Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Cycling is great!
    Following an absolute **** few days where my father died and I walked out of the funeral 'afters' following a row with one of my sisters.
    Too much beer and eating crap with my brother who was home for the funeral.
    I felt crap this morning. Went to the supermarket early and came out with everythng i didnt need .
    Pumped up my tyres and went out.
    What a beautiful day.
    Stopped a high quarry and watched some sort of bird of prey using the wind to float.
    Took in the view across Lambay and Howth and across to the Wicklow moutains.
    Mileage didnt matter. HR didnt matter.
    Getting out and breathing fresh air mattered.
    Cycling is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

koutoubia wrote: »
    Cycling is great!

It certainly is the ultimate head-clearer.

Really sorry to hear about your dad. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

It certainly is the ultimate head-clearer.

It is.

On Friday morning I went to get some stuff form lIdl.
    Came back and had a shower.
    My wife gave me a coffee and told me to relax.
    I cane home form lIdl with 2 sliced pans.A packect of bagels and some chocolate.
    All that bread and she had just made a batch of scones and loaves of homemade bread.
    Something similar this morning but no chicken or salad for the chicken salad I was gonna make for dinner.Or cat food.
    Right better make a list and go back and get the proper stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

koutoubia wrote: »
    Cycling is great!

RIP sorry to hear that. The loss of the father is a fair wrench.

I've grieved more on bike than anywhere else. The ultimate bonk at times but no running from it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very sorry for your loss koutoubia. Certainly was something that took me quite an amount of time to get used to, still not there. I find being out alone in the hills to find a bit quiet time and space is a huge benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Sorry for your loss, I went through the same last August. Still going through it some days. The bike helped me through the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Went out to visit the family, was meant to follow the straight route out but decided that today was too sunny and nice to be stuck with traffic flying by me so ended up with a lovely 75k around the back roads of NCD. T'was bloody warm out!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1044265506

Sorry for your loss koutoubia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.strava.com/activities/1044574123

Up to three rock via kellystown, then across and up to the viewpoint via cruagh. Seriously hot going up ticknock, flies everywhere. Brakes are shot so iffy descending...

38k, 750m up. Great way to shake out the effects of over-indulging at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out to blessington this evening, did the little loop around Trooperstown back into blessington across bridge and back to manor kilbride, and back main road home. 47.6 km avg 26.6 kph. Tailwind out and headwind back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

After work, decided to go for a quick spin, got to the end of the drive noticed tyre was soft, back up to pump it up, couldn't get air into it, think the valve wa gone, changed the wheel, and off I went.

I cycled from Nenagh into Limerick to my parents house ~45km 28kmph average (my quickest yet), the plan was to drive my mothers car home to give it a spin as they are away on holidays. But the feckin thing wouldn't start, so I had to jump on the bike and cycle home, it was 21:45 when I left so it began to get dark quickly, only had my cheap flashing lights I use for rainy days, so had very little visibility the last 20km home, averaged 22kmph as I couldn't see where I was going, luckily it's the old N7 road so it's wide with cycle lanes both side,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Very sorry for your loss, Koutoubia, and also for your row. Keep the wheels turning and the heart warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was supposed to collect my new bike yesterday evening, called the shop in the morning and they said they'd have it ready. But when I got there, they said that the main guy who does the fittings wasn't actually in, so it'd be better to wait. Gah!

Cycle this morning was beautiful down the coast from Baldoyle to Fairview, a nice breeze pushing me along. I don't know how others feel about this, but the amount of cyclists cycling 2 abreast on segregated cycle lanes where there is no room to pass is too damn high! I had 2 groups come towards me today and only at the very last second did they yield. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Missed my early morning spin so took a slightly extended spin out towards Enniskerry and some of the back roads and lumpy bohereens around Barnaslingen / Murphys lane area. Tempted to take the bike up to the tower at the leadmines next time out, anyone know whether the tracks are handy enough on a CX bike? Was thinking of starting from here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Been more than a year since I was hit by a car but yesterday my bike was fixed and I tried it out, was quite anxious but took it for a small spin, you think every car will hit you! Arm was still pretty weak and it was sore but it was a lovely day for it!

SlbfQXI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

smacl wrote: »
    Missed my early morning spin so took a slightly extended spin out towards Enniskerry and some of the back roads and lumpy bohereens around Barnaslingen / Murphys lane area. Tempted to take the bike up to the tower at the leadmines next time out, anyone know whether the tracks are handy enough on a CX bike? Was thinking of starting from here

I doubt it would be much fun going up that path on the CX - it gets pretty rough after the initial section. You should be able to get to the tower via the paths in the forest which are wheelchair accessible. You can get to those by using that entrance and taking the immediate right or else enter from the car park a few hundred yards up the road. YMMV.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

smacl wrote: »

I've taken the cx bike from there to the tower, no problems

https://www.strava.com/activities/178263418

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Been more than a year since I was hit by a car but yesterday my bike was fixed and I tried it out, was quite anxious but took it for a small spin, you think every car will hit you! Arm was still pretty weak and it was sore but it was a lovely day for it!

Fair play to you! And best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Had my daughters graduation from creche this morning so took the rest of the day off and went for a spin. 70kms Greystones to Ringsend and back through Dalkey. Love being out on the bike when you are supposed to be in work! Forgot suncream though so got roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Nice evening grovel up Cruagh, Viewing point to Sally Gap, Lugalla, Sugar Loaf, Enniskerry and home.

Got a bizarre KOM from Enniskerry to Ranelagh because I was in a rush to get to Boojum before they closed. Made it with a few minutes to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Absolutely glorious club spin this morning from Swords out to Slane mainly on back roads that were new to most of us. Excellent coffee and scones at Hugo's Farm Shop before more by-ways back to Swords. Enjoyed it so much that I did a Baldoyle to Fairview loop on the way home rather than heading in the airport road.
    We are really lucky in the club to have a few generous guys who are prepared to share their detailed knowledge of the roads, lanes, potholes and delights of NCD, Meath and Kildare with the rest of us. Take a well deserved bow Wardie and Frank if you are reading this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

SlbfQXI.jpg

Fair play to you for getting back out there!
    The bike looks beautiful btw

Not my cycle to report, I've the the wee one down to one stabiliser !!!

Her mammy had her on her bike this evening wheeling her around on a big girls bike and we were pissing ourselves laughing at her little legs instinctively pumping away at invisible peddles as she was held up :pac:

This bodes well for a Tour de Back Garden vs her bitter rival max the dog in a few weeks , the Giro was carnage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Picked up the bike yesterday evening after getting new bottom bracket fitted, and took the backroads (just 10k) and there was huge crash right in front of me.

Junction between Beamore rd & Beabeg rd south of Drogheda, I was coming from Platin towards the junction, no cars waiting to cross the road and there was a red Audi coming from Southgate towards Platin, I was just easing off the pedal and entering the junction, a silver VW Passat (I think) came flying in from the left (from Beamore Cross, heading to Naul direction) and failed to stop - he went straight across the path of the red Audi, Audi slamms into the passenger side rear door of the VW, which lifts the back of the car a bit, spins it around 180 degrees, and the car ends up facing on the Naul side of the road facing the opposite direction. I ran over expecting worse, but even though both cars were totally wrecked, but amazingly driver of the Audi and the two occupants of the VW both get out uninjured. Pretty shaken up but no cuts / bruises, thanks to all the airbags and modern engineering. Hung around for a while to call emergency etc for them and gave both parties my details just in case if they need witness etc - but it was pretty clear who was at fault there, unfortunate really.

Only after getting home myself I realised that I had a narrow escape. Silver Passat crossed the road about 10 meters ahead of me and I saw it land on my right - that is I had gone past the junction by the time I could stop the bike!! Could have been a lot worse.. This thought and that there was a Group 1 child seat in the Passat (although no child in the car at the time of the crash) - tiny bit unsettling to think how fickle everything is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Decided to visit the in laws in Howth Sunday but suggested to the wife that we try and cycle over (about 26kms from Deansgrange)

Packed a picnic and headed off along Blackrock Park, Sandymount, Eastlink and then onto the cycle path at Clontarf. Stopped around Dollymount for a sandwich and reached Howth in good shape.

Plan was to take the Dart back but as the day was so nice I persuaded her to go back along the cycle path and we could divert to the Dart at any stage.

She was "definitely" getting the Dart at Clontarf but when we got there she was "definitely" getting the Dart at Sandymount.

Anyway she made it back home without the Dart for a total of 52kms, her longest ever.

Slightly sore a**e but otherwise perfect.

The cycle path really makes a difference for people like her who enjoy cycling but find mixing with traffic stressful..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Indeed it does and would be even lovelier if you ditched that awful bidon and got a black 500ml one (or two). :p:D

PS - well said on the 'battle' bit. Someone very close to me goes through the same battle on a regular basis. ;)

I do have them, but they are for gels and stuff. I prefer the clear one for liquids.
    2h4hson.jpg

Managed to knock out 103 odd KM on Sunday, while on a solo SASTR spin. That being a Stop And Smell the Roses spin. Just out enjoying myself, in a relentless sun. Big up to Lidl Cien Factor 50+ SpF for Kids, which kept me non-african-american.

Which was cool, as I have "autum brown" hair colouring.

It was a nice day out playing. https://www.strava.com/activities/1042708037

I have since however, upgraded the AS.

She's lovely!

2dj1awo.jpg

OK so that was my much loved cat...
    the upgrade...

xkqakn.jpg

I couldn't resist!

Plus I'm a lunatic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Excellent coffee and scones at Hugo's Farm Shop ....
    You neglected to tell them that Hugo had to remove the fabulous home made jam from you as you had gone through half a jar on your scone!
    ...We are really lucky in the club to have a few generous guys who are prepared to share their detailed knowledge of the roads, lanes, potholes and delights of NCD, Meath and Kildare with the rest of us. Take a well deserved bow Wardie and Frank if you are reading this.
    Frank's knowledge of every boreen in Leinster never ceases to amaze me especially considering he doesn't use any GPS gadgets to plot routes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭secman

Usual mid week spin to Blessington, out main road and back through manor kilbride, Brittas and back main road home. Thought I was going to get drenched just about 3 km before Blessington, got very dark and started to spit huge drops of rain. Fortunately it passed over and remained dry for rest of spin. 45 km avg 27.7 kph as per Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Loving my commute 60km each day. Suns out, schools out , traffics down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not going as far as you - 39km round trip - but am really enjoying it at the moment. only downside is the getting out of the shower and being covered in sweat again within a minute of towelling off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Took advantage last night of the longest day of the year and got out for an hour an change exploring the new neighborhood. Went up Bohernabreena in the hopes of avoiding a hill like Montpellier, plan was an hour in zone 2, realised that was a mistake but too late turn back and kept going. Hadnt looked at maps but assumed the road would bring me around to Military Road eventually which it did. Then back down by viewing point and Masseys to home. Need a lot of work both going up and down hills, think I might need new brake pads after the descent :pac:

Got home about half 9 and still bright

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement