Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

We had a cracking second half of the day here in Buncrana yesterday - sun splitting stones, not too windy etc. Ideal conditions for the bike! I wasn't planning on riding far, but I didn't want to waste the opportunity so set out to explore around Buncrana - picked an easy target - the windmills I can see from the house.

Headed out in the general direction keeping windmills right ahead - Out of Buncrana taking Cockhill road, left at St Marys Church, another left at the next petrol station and then it was all uphill until you see the service road for the windmill farm on your right. This service road was just all stones and boulders - the CX part of the bike was put to excellent use yesterday for the very first time.

424364.jpg

At around 300 meters elevation is the Drumlough windmill farm, 15 MW, powering approximately 7400 houses! Windmills gently spinning making that relaxing swishing sound, dozens of red/blue painted sheep grazing peacefully, it was as if you are in that PS3 game "flow". If this is how we are going to reduce our dependency on MiddleEast's Dino juice and Wahhabism, what's not to like?

424365.jpg

424366.jpg

I have to say I loved riding thru the trails that's only fit for mountain bikes / quad bikes or 4x4. It wasn't all about speed, it was about staying up, negotiating the channels cut by streams, tyre marks all the while startling sheep that they take off and crash into each other. All the while taking in the majestic landscape around you all the way to Lough Swilly on one side and some other valley and mountains on the other side. In comparison, cycling on road is ridiculously monotonous and boring, not to mention negotiating traffic and pollution. I would highly recommend everyone get grab a CX or mountain bike and to ride away from the roads, at least once!

424361.jpg

The other side of the wind farm turned out to be my new enemy - le Mamore Gap!

424368.jpg

You can't see it and not climb it, so I went for it again. And for the second time in a week, it had my a*se kicked and had me do the walk of shame.

Once on top of the gap, I met a older gentleman who was walking up from the north-side - his words were "I need the wind behind me to walk up the gap these days". Turns out he used to cycle up here often years ago. He also told me about the little water source (holy well / stream), perfectly drinkable water (peat filtered, like scotch whiskey :) ).

424372.jpg

I decided to go down the north side - which is a loong way down - and headed out towards Clonmany without particular plan in mind. Ended up with a quick side tour to Glenevin waterfall outside Clonmany. Another hidden gem, and absolutely delightfully beautiful km long walk to it over the many small bridges, and at the end perfect postcard perfect waterfall. It's like the most amazing screensaver in real-life.

424373.jpg

After quick refuel at Clonmany, made a poor decision to head back up Mamore Gap. Getting there was again fantastic - could be mistaken for some other part of the world.

424374.jpg

Going up Mamore Gap North to South though - is unmistakably painful. F*CK! I ended up walking most of it. Savage. There were three club riders making their way up inch by inch - fair play to them - serious commitment!! Made my way back to Buncrana eventually, once again, delighted to be able to experience the amazing beauty of this land, and equally humbled by the challenge that is Mamore Gap and by the grit of those guys who conquer it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

positron wrote: »
    Ended up with a quick side tour to Glenevin waterfall outside Clonmany. Another hidden gem, and absolutely delightfully beautiful km long walk to it over the many small bridges, and at the end perfect postcard perfect waterfall. It's like the most amazing screensaver in real-life.
    the only time i've seen a golden eagle in the wild was on the walk back down from the waterfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Great post Positron! Looks like an exceptional spin!

At 8am this morning on my way out along Clontarf and into Howth I met a man wearing a red Gabba top on a BMC SLR who was clearly extremely late for his group ride. He put the boot down (!!) and we did some up-and-overs until we got into Howth where my legs were on fire and he disappeared. Needless to say the hill wasn't that fun the first time around. Then I did 3 more times around, out to Malahide and into Fairview. 90km :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

This morning was one of those mornings where I should have stayed in bed.

Broke a rear spoke on my zondas last weekend and didn't do anything about it all week. So yesterday I swapped on the stock rear wheel which I have been using for the Turbo, and went to pump it, but couldn't find my track pump, had an old foot pump which had to do, but it didn't have a pressure gauge so pumped it as hard as I could but I doubt it was over 100 psi. Took a small spin around the yard tonne sure all was rolling freely

Up this morning got dressed looking forward to the Spin after the fantastic weather yesterday. But it was miserable out, so had to go put more layers on.

I couldn't find matching mitts so was wearing different coloured ones, couldn't find my Garmin, I realised it was on the dashboard of my work van which I didn't bring home for the weekend(the track pump is in there too). And couldn't find my overshoes

Off i set in the rain down to the club meeting spot, only 4 of us turned up. We decided to do a handier route than the arranged one over the wind and rain.

10km in the rear tyre felt soft, could feel the rims touch the road a few times. Stopped to check, there was still air in the tube, so we though it maybe I didn't close the valve properly or it was a slow puncture, we topped it up with a hand pump and set off again. 10km further down the road, yup it was a puncture. A quick tube change, where I got oil on my new club rain jacket, we were off. The rest of the Spin was uneventful and got home, went for a quick shower and washed half the road off me, went to put the bike away and found the front wheel flat,

A miserable 65km on the bike today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@positron
    Great post.

Reading it reminded me of Van Morrison's "Coney Island"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Boscoirl wrote: »
    A miserable 65km on the bike today.
    Still 65k more than all the lazy feckers who stayed in bed - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

After 6 weeks off the bike due to work, sickness, broken bike and holidays, I got out for a couple of hours today. I did 45 Km on Friday which kicked my @ss and today wasn't too much better.
    55Km around NCD including Naul and Snowtown and a few bits I've not done before. I really need to go out in the mornings as felt cramp and stitch as I'd eaten lunch not too long before the spin

https://www.strava.com/activities/1120568469

didn't see another cyclist out at all today...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Brilliant photo-essay Positron.

Haven't been up that direction in over 30 years and never on the bike. Definitely on the bucket list after seeing your posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..... Definitely on the bucket list after seeing your posts.
    Something to look forward to! While the men of the Ras struggle on the Gap of Mamore, and some even manage a wheelie, you'll probably whip out the camera on the steepest part while removing your rain cape at the same time!

(I must get back there soon - I'm now determined to get over it without putting a foot down.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

D8 to glencree, crone, the wall, enniskerry, kilmolin, glencullen and back. Had intentions of going up kippure but with the road in bad shape and not having the time to return via sally gap/kilbride, i ducked down the road to crone woods instead. That road is dangerous as hell descending, narrow, overgrown, met a few cars coming the other way on blind benda and it was heart in mouth time each time, ducking in the tiny space to the left of them and hoping for the best. I wasnt even going that fast, just seemed to meet them all at the worst possible places.
    Tackled the wall for the first time, when i turned the corner and saw it i had to laugh, it is literally a wall, dont know what i was expecting but for some reason i didnt expect it to be so steep. The only good point was the worst part was straight away, so the legs were relatively fresh.
    Also did the climb out of enniskerry to kilmolin for the first time, and threw in the devils elbow as well, a day for short sharp climbs. After getting home i realised ive a new pr for sticking lane as well - result! Cheers tobthe lad i got a tow off from before timbertrove til after the first bend, tried talking to him but he was silent/determined, offered to lead for a while and he couldnt hold the wheel...sorry!

54k, 1038m vertical, 22.8kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/1122083412

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Took the Paddy Wagon out for handy spin with the missus to that new café 'Happy Out' on Bull Island. Nice coffee and toasties! Would be nice on the way home after attacking Howth Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Miklos wrote: »
    Took the Paddy Wagon out for handy spin with the missus to that new cafHappy Out' on Bull Island. Nice coffee and toasties! Would be nice on the way home after attacking Howth Head.

Saw that on the likes of LovinDublin or similar, seems like it'll attract a huge chunk of business from cyclists, perfect location.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Fair play to you for sticking it out. You planning on cycling back :)

Guess what I did yesterday? :D

Left Buncrana at around 0830 hours, took the same route (Derry, Strabane, Sion Mills, Omagh, nice big lunch at Kellys, Monahan etc and N2. Couple of rains early on, but weather improved by mid day. Got tired of the monotony of N2, and tried Google navigation that looked good in paper/phone, but the darn thing took me over sh1ttiest country lanes that are only fit for 4x4s, up and down many hills and sharp turns, and eventually lead me straight to a dead-end. There was an gap in the hedge with nothing but overgrown field on the other side and that's road according to Google. I was in a very dark place emotionally at this time, even thought of expletives I would send to Sunder Pichai (in Tamil) when I get home. I was struggling hard, out of water, and this detour added 10k to total distance! Finally I got back to N2 and turns out I was still 19k away from Ardee and that would be the first opportunity to get some water!! Barely made it to Ardee, crawled into Spar and bought a nice Yazoo drink, banana and water, and went into the nearby church and made their centuries old scripture stone thingee my make shift table and camped there for 20 mins. The hills between Ardee and Collon is something else - especially with the state that I was in. Eventually made it to Drogheda without any punctures like the last time - except the chain came off a couple of times, minor annoyance. By the end, I was so eager to get off the bike I even scored a PR in one of the last segments near home! :D

Unfortunately for me, phone keeps killing Strava app, so it didn't capture the first 25 kms from Buncrana to Derry. Anyway, it's somewhere around 10 hours of moving time, 12 hours door to door, approximately 235 kms covered, 1556m climbed.

Relive.cc Video: https://video.relive.cc/9913922211_strava_1502141677485.mp4

Although last couple of weeks of biking has been really amazing, this is the end of the cycling adventures for me for a while. Cycling was supposed to be the cross training for Dublin City Marathon in October (another first), and over last couple of weeks it has completely taken over and I haven't been out running. Bike is back in the shed now, except for an odd Drogheda-Dundrum commute etc. Until next time...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Bought my first road bike on Saturday and had my first spin yesterday. Have let myself get pretty unfit the past few years. Managed 30k yesterday with a 3k climb home at the end. Found it extremely tough and feeling it today. Feel it's a sport I will enjoy and looking forward to getting out again and hope it gets a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

As if La Marmotte was enough of a challenge, I took on La Purito in Andorra over the weekend. My first time riding in the Pyrenees. Completely different to anything I've ridden in the Alps.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1120540944

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Feel it's a sport I will enjoy and looking forward to getting out again and hope it gets a bit easier.

It will, I barely notice the "cuntin hill" home that I used to dread in February. Stick with it ;-)

As if La Marmotte was enough of a challenge, I took on La Purito in Andorra over the weekend. My first time riding in the Pyrenees. Completely different to anything I've ridden in the Alps.

Nearly 6k climbing!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Takca wrote: »
    It will, I barely notice the "cuntin hill" home that I used to dread in February. Stick with it ;-)

That must be a very common name for hills.
    There's one named that near me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

positron wrote: »
    mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Fair play to you for sticking it out. You planning on cycling back :)

Guess what I did yesterday? :D

Left Buncrana at around 0830 hours, took the same route (Derry, Strabane, Sion Mills, Omagh, nice big lunch at Kellys, Monahan etc and N2. Couple of rains early on, but weather improved by mid day. Got tired of the monotony of N2, and tried Google navigation that looked good in paper/phone, but the darn thing took me over sh1ttiest country lanes that are only fit for 4x4s, up and down many hills and sharp turns, and eventually lead me straight to a dead-end. There was an gap in the hedge with nothing but overgrown field on the other side and that's road according to Google. I was in a very dark place emotionally at this time, even thought of expletives I would send to Sunder Pichai (in Tamil) when I get home. I was struggling hard, out of water, and this detour added 10k to total distance! Finally I got back to N2 and turns out I was still 19k away from Ardee and that would be the first opportunity to get some water!! Barely made it to Ardee, crawled into Spar and bought a nice Yazoo drink, banana and water, and went into the nearby church and made their centuries old scripture stone thingee my make shift table and camped there for 20 mins. The hills between Ardee and Collon is something else - especially with the state that I was in. Eventually made it to Drogheda without any punctures like the last time - except the chain came off a couple of times, minor annoyance. By the end, I was so eager to get off the bike I even scored a PR in one of the last segments near home! :D

Unfortunately for me, phone keeps killing Strava app, so it didn't capture the first 25 kms from Buncrana to Derry. Anyway, it's somewhere around 10 hours of moving time, 12 hours door to door, approximately 235 kms covered, 1556m climbed.

Relive.cc Video: https://video.relive.cc/9913922211_strava_1502141677485.mp4

Although last couple of weeks of biking has been really amazing, this is the end of the cycling adventures for me for a while. Cycling was supposed to be the cross training for Dublin City Marathon in October (another first), and over last couple of weeks it has completely taken over and I haven't been out running. Bike is back in the shed now, except for an odd Drogheda-Dundrum commute etc. Until next time...!
    Amazing bit of stamina to complete a trip like that!!Fair play to you!

lovely evening out there. 51km from glasnevin, out past knocksedan, ratoath, kilbride and home. averaged over 29km/h, highest i've yet managed; quite a flat route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Bought my first road bike on Saturday and had my first spin yesterday. Have let myself get pretty unfit the past few years. Managed 30k yesterday with a 3k climb home at the end. Found it extremely tough and feeling it today. Feel it's a sport I will enjoy and looking forward to getting out again and hope it gets a bit easier.

Absolutely beautiful evening out there. Took her out again this evening for a spin. First time solo. Did the same route and got my 30k in. Dare to say that climb home was a little easier tonight although I was passed out by 4 others who didn't look like they were breaking a sweat haha. Amazed how friendly other cyclists are; everyone had a wave or a hello. Feel great now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Up and down ballinascorney to the top, then round the reservoir, up Cunard to the military road and back into dublin city. In my search for walls to climb, i took a right on aligour road up a little lane (ballymorefinn??) - what a little thunderbastard. According to strava its only 400m averaging at 14.3%, i felt every second of the 3mins it took me to get up it though

https://www.strava.com/activities/1125533402

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd gotten the feeling lately that I was too relaxed on the bike. Doing nice distances regularly but not wrecked enough after it. So this evening I went out on a 20km route with the intention of emptying my legs... well it worked alright, 20kms around Dublin and my legs/lungs feel like they're on fire... in a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭secman

A short spin out to the Lamb, left for Manor kilbride and left on to Lisheen, and back n81 , down embankment and home. 32.5 km avg 27.4 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That's savage, I've my eye on it since the crazy stage in la Vuelta two years ago. Huge chapeau to you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Made my first attempt at racing last night in the last round of the club league, previously I'd only done a time trial. I've been going well on the club spins at the weekend so the guys setting the handicap put me in the semi scratch group. There's no way I'm semi scratch. The handicappers were instantly removed from my Christmas card list!!!
    Went out the back on the first lap and nearly blew my ring altogether trying to get back on. In my defense I had just done a good turn and as the group rolled past I waited for the last rider to pass me only to see them a hundred yards back and then there was a gap which I just couldn't close.
    Then the scratch group caught me and urged me to jump in with them but that only lasted a minute as I was already shot. I gave myself a minute to recover and then just held a steady pace for a solo lap to the end. Baptism of fire!!
    Despite the pain I enjoyed it and I was only ever treating it as a workout and gauge to see where I'm at. I'd like to think if I'd been in the next group I'd have held on better. And a couple of riders finished behind me so no Lantern Rouge either.

Rolled on home for 29km@35.4kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1127291585

nice morning for it out there, 51km around NCD. i see snowtown was resurfaced with the cheapo resurfacing option, but a few weeks ago i guess. not too bad now, but there is still just a little bit of loose gravel in places.

also, top notch work to the guy in the articulated lorry who overtook me coming on the approach to the narrow bridge over the broadmeadow, on the R130.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Club spin this morning. Done of the lads are doing a mizen2malin next week, so it was to be a handy one, did 75km @ ~27kmph

Legs like jelly for the first 30km after a 5km obstacle course thing I did yesterday. Stepped it up for the next 30km and drove the group on and the racing group passed us with about 15km to home so I jumped onto them managed to hang on for about 10k where they were averaging about 40kmph. Much more enjoyable than last week :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement