Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

the upgrade...

xkqakn.jpg

Upgrade??

That shed doesn't look any different to me........ :P:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Noticeably cooler coming in this morning. But I was glad of it, I was on holidays the last 2 weeks so I was trying to push it to get the fitness back! There was a bit of a headwind and a couple of commuter races were had too... well at least I was racing anyway:P

Hopefully collecting my new bike this evening, my third evening trying to get it so fingers crossed that all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Had a beautiful/brutal cycle yesterday afternoon, did an FTP test up Stocking Lane and set a new best. It's probably not the best road for doing one with the few little downhills on it, so hopefully could go even better on a steadier road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Miklos wrote: »
    Had a beautiful/brutal cycle yesterday afternoon, did an FTP test up Stocking Lane and set a new best. It's probably not the best road for doing one with the few little downhills on it, so hopefully could go even better on a steadier road.

Next time try the road running along side stocking lane up cruagh. Just after a small downhill there's a bridge. I use that as the starting point of my FTP tests. The only piece you've to slow down for is the junction by the first viewing point.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Next time try the road running along side stocking lane up cruagh. Just after a small downhill there's a bridge. I use that as the starting point of my FTP tests. The only piece you've to slow down for is the junction by the first viewing point.

I had an abortive test that way last week, made the mistake of going left after the bridge up to Pine Forest which just isn't long enough. I'll give the other way a go next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Noticeably cooler coming in this morning. But I was glad of it, I was on holidays the last 2 weeks so I was trying to push it to get the fitness back! There was a bit of a headwind and a couple of commuter races were had too... well at least I was racing anyway:P

Hopefully collecting my new bike this evening, my third evening trying to get it so fingers crossed that all is well.

I do miss the commuter racing along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

Cycled from work (city centre) out along the S2S cycleway, then on to Donaghmede and home via same route. A bit less than 35km. A bit of a headwind on the way back along the clontarf road and I was carrying a laptop and a google home smartspeaker (which is what i had to go to Donaghmede to collect for my brother.)

Made me realise how valuable padded cycling shorts are. I always wear them on longer weekend cycles but I don't wear them on my (7km) commute. So i wasn't wearing them yesterday. Was also using my hybrid rather than weekend road bike. I was sore by the time I got home. Blood sugar was also low, I had only a small lunch. I don't carry a water bidon on my hybrid and had not hydrated well before I left.

I was glad to get home, 35km took more out of me than a 100km weekend spin, and I was certainly glad to get out of the saddle. Sore and on the verge of bonking when I got into the house.

Turns out preparation is important! I really didn't expect this cycle to knock a feather out of me.

My wife has recently started coming on shorter cycles at the weekend with me - 40 to 60 km or so. In fact we went to howth not that long ago which was pretty similar to this route, a little longer maybe since we started from Blackrock rather than city centre. She uses my hybrid and has no cycling clothing. I hadn't appreciated how much more difficult that is than on my road bike.

First commute on the new bike, Giant Contend SL 2 Disc. The bike is great, but the head wind was horrendous. Way worse than I was expecting, I think I would have avoided the coast had I known it would be as bad. But, this time I had gears on my bike to change down to which was nice! I'm running MTB clipless pedals as I had MTB shoes, a good bit stiffer to clip out of which will take some getting used to! But all good, and it looks like it will at least be dry for the cycle home. Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Down in Sligo again this weekend and decided to hit Truskmore. Weather was quite breezy but I didn't get much in the way of tailwind for the spin. Dull enough too and average temperature was around 12 degrees, only 7 up top of the mountain.
    Anyone who fancies a climb and hasn't been up Truskmore should seriously get themselves over to Sligo. It's a fking brute. The full climb from the turn in Ballintrillick is 8km@7% but it's the 4km@10% once you cross the barrier thats the killer. The views are absolutely stunning and a nice distraction from the surface, cattle grids, sheep sh!t and ramps which regularly go into the high teens. There's one stretch of about 200m which hovers relentlessly at 18-20%.

I've used this as a gauge the past few years to see if I'm improving any bit so I'm well chuffed today, took 3:28 off my previous best time. Still a painful experience, my lower back was beginning to spasm near the top and my quads were in tatters.
    Descent was hairy too. A few vicious gusts had me all over the shop near the top.

The spin home was hardy enough too but tbh I was only in meandering mode anyway so I just plodded along.

86.4km in 3:22 with 1118m climbing
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1053174836/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Club Sportive today in aid of a local school, 2 routes 40km & 120km with the 120km being a rather tasty looking crew of more than established abilities....

My own 40th last night which ended at 2am with more than a reasonable amount of Bulmers consumed probably wasnt the best prep. Felt like hell for the first 30km but slowly came round then discovered a 35km avg for first 60km or so was the reason for dead legs early.

Second part hurt more and more thanks to a horrid back road from Carrick to Clonmel but got through it then had a dig at the end for some fun but Kilcash Hill put paid to that fun!!!

All n all a great day.... 122km at 34.4km/h!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Fian wrote: »
    My wife has recently started coming on shorter cycles at the weekend with me - 40 to 60 km or so. In fact we went to howth not that long ago which was pretty similar to this route, a little longer maybe since we started from Blackrock rather than city centre. She uses my hybrid and has no cycling clothing. I hadn't appreciated how much more difficult that is than on my road bike.

…so you're going to swap bikes and get her some nice cycling clothes ;)

(admittedly speaking as one who tends to cycle in linen trousers and a T-shirt, though nowadays on a nice light hybrid)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Missed most of the good weather lately due to other commitments and just being tired since big cycle weekend 2 weeks ago so went out today. Plan was to do an hour or 2 I see how felt.

Chest was at me early on, and I needed my inhaler for the first time in 2 years. Stuff kept falling out of my pockets too so had to stop to get it. But eventually found some rythm and went onto Naul. Decided to take on Snowtown and then looped around Four Knocks and double back to do it the other way twice.

Stopped in Naul for lunch in the place I've heard about loads. Biggest most welcome cup of coffee I've had in sometime.

Onto old town and zig zagged my way back to Santry to try and make up the KM.

100 solo in 3hr 33mins @ 28 kph with around 1100 m.

I've now already done more than I did in total last year in less time too.

Also. Got an immeasurable number of waves and nothing but good and patient drivers all-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭cython

Down in Wexford (specifically Enniscorthy) this weekend, so the OH and I cycled down to Wexford to watch the nationals. Took a reasonably direct way down, joining the N11 at Edermine, and heading south from there. Joined up with 3 lads from Wexford who were on their way back from Enniscorthy at the time. Hung around Ferrycarrig for a while, rolling to and fro between the bottom of the climb, and where they rejoined that road past the railway bridge before heading into the finish line for the end of the Ladies' race. While there saw one very hairy moment where a couple of support cars got stuck before the road curved around (there was a mechanical being fixed), and two riders did very well not to rear-end them, veering through a gap on the RHS. The marshals stepped in and tried to stop any more cars proceeding up to keep that little gap open, though the Aqua Blue car was none too pleased about that and were close to running him down! :eek: It was also interesting to see groups go up there reasonably together, and re-emerge a lot more split up :)

Anyway, in at the finish, watched the various groups come through for a while and heard the news of the ladies race being pulled in, and I can tell you it wasn't well received. Once they had come through we decided to wander away for a while, and came back to find our spots on the line (seriously, right on it, you can see us in the finish videos!) were still there, so hung out to watch the finish of the Men's race. Good craic, and once most riders were through, we headed back to Enniscorthy the long and lumpy way around, by the Heritage Centre, Ballyhogue, etc. and that was definitely the tougher way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Didn't get out at all over the weekend, so went for a quick post work spin from Dublin city centre to carton house and back. Grey, not too cold, quietish roads on the way out. A few prs, including one in the park on the way out, towing behind someone, sorry for sandbagging!

49.2km @27.6kph with little wind, getting the avg speed up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1055464600

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on my commute in this morning, between ballymun road and the junction at booterstown dart station, i managed to only hit a single red light, a slightly odd but welcome event.

and i seem to have picked up a fan club on the leopardstown road, a woman in a small black car who beeps at me angrily for not using the cycle path. it's at least the second time she's done so - and it's the woman who drives on her own in a car with L plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

on my commute in this morning, between ballymun road and the junction at booterstown dart station, i managed to only hit a single red light, a slightly odd but welcome event.

Opposite to me me last night on my usual route - country roads and boreens - I had to stop at almost every junction. Had to unclip and get off on one lane due to a large van and no room.

The smell of fermenting grass and slurry was breathtaking - not in a good way!

Seven Worlds will Collide

and i seem to have picked up a fan club on the leopardstown road, a woman in a small black car who beeps at me angrily for not using the cycle path. it's at least the second time she's done so - and it's the woman who drives on her own in a car with L plates.

Something in the air then. I didn't get a single red light between Santry Cross to Whitworth road and then got only 1 more to the IFSC.

I think I may as well have swam into work this morning. I was absolutely drowned by the time I got in. But to be fair, it's the first time in a long time I've gotten so soaked! First commute in the wet on the new bike. Disc brakes are awesome. No loss of brake power despite the rain. I'm still not 100% familiar enough with the new tires to know where the grip limit is, but so far so good. Hopefully it will dry up in the afternoon.

Had a beautiful spin last night around the hills in and around Glencree/Glencullen, followed by a pint and a packet of peanuts in Johnnie Fox's before descending home. Everything was tip-top until I went into the cycle lane after the Beacon, pretty much immediately got a puncture! Serves me right, I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, yesterday was definitely a day of two halves - we had torrential rain in the morning, and a beautiful evening, got out for a 35km spin around NCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Miklos wrote: »
    Had a beautiful spin last night around the hills in and around Glencree/Glencullen, followed by a pint and a packet of peanuts in Johnnie Fox's before descending home. Everything was tip-top until I went into the cycle lane after the Beacon, pretty much immediately got a puncture! Serves me right, I suppose.

I was working up in Sandyford up until recently enough, when I stopped using the cycle lanes in the area I stopped getting punctures

lovely morning for it, got 50k in around NCD.

passed two lads on a tandem, they were heading north towards ballyboughal when i passed - that wouldn't have been mercian pro of this parish?

lovely morning for it, got 50k in around NCD.

passed two lads on a tandem, they were heading north towards ballyboughal when i passed - that wouldn't have been mercian pro of this parish?

Did the same myself. Airport, Ballyboughal, Naul, Oldtown and home. 53 k in 1 hr 45. My recovery idea went out the window as I hammered it as much as possible

It woke up with the intention of going to Cruagh and Stocking lane but legs said no. I'm not Jens Voigt and I listen to my legs. They wouldn't even entertain the thought of Snowtown after dragging me up it a few times already this week.

Great conditions all the same and saw loads out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Saw them too, haven't seen a tandem bike in a loong time!

I did Drogheda-Howth-Drogheda - as part of trying to up the time on the saddle, and yeah so many bikes out today, it's such a contrast to my usual rides towards north of Drogheda, where you are pretty much on your own in the countryside. First time in Malahide/Howth with bike and I can totally see the attraction - it's beautiful that way. Also not so sore anymore in the saddle, my bottom must be getting used to the standard boardman E4P seat, although I have a Cambium C17 coming in few days. Other sore points were palm of the right hand and right elbow, both seems to more manageable this week. Neck and shoulders are still hurting but I am sure I just have to HFTU eventually.

5 hours, 110k, Happy!

Weepsie wrote: »
    Did the same myself. Airport, Ballyboughal, Naul, Oldtown and home.
    i went out garristown-ardcath-naul-ballyboughal.
    lovely tailwind on the road that runs from north of ardcath back over to the foot of snowtown, just at the foot of the southbound climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Docklands - Stillorgan - up the Embankment - Brittas - Sally Gap - Roundwood - Newtownmountkennedy with a stop in Fischers - Bray - Shankill - Stillorgan - Docklands.

One of those days. Legs were exhausted after Sally Gap. It was slow home until I got to Stillorgan. I seemed to get a second wind then and got a number of PRs after that.

110km and 5 hrs 24 min in the saddle and 1,445m of up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1064113383

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

D8 - military road - kippure - sally gap - kippure estate - ballinagee - ballinascorney.

First summit of kippure this year, and met a fella from gorey at the top who was checking it off the bucket list, reckons it was handy enough compared to Mt Leinster - secman was that you???
    Lovely tailwind for the return into dublin

63,500m horizontal, 1,142m vertical, 2h 50m

https://www.strava.com/activities/1064206841

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭plodder

i went out garristown-ardcath-naul-ballyboughal.
    lovely tailwind on the road that runs from north of ardcath back over to the foot of snowtown, just at the foot of the southbound climb.
    Similar route myself today, except with a detour into Bellewstown. Love those hills.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1064039731

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Plastik

Kippure is a walk in the park compared to the 3km mast road on Mt. Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Plastik

Kippure is a walk in the park compared to the 3km mast road on Mt. Leinster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement