posts like this rather than discouraging enthusiastic Boardsies. Can't find it though as the Search function seems banjaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

There used to be a Wimp List thread for posts like this rather than discouraging enthusiastic Boardsies. Can't find it though as the Search function seems banjaxed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056763568

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Sounds like a Swords CC spin. If so, the Tara Specials in Maguires are always good for a few extra kph on the home leg pacman.gif
    Pfft! We've nothing to do with that group. They've a long way to go before we'd consider letting them cycle with us!!!! :pac: :pac: :pac:

But I won't lie and will admit Maguires offerings were consumed and did help! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

When you've been cycling for four hours - half that into a gale - a can of Coke is yer only man to get you home!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Tour of Kildare today, 110 km (plus the little bit down from the car park) in slightly over 3.5 hours rolling time. Saw a boardsie in pink and green kit on a Giant Defy but didn't get a chance to say hello. Now for rehydration!

https://www.strava.com/activities/667884657

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

The Tour of Kildare passes my front gate so it probably would have been logical to go and do it today, but I've had a few very busy weeks and the thought of bouncing around in a big peloton for 3 and a half or four hours seemed like more of the same so this morning I threw the bike in the van and headed over to Rosenallis which for me is the gateway to the Slieve Blooms.

Normally I'd park up there and ride down to Clonaslee, up over the Cut and Wolftrap have a coffee in Kinnitty and retrace my tracks back but this morning I decided to take the road less travelled so went to the coffee via the Ridge of Capard and the Glendine, the flat bit between the two was a bit longer than I expected and into the wind so my pace was a bit slower than target but I wasn't worried, they were lovely quiet roads ( I think I saw 3 cars and 2 tractors in the first 47km) with plenty of interest to keep me occupied. The two climbs are steep, Capard 22% max and Glendine 17% but not too long and as long as you don't go mad at the start just a matter of grinding it out, a big bonus was finding that most of the Offaly side of the Glendine has been resurfaced, and a good job done to, made for a nice drop down to Kinnity.

After the coffee the wind was more tail and side so I had a nice spin back to the van over the Wolftrap and the Cut, met a few Trim lads on the Cut, had a bit of a chat on the top.

All in all a very relaxing 84km with 1480m of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/667683096

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Tour of Kildare 110km for me today, it was windy out there but only the odd crosswind caused any bother. I always seemed to be in a pack or chasing one for the first 60-70km and it was mostly tailwind home after that.

The stretch out by the curragh was fantastic. I got a shocking time on "The Wall" but I stopped at the top to wait for a buddy and the timer kept going I guess. I'm going to have to go back soon and get a real time.

Nice to meet WA briefly at the food stop. I'm finally off the small list of those who have yet to do so.

I was trying out a new helmet today and it has left me with what can only be described as a Klingon ridge in the middle of my forehead. It's fading now but was quite funny when I first saw it.

Smashing burger at the end of a good day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I rode 225 km in that wind all day on a route I usually do in February. The only difference was the temperature otherwise it was grey and windy. Eating a 99 in Kells made a nice change from the usual hot cup of tea.

Thanks to the lads from Clontarf CC who let me take a tow for 20km. Watching the Strava fly-by is depressing but funny, they're all home and I'm still slogging away in the depths of Meath.

https://www.strava.com/activities/668355149

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Didn't bother going out today either, had a late night.3:00 am . Had a sleep in and headed to the beach for a nice sea swim..no wetsuit.. keeps me off the wimp list ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

secman wrote: »
    Didn't bother going out today either, had a late night.3:00 am . Had a sleep in and headed to the beach for a nice sea swim..no wetsuit.. keeps me off the wimp list ?

Feck off here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1527

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bit blowy out there this morning.

60k @25kph. The speed is slowly picking up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/668733036

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

10k @33 kph so far - however thats the downhill leg. The uphill leg later was going to be a nice 40km round trip but........and here's the thing......APPARENTLY, Look Keo cleats do not work with Look Delta pedals. Who knew? How could i possibly have forseen this? Old cleats went in the bin, bins are gone. Wiggle to the rescue, new pedals arrive tomorrow...but tonights ride home will be sub optimal......

RobFowl wrote: »

Nah.. dude feck that Did all that in a previous life... so I'm on the wimp list ? :)

still a bit windy out there, but it's constant rather than gusty.
    48km around NCD (out past ashbourne and back), average of 28.3km/h, which i'm slightly amazed by. i've been putting in sub-26km/h rides over 30-40ish distances consistently of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Doc07

Belated post but first ever 300km on Saturday. 308 to be exact.
    Dublin-Port Laoise-Sliabh Blooms-Athlone-Dublin.
    Great day out despite never getting the expected tail wind home.
    Plenty of leisurely stops but 26.8avg and home half hour before my target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

One of my last commutes in Zurich (bringing the bike home on Friday) and took a longer route around the airport. Nearly got creamed by a Polizei car unexpectedly appearing on the cycle track in front of me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was out this morning and got stopped by some randomer asking for a backer. I politely declined.

godtabh wrote: »
    Was out this morning and got stopped by some randomer asking for a backer. I politely declined.

A backer ?
    Ah just Googled it ...jsysus

Hey bud gis a backer I'm bleedin knackered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

godtabh wrote: »

Why would you refuse? Adding weight on a training run is the way to go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement