Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went on the doss today, just like being back in school. I told the boss I had to go to the dentist and high tailed it out the gate at lunch. It felt great 😂

Went up Bohernabreena, Ballinascorney and down by the firing range and then up the Sally gap. Curiosity got the better of me and I turned towards Kippure to see just how bad the road surface is. Well to be blunt, it's an absolute fückin disgrace. Whoever sanctioned that and then oversaw it being left like that needs to be ran. I wouldn't mind but there's glorious new asphalt beside it so I just don't get what the hell they're at.

Anyway, today was not a day for giving out. I had a grand leisurely spin down to Laragh and a very tasty slice of cake and coffee. Then took a ramble up Shay Elliot and back down before going back up the Gap. I love descending but I also love climbing with a bit of tailwind. That long drag up to the crossroads was great today. Got my rhythm going and pretended to myself that I really could climb. Went full Pantani out of the saddle and on the drops at one stage when a slow moving SUV went past and I jumped in to the draft. Bald head, big ears, 5'8"... The similarities end there though :D

Went back over Ballinascorney and down to the car and clocked in for 101km with 1700m climbed in 4:21@24kmh. Brilliant day out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1101172270

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Club spin but only six of us, my first time out in 10 days or so... 49.9 km at 31.8kmph...(50@32��)
    Struggled in the wind along the louth coast but we enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

First big wind since the start of summer for my morning commute. I was killed cycling in. Average speed for me on my 15km commute would be over 30km/h usually, I was down to more like 22km/h. I could have pushed a tad harder, but I was already pushing hard as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Down in Kerry for the week, weather not meant to be great. Very windy this morning, so went for a leisurely 40km Spin around Slea Head on the dingle peninsula. Glorious scenery. Was thankful for the wind in one way. Slowed me down to enjoy the views (not that I would have been much faster without it)

https://www.relive.cc/view/1102262648

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Down in Kerry for the week, weather not meant to be great. Very windy this morning, so went for a leisurely 40km Spin around Slea Head on the dingle peninsula. Glorious scenery. Was thankful for the wind in one way. Slowed me down to enjoy the views (not that I would have been much faster without it)

https://www.relive.cc/view/1102262648

I wasn't aware of that website , it's brilliant!!!

I must do one myself one of the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭devonp

headed out from work on one of my usual summer commute routes home,
    left overshoes and mudguard at work(from this morning)
    got up Cruagh to the viewing point where it was very dark (prob 6.15-6.30pm) and the heavens opened, really opened. waited 10-15 mins under a tree, seemed to lighten off , headed up the featherbeds towards Cunard turn-off, the rain (monsoon) started getting heavier , turned around and descended Stocking lane in full shiver mode through the rapids(slowly). one of my worst weather experiences on a bike(at least in winter you might expect and be prepared for the weather conditions)
    pins and needles in feet and hands when i got home (of course the sun was out!!)
    must plan better!!!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1103032670

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I wasn't aware of that website , it's brilliant!!!

I must do one myself one of the days.
    It's great for unique rides, you sync it to strava and you typically get an email from them about 30min after you upload your ride. I ignore Ones for club/local rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

no spins for me at the moment, betty swollocks is at the bike doctors, I did however see a stunning ride this morning on Dorset St about 07.20-07.30ish, I think a pair of Mavic Ksyriums for its shoes and a white frame, black seat post. no branding on so no make or model.

Normally I am not a fan of white frames but this just looked the dogs b****x.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

devonp wrote: »
    headed out from work on one of my usual summer commute routes home,
    left overshoes and mudguard at work(from this morning)
    got up Cruagh to the viewing point where it was very dark (prob 6.15-6.30pm) and the heavens opened, really opened. waited 10-15 mins under a tree, seemed to lighten off , headed up the featherbeds towards Cunard turn-off, the rain (monsoon) started getting heavier , turned around and descended Stocking lane in full shiver mode through the rapids(slowly). one of my worst weather experiences on a bike(at least in winter you might expect and be prepared for the weather conditions)
    pins and needles in feet and hands when i got home (of course the sun was out!!)
    must plan better!!!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1103032670

Was up there last night at about same time. Got as far as junction where you turn left for Glencullen so cut our losses and cycled over to Lamb Doyles and had a few pints.

As we were coming down towards Glencullen I was amazed at the amount of people heading up in summer gear. I had the overshoes, rain jacket, mudguards and plenty of layers and I was still miserable.

and to make matters worse kitchen was closed in Lamb Doyles so no sausage and chips.

More wind on my commute. Actually feeling fitter these days, can slog it out better on the new bike compared with the single speed. I nearly snot myself when I arrived at my destination. I went to clip out and my shoe wouldn't release (spd mtb style pedals/cleats). Managed to get the other foot out and down. Ended up having to remove my shoe to get off the bike!

One of the screws for the cleat had come loose, meaning the cleat was spinning when I was attempting to twist out. I've tightened the bejaysis out of them now, and added some tip-ex to the screw in a bid to bind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

More wind on my commute. Actually feeling fitter these days, can slog it out better on the new bike compared with the single speed. I nearly snot myself when I arrived at my destination. I went to clip out and my shoe wouldn't release (spd mtb style pedals/cleats). Managed to get the other foot out and down. Ended up having to remove my shoe to get off the bike!

One of the screws for the cleat had come loose, meaning the cleat was spinning when I was attempting to twist out. I've tightened the bejaysis out of them now, and added some tip-ex to the screw in a bid to bind them.

Buy some threadlock, tippex will just break down. Also don't over tighten them, threadlock and a normal amount of torque.

Or just get road pedals :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Waa in Sofia with work, the hotel had free bikes for use. Cycled around the city, taking in all the sights for 3 hours. Then swapped for a mountain bike & enjoyed the off road & around downhill trails in the massive park next to the hotel. Bliss.

Buy some threadlock, tippex will just break down. Also don't over tighten them, threadlock and a normal amount of torque.

Or just get road pedals :pac:

Ah the tipex is just a stopgap. I'll get some threadlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ah the tipex is just a stopgap. I'll get some threadlock.
    The pedal tension may be too tight putting pressure on the cleat bolts.

I'd be cautious about over-tightening them as they may be a curse to remove when you need to change them and you may end up 'ringing' the bolts.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Waa in Sofia with work, the hotel had free bikes for use. Cycled around the city, taking in all the sights for 3 hours. Then swapped for a mountain bike & enjoyed the off road & around downhill trails in the massive park next to the hotel. Bliss.

Do they still drive like maniacs over there? Remember on more than one occasion being in a cab and for them to cut across 3 lanes for the off ramps :eek:

There are some great areas around Vitosha Mountain for off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Attempted Drogheda - Buncrana today.

I have been kinda preparing for this since the idea came into my head in early June. At that time I could only ride 30k comfortably, 50k at a push, so 210k was a bit of an audax (audacious) to me personally. Training was simple enough. I slowly increase my Sunday morning rides slowly and the longest I could manage (barely) was around 110k, most of the rides were around 80k.

I set off early from Drogheda, and Google navigation took me over Hill of Rath road to get to Collon. I think there are better roads that that - Hill of Rath road is neither flat, nor good surfaced. Gave up on Google navigation after that and went with the route I know (N2, A5). And it rained non-stop. I kept going but didn't even make to Castleblaney before everything went wrong. Rear wheel puncture. I have only been riding 3 months and I have never had a puncture all this time, but I was kinda prepared - tyre levers, puncture patch kit, two spare tubes. On N2, raining hard, trucks flying by doing 100kmph, no shelter what so ever for miles ahead, I had no choice but to sort it out in that rain - absolute hell!! Anyway, wheel out, new tube in, tyre back on, pumped up - valve looks funny but holding pressure. Luckily a gentleman pulled over to see if I was okay. Turns out he's from Buncrana, where I am heading! He offered to drop me to Castleblaney or to nearest garage etc, but thick brained that I am said I will be alright. He takes off, I decided to pump up the tyre a bit more - and now the core is gone from the valve! WTF?!! I am starting to shake from cold at this stage. Right, new tube out, inflated old tube, found the tiny hole, tried my best to patch it but I was sure it wasn't going to work as rain kept pelting down and there was no shelter and nothing dry anywhere to wipe the tube dry. Tube goes back on tyre, pumped up and... tip of the valve missing. Now it dawns on me that while I bought all the stuff, I just don't have the knack to pump up the tyre, and I am wrecking the flimpsy presta valve every time I try. I decide to walk to Castleblaney, but I am shaking so much I can't get the wheel back in. I was in a right bind. Luckily, another man pulls over, checks if I am okay. By some miracle, he's also from Buncrana!!!! We load up the bike into the van, pop the heating on, hit the road, and find the bike shop in Monaghan. He offered to drive me right to Buncrana even, absolute gentleman and life saver! Thanks Davis!!

Bike gets a new tube at Monaghan (again super nice folks there), rain clears a bit and I am all warmed up and I hit the road again. This time everything went well. Stopped at Kellys Inn for a bite to eat and practically camped there for an hour until Mrs & kids caught up with me. Somewhat dry and back on road again, but only to get soaked by more rain. Over and again. By the time I got past Derry and made to Burnfoot, I was starting to hit the wall, thighs threatening to cramp etc. Just a few kms from my destination, I had to stop and top up with a Lucozade (works well, good to know as this will be useful for DCM), and picked up some strength and pedaled up the final hill that cars go up on 1st gear. Happy that I did this, although I wish it didn't rain so much, or knew how to use a portable pump correctly!!

TLDR; Overall about 180 kms in little over 7 hours. Parts of N2 not good, too many close passes. A5 relatively better. Humbled by the most kind, generous and decent folks that comes to your help when you most need it! That's really the highlight of this trip!

Photos:

Aughnacloy
    423641.jpg

Area of Spectacular Natural Beauty - Sperrins.. somewhere before Strabane.
    423642.jpg

View over Lough Swilly is worth all the effort
    423643.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

positron wrote: »
    Attempted Drogheda - Buncrana today.

I have been kinda preparing for this since the idea came into my head in early June. At that time I could only ride 30k comfortably, 50k at a push, so 210k was a bit of an audax (audacious) to me personally. Training was simple enough. I slowly increase my Sunday morning rides slowly and the longest I could manage (barely) was around 110k, most of the rides were around 80k.

I set off early from Drogheda, and Google navigation took me over Hill of Rath road to get to Collon. I think there are better roads that that - Hill of Rath road is neither flat, nor good surfaced. Gave up on Google navigation after that and went with the route I know (N2, A5). And it rained non-stop. I kept going but didn't even make to Castleblaney before everything went wrong. Rear wheel puncture. I have only been riding 3 months and I have never had a puncture all this time, but I was kinda prepared - tyre levers, puncture patch kit, two spare tubes. On N2, raining hard, trucks flying by doing 100kmph, no shelter what so ever for miles ahead, I had no choice but to sort it out in that rain - absolute hell!! Anyway, wheel out, new tube in, tyre back on, pumped up - valve looks funny but holding pressure. Luckily a gentleman pulled over to see if I was okay. Turns out he's from Buncrana, where I am heading! He offered to drop me to Castleblaney or to nearest garage etc, but thick brained that I am said I will be alright. He takes off, I decided to pump up the tyre a bit more - and now the core is gone from the valve! WTF?!! I am starting to shake from cold at this stage. Right, new tube out, inflated old tube, found the tiny hole, tried my best to patch it but I was sure it wasn't going to work as rain kept pelting down and there was no shelter and nothing dry anywhere to wipe the tube dry. Tube goes back on tyre, pumped up and... tip of the valve missing. Now it dawns on me that while I bought all the stuff, I just don't have the knack to pump up the tyre, and I am wrecking the flimpsy presta valve every time I try. I decide to walk to Castleblaney, but I am shaking so much I can't get the wheel back in. I was in a right bind. Luckily, another man pulls over, checks if I am okay. By some miracle, he's also from Buncrana!!!! We load up the bike into the van, pop the heating on, hit the road, and find the bike shop in Monaghan. He offered to drive me right to Buncrana even, absolute gentleman and life saver! Thanks Davis!!

Bike gets a new tube at Monaghan (again super nice folks there), rain clears a bit and I am all warmed up and I hit the road again. This time everything went well. Stopped at Kellys Inn for a bite to eat and practically camped there for an hour until Mrs & kids caught up with me. Somewhat dry and back on road again, but only to get soaked by more rain. Over and again. By the time I got past Derry and made to Burnfoot, I was starting to hit the wall, thighs threatening to cramp etc. Just a few kms from my destination, I had to stop and top up with a Lucozade (works well, good to know as this will be useful for DCM), and picked up some strength and pedaled up the final hill that cars go up on 1st gear. Happy that I did this, although I wish it didn't rain so much, or knew how to use a portable pump correctly!!

TLDR; Overall about 180 kms in little over 7 hours. Parts of N2 not good, too many close passes. A5 relatively better. Humbled by the most kind, generous and decent folks that comes to your help when you most need it! That's really the highlight of this trip!

Fair play to you for sticking it out. You planning on cycling back :)

Jez positron you're inspiring to say the least. I'd be at a similar place to your 30km - 50km self at the minute. Have my 1st attempt at 100km on Sunday at the Meath Heritage. Luckily thats with the support that goes along with those events :)

Enjoy the holiday , I assume thats why you were heading to Buncrana.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Jez positron you're inspiring to say the least. I'd be at a similar place to your 30km - 50km self at the minute. Have my 1st attempt at 100km on Sunday at the Meath Heritage. Luckily thats with the support that goes along with those events :)

Enjoy the holiday , I assume thats why you were heading to Buncrana.

Best of luck with your first 100k. I did my first full 100k a couple of months ago. I found that the mind is more likely to give up before the body does when training alone. The body will keep going. You'll be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Well done man! Brought back memories of when I did 200k from Tipp to Kerry. Waterproof gear fell apart and I had to stop in Limerick to buy new gear on the way back.

To the uninitiated it probably looks like madness, but it was honestly a great experience in retrospect! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for the comments. Mad Indeed, and I was reminded of that by everyone I spoke to along the way, including the bike mechanic in Monaghan.  I am so mad I take it as a badge of honour really. Yes, up here on holidays of sorts (some work-from-home as well).

Please don't put ideas about riding back into my head... Shoulders & back sore just thinking about it. Boardmans infamous creeky bottom bracket issue is back as well I think after riding in thr rain. I got it replaced last month at Halfords for the exact same reason.

Very best of luck with the 100k today enfilade, have a good one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

53km around howth/malahide etc.; got my pb on the climb up howth hill from the village to below 8 minutes, so happy with that.

some jammy bastard was driving around howth in a mark I e-type.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Didnt get out yday eve so went out this afternoon for a final warmup before the meath heritage tour tmoro. Instead of a bumpy route similar to tmoro i went up stocking lane and a loop of cunard for good measure. Kept trying to maintain a rhythym and not push too hard and pop with tmoro in mind. I normally just take water if im going out for less than 2hrs/50k, but took one of those high 5 energy powder mix today to get my body 'used' to it. Well whatever was in it was like rocketfuel, i felt great climbing, didnt over exert, and wanted to keep going longer than the ~2hrs id given myself. After getting home i see that i also shaved a minute of my best time up cunard, and stocking lane wasnt too shabby either.
    Getting notions now, so looking forward to blowing the beans in the first 20k tmoro

https://www.strava.com/activities/1107348753

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hope cyclist down between Enfield clonard today is ok

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Been sick most of my holiday but got a rental road bike in Cascais this morn having had a mountain bike yesterday.

Went from here to Guincho which is as windy a place I've ever been and started climbing for Sintra. Was stuck for time so had to double back to retry in the morning.

Managed I save my Garmin after 15 km so my sure how to stitch two files together

40 Kms in a nice heat. Lovely roads too and great patient drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Do they still drive like maniacs over there? Remember on more than one occasion being in a cab and for them to cut across 3 lanes for the off ramps :eek:

There are some great areas around Vitosha Mountain for off road.

Traffic seemed OK. Used yellow cabs, maybe they're less crazy. Traffic was v busy but OK.

Nice to see so many people cycling in the parks, young and old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Just Home for Ring of Clare 120km.
    It's my first shot at above 80km in 2 years due to Health.
    Have to say a very well run event.
    But never have I ridden such a lumpy route. The flattest parts was km1 and Km120. There was no respite.
    Reports from the 160 were it was the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    40 Kms in a nice heat. Lovely roads too and great patient drivers
    must be warm in cascais this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Really enjoyable windy spin round some lovely back roads and hills this morning. The Line to Military road after 80k is tough going but a lovely decent is the reward

I'd recommend this route if you're looking for 100k starting in South Dublin

93k with 1600m up @ 24kph - https://www.strava.com/activities/1106876431

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Esroh wrote: »
    Just Home for Ring of Clare 120km.
    It's my first shot at above 80km in 2 years due to Health.
    Have to say a very well run event.
    But never have I ridden such a lumpy route. The flattest parts was km1 and Km120. There was no respite.
    Reports from the 160 were it was the same.

Not lumpy...undulating ;)

Did the 160, was very enjoyable but a decent challenge. First half into the gale was a bit gruelling but worth it for the great push home!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement