Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Did the Ring of Clare 160km also. Not one bit of flat road in Clare. Relentless

Good Day out, got both wet and sunburnt.

And broke a spoke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Ring of Clare 160km also. Big thanks to the organisers, the Gardai and all the volunteers throughout the route. Food stops well positioned and most roads relatively free of traffic. Superb scenery. Challenging cycle but wind at the back for the second 80km a great psychological boost. Will do again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Change of pace from Road Spins today.
    ag01S

Took my 1990s Raleigh Outland that's at least a size too big for me and converted to Singlespeed and V-brakes some time ago and recently Ghetto Tubeless'd out to Maynooth via some of the Single track in the Phoenix Park and the Canal towpath, running 35psi in the back tyre.

I've been gradually building my confidence with short spins in the park but those two sections after the 12th lock provided imho the best test yet of my ghetto set up over rocks and roots and probably the first time I've gone through that section without stopping.

Unfortunately, as I'd left it late to head out I met a lot of pedestrians and my own personal protocol is to approach them at walking speed give a friendly hello and take off again once I was safely past them.

Stopped in that place with the back patio in Maynooth for a coffee and sandwich. Got a free refill of my coffee which is apparently a thing there now.

Blasted back and took on a few of the berms and short steep slopes in the Park on the way home and for once didn't choke on a single one.

Really satisfying day on a bike that's supposed to be my throwaway hack.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1107274407/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1501343750

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Quick spin around Phoenix Park today. Pootling along on the cycle lane, turned a corner ..and saw a car coming directly for me! On the very clearly designated, green cycle lane with lots of pictures of bikes.

Myself and a chap from Orwell had a quiet word with her...possibly the most stupid bit of driving I've seen in my life :confused:

IMG_20170730_110342306_HDR_2.jpg

(Idiot not in picture)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

must be warm in cascais this time of year?

Warm alright but not overly hot on some of the days.

Made it to Sintra today. Took the same route as yesterday but extended it turning off the main road about 5-10 km from Compares and the road which had been steadily rising went uphill a bit more.

The hills around Sintra are nearly permanently covered in mist and the ground was wet. Made the descent a very cautious one as the road was narrow and always a chance of a car coming up.

Got to Sintra too early for anything to be open, So headed home. Would've extended it a good deal but promised the OH I'd be back by 10 and I made it with 2 mins to spare.

I'd highly recommend cycling here, though I'd do the route the other way around next time probably as the roads on the way up were better than those on the way down. The forest path i ended up in would've been an amazing climb too but I was a little slow descending.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108307415

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

colm18 wrote: »
    Myself and a chap from Orwell had a quiet word with her...possibly the most stupid bit of driving I've seen in my life :confused:

She deserves a call to TrafficWatch tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what was her reaction when you pointed out her mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

120km ring of Clare yesterday. Longest spin post-accident. Four of us did it and we averaged 20.1kph. Slow, but not bad for a group of girls. That headwind for the first 60 was tough; and h-anger struck after 61 when I was expecting the food stop to be at 60 (it eventually came around 64). Had a dark patch at 85km, and a major thanks to the lads from the Burren Cycling club for letting me jump on their train for a few km to catch up with my friends.

Not a single flat bit in the route, couldn't even really enjoy the descents because I knew there was another hill coming :)

Great day all around. Long drive back to Dublin after it though!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

what was her reaction when you pointed out her mistake?

Incoherent mumbling and an apology. I still can't fathom how she didn't realise it was a cycle lane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Stopped in that place with the back patio in Maynooth for a coffee and sandwich. Got a free refill of my coffee which is apparently a thing there now....
    'The Coffee Mill' - best coffee shop in the country. We've been getting free refills there for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

colm18 wrote: »
    Incoherent mumbling and an apology. I still can't fathom how she didn't realise it was a cycle lane!!

She knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

'The Coffee Mill' - best coffee shop in the country. We've been getting free refills there for years!

Oh yeah...filter coffee or good stuff? Grangecon was closed yesterday in Blesso, gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Whyner wrote: »
    Oh yeah...filter coffee or good stuff? Grangecon was closed yesterday in Blesso, gutted.

Filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Tour of Meath 100km today. I had registered for the 160 but my buddy said he wasn't up to it and we decided to do the 100 instead. Got a text from him this morning at 7:50 to say he'd arrived early and changed his mind so off he went on the 160. Coward that he is, he knew I'd put the pain on him!!! 😂
    So I rocked up to the 100 where met another man from This Parish and after a leisurely first few km I decided it was time to go. A gang of about 15-20 broke off and we set a good pace till the foodstop. I was happy with my banana in the pocket so I ploughed on with a couple of others. Now I don't mind taking my turn but myself and a chap from Cavan did the whole of the last 50 with absolutely no help from the others. Every time we pulled in to roll over they sat up and dropped back to single file.

Eventually one of them shot past at a Junction and I sucked his wheel for about 2 minutes before he started looking around. We hit the start of a small climb and myself and the Cavan man put in a sneaky dig and that was the end of that. The two of us rolled on home together and while I initially thought there was another guy up the road, after looking at the Flybys it seems he ended up behind us at the foodstop so I'm claiming victory in the 2017 tour ;):D
    97km in 3:11@30.5 average speed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108604729

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Did the Tour of Meath 100km today. I had registered for the 160 but my buddy said he wasn't up to it and we decided to do the 100 instead. Got a text from him this morning at 7:50 to say he'd arrived early and changed his mind so off he went on the 160. Coward that he is, he knew I'd put the pain on him!!! 😂
    So I rocked up to the 100 where met another man from This Parish and after a leisurely first few km I decided it was time to go. A gang of about 15-20 broke off and we set a good pace till the foodstop. I was happy with my banana in the pocket so I ploughed on with a couple of others. Now I don't mind taking my turn but myself and a chap from Cavan did the whole of the last 50 with absolutely no help from the others. Every time we pulled in to roll over they sat up and dropped back to single file.

Eventually one of them shot past at a Junction and I sucked his wheel for about 2 minutes before he started looking around. We hit the start of a small climb and myself and the Cavan man put in a sneaky dig and that was the end of that. The two of us rolled on home together and while I initially thought there was another guy up the road, after looking at the Flybys it seems he ended up behind us at the foodstop so I'm claiming victory in the 2017 tour ;):D
    97km in 3:11@30.5 average speed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108604729

I was one of them. I was riding a green propel with deep carbon rims. I was riding solo on my first sportive and got caught up thinking I was superman at those speeds hanging with the big guys in the breakaway. Thanks for the help and sorry for overly leaching :)

Check out my ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1108693051/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1501427066

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I was one of them. I was riding a green propel with deep carbon rims. I was riding solo on my first sportive and got caught up thinking I was superman at those speeds hanging with the big guys in the breakaway. Thanks for the help and sorry for overly leaching :)

Check out my ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1108693051/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1501427066

Nah, first half was grand and the bunch was big enough for all involved to cover but after the foodstop there was a smaller bunch ( no one on a Propel ) and I was left donkeying out front with one other fella.
    TBH I was intent on pushing on at my own pace so if I got help then great and when I didn't I just put it down to riders not being used to riding in a group.
    You didn't do to shabbily at all for someone at their first run at it. Three years ago it was my first sportive and I was in bits at the end of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Nah, first half was grand and the bunch was big enough for all involved to cover but after the foodstop there was a smaller bunch ( no one on a Propel ) and I was left donkeying out front with one other fella.
    TBH I was intent on pushing on at my own pace so if I got help then great and when I didn't I just put it down to riders not being used to riding in a group.
    You didn't do to shabbily at all for someone at their first run at it. Three years ago it was my first sportive and I was in bits at the end of it :D

Thanks for the compliment and congrats on being first over the line, a great ride and well deserved for your effort ;)

PS flyby says i only drafted for the first 50K after that yous left me for dust. But hey there's always next year :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Went for a 100km cycle today from where I'm originally from in Cork to Killarney.
    Just fitted new Mavic Cosmic Exalith Carbon wheels to my Pinarello.

Typically got a puncture when I had no repair kit, although luckily in Killarney.

Went into O'Sullivans Rent-a-bike off mission street where Colm who works there replaced the tube and all I had to pay was 6 euro for the tube! I was delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Whyner wrote: »
    Oh yeah...filter coffee or good stuff?

Good stuff = espresso or macchiato (Rule 56) but give me freshly made filter coffee any day over a watered down espresso (americano):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Good stuff = espresso or macchiato (Rule 56) but give me freshly made filter coffee any day over a watered down espresso (americano):cool:
    thats the best and busiest coffee place in Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Bloggsie wrote: »
    thats the best and busiest coffee place in Maynooth.

...and voted MSCC Coffee Shop of the Year for 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Col de l'Iseran.

Tis mighty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Well not an actual one:o

But I did just do a epic ride in my mind after spending a few seconds open mouth :eek: flying over Mont Ventoux on a flight to Nice France.

From the forest slopes up along the exposed rock road snaking to the summit tower.

Was so caught up in my imaginary spin i did not take a photo ..but this looks like the view from the reverse angle.

Corsica09023m.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Tour of Meath 100km, cycled out and back 139km in total @27.5

Had some bruised ribs from a fall out walking the dog in Tara last Wednesday so that hindered me a bit, first time doing the new route so got a few shocks when coming out of Slane!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1108804910#kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭positron

Sun was shining here in Buncrana when I finished a frustrating days' work, so decided to go and see the legendary Mamore Gap on a whim, or as the Google Navigation voice over lady kept saying the "Mamo-Ray" Gap. Quickly jumping on the bike like that meant it was half way up the road before I realised I had no water, or pump with me. Ah sure, an (mis)adventure it is then, at least it's not too far for herself to come and pick me up anyway.

Within few kms outside Buncrana, I was already on the slowest gear. As is, as a new overweight middle-aged blob, I am well used to being in the bottom 10% of most strava segments, and that's on a good day. Usually bottom 5% even on the slightest elevation. So riding up Mamore Gap is a laughable idea for me, but I just wanted to see it from a distance, that's all. But getting there itself was proving harder than I had imagined. Anyway, beautiful countryside and view of Lough Swilly kept me reasonably distracted and I got there in glacial pace. First sight of Mamore Gap though was enough to put the fear in me! I was certain I will fall backwards and roll all the way down, like falling down a flight of stairs!!

423957.jpg

Got closer and tried riding up - straight away it was like molasses, moving forward 7-6-5-4 kmph if that... Not made easy by those darn judgmental sheep smirking at me. First half of the climb has been resurfaced and the second half is more rougher. I kept at it - and this might be a good time to mention that I have only been biking for a few months, and I haven't stood up on pedals in 20 odd years (last time would have been on a borrowed Hercules high nelly type single-speed bike somewhere in India). I wasn't going to do that in this vertical climb either. Got half way up the second half and I had to stop when the front started lifting off in response to my attempts to moving forward. Honestly it was the fear of falling backwards that kept me from going at it. :o Walked up a minute or so, and then managed to get back on the bike and pedaled up last couple of hundred meters (walking would have been quicker though). Anyway, made it to the top, that's all matters!

423958.jpg

It's amazing to think top of the gap is taller than the top of the windmills at the other side.

423959.jpg

I found coming down was actually harder than going up. Hard on brakes, kept it around 30 kmph for the first rough patch. When I hit the smoother surface half way down, I let go of the brakes and bike freewheeled to over 70kmph! Crazy! I am well used 140+ but usually on a motorbike covered head to toe in protective gear. Doing 70 on bike felt crazy to be honest, can't imagine how pro riders do it! Ride back to Buncrana was uneventful and quick as it was net downhill.

Over all, less than 2 hours, 35k, 600 meters climb and jaw dropping scenery. I don't think Inishowen gets enough credit for how beautiful it is compared to Kerry etc. Absolutely stunning part of the world!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

drove over the mamore gap about two years ago, the thought of cycling up it was making my eyes water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

positron wrote: »

Over all, less than 2 hours, 35k, 600 meters climb and jaw dropping scenery. I don't think Inishowen gets enough credit for how beautiful it is compared to Kerry etc. Absolutely stunning part of the world!

As I scrolled down I genuinely thought your first picture was somewhere in France.

Great effort, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    Col de l'Iseran.

Tis mighty. :)
    I suffered like a dog on that a few years ago. Maybe I was having a bad but I thought it would never end. The KM markers towards the end seemed like they were 5km apart. By a long way my toughest day in the saddle.
    drove over the mamore gap about two years ago, the thought of cycling up it was making my eyes water.
    It's a brute of a climb - I haven't managed to get up it without doing the walk of shame for a bit. Must try it again soon as it's been a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The wind was behind me, the sun was out. I was thoroughly enjoying my commute home. But then I felt something, under my watch I felt a feint sting; I pushed the face of my g-shock into my wrist in an attempt to itch whatever had caused it. Only to see a monster wasp pop out from under. I yelped like a little girl! I was stopped by a traffic light shortly after, tuck off the watch as fast as I could but he was gone and the damage done. My first ever wasp sting in almost 29 years of life. :(:(:(:(:mad::o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Kiltipper, Kilmashogue and not quite Ticknock

Ran at lunch and was a gonzo going up Ticknock Rd so bailed right down Kellystown

Nearly crashed coming down Kilmashogue, lad coming up swerving side to side with his dead down. Thanks for the scare :eek:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1115900518

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement