Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

55km Aughty challenge. First time on the bike for almost two months. Very enjoyable trip. Kudos to Portumna CC for a very enjoyable morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Done the LL 90K today but just as I was nearing the end and just within the 50K zone was a boy 6 or 7 and his sister on my left. I was on my own at that stage and he moved to the edge of the footpath as I approached and held out his arm to high five me! I slowed down so as to accept and ensure I didn't miss and make sure it was a gentle five. I have to say it was the best feeling I've ever had out cycling, I'll be back next year even if just to relive the memory.

Bet you made that wee lads day, chapeau!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Truth is he made mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

First sportive for me yesterday at the Leinster Loop and a great day out. Perfect weather, risked not bringing any jacket

Tonnes of grub before, during and after. Registering was a breeze. The jersey fit and looks decent

Loved the jostling for the first 30-40k with mini groups creating. Got totally caught up in it as I knew I would so the first 80k until the stop was quick for me

Last 50 a different story, only stopped for 10 mins and went out with a mate in a group out of my league and got dropped in less than a minute. Struggled to get in with any other groups so went solo for large parts. I've a terrible habit of sitting up and riding no hands to relive pressure on my back. Booking in for a fitting this week. Fair play to everyone involved, really well run and you should be very proud.

Topped it off by gorging on a Massaman with a few Helvicks and watched Icarus

130k @ 30.5 with 1126 Up

https://www.strava.com/activities/1131471444

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Beautiful morning out there. 73km around NCD. Quite a few other cyclists out too, almost like a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

55km around NCD. Was fairly windy and just got home before a large downpour.
    Everything aches now. Need to get out more...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

60km down to Eniskerry via Glencullen and back via Bray. That headwind on the coast road back was most unpleasant indeed. Need to do more non commute cycles as that was pretty sluggish.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1141205697

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Probably more of a rant but the other day I was cycling to work and some pedestrian walked straight into the cycle path without looking and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting her. She had her back to the direction I was coming from and didn't even notice. I didn't have time to ding the bell, just had to slam on the brakes and skid. Grrrrr.

Rant over.

As for today, I did 2-3 miles on my first road bike (been using a hybrid so far). It went well enough, but need to get used to it and the gears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

glad i got out this morning, not so pleasant out there now. windier than i expected though, was fighting a headwind for over half the cycle.
    and i could not get 'wichita lineman' out of my head for the entire spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

40odd kms yesterday at a strong pace and into headwinds. Was bunched given I'd done a Muay Thai class yesterday morning.

Today I just did 25kms at a potter and watched the iron men and women. Got home just as the rain started, the only thing close to exertion I had today was chapelizod hill. Funny that I used to tear up that hill on a bmx and a big heavy Black Diamond Zoom back when I was a teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Good spin with a buddy today. He's coming to Spain with me in a few weeks so wanted to get some hills done. We did that.
    Ticknock- Kilmashogue- Cruagh- Kippure- Laragh- Coffee and cake, then back up Glenmacnass and Sally Gap and back to the start.
    116km with 2119m climbing at a very leisurely 22kmh
    It was a pleasant enough day to start but by the time we got up Kippure it was 7degrees and a bit of mist coming in. The descent to Laragh was cold but the coffee and cake was lovely. The climb back up the Gap wasn't too bad as we had a mild tailwind but we weren't in any hurry anyway, just enjoying being out. Got to within a few hundred yards of the start and the rain started. Could not really have timed it any better. Legs are feeling it a bit but the rest of the body is feeling pretty good.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1142883112

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I did the Leitrim Glens 100KM today, I arrived early to see the 200KM start, about 40 of them left at 9AM for a long day in the saddle.

Then at 10AM we took off, I started with a strong group (to strong for me) but got dropped after about 20KM once the going got tough. Then I settled into a pace I was happy with. Chatting with some other soloists along the way. Had a great day, rain even stayed off for all but the last 10KM. I'm hoping I'll be able for the climbing in the 200KM next year....

http://leitrimglens.com/
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1142991541

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Takca wrote: »
    I did the Leitrim Glens 100KM today, I arrived early to see the 200KM start, about 40 of them left at 9AM for a long day in the saddle.

Then at 10AM we took off, I started with a strong group (to strong for me) but got dropped after about 20KM once the going got tough. Then I settled into a pace I was happy with. Chatting with some other soloists along the way. Had a great day, rain even stayed off for all but the last 10KM. I'm hoping I'll be able for the climbing in the 200KM next year....

http://leitrimglens.com/
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1142991541

Come visit on http://audaxireland.org and get in training...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Come visit on http://audaxireland.org and get in training...

Thanks, I'm hoping to do my first 200k audax next year also, I was thinking about doing Ballina next week but life got in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just the usual midweek out to blessington on main road , across the bridge and left for Manor kilbride and back by lisheen to main road and home. Lovely mild evening last night. 45km avg 28.6 kph. One of my last spins in my 50's, will probably get out on Wednesday for my last one. Friday being the big day , hoping to take day off and get out for first spin of my 60's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

secman wrote: »
    Just the usual midweek out to blessington on main road , across the bridge and left for Manor kilbride and back by lisheen to main road and home. Lovely mild evening last night. 45km avg 28.6 kph. One of my last spins in my 50's, will probably get out on Wednesday for my last one. Friday being the big day , hoping to take day off and get out for first spin of my 60's.

Super stuff, loved reading that...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Went out last night for a hill raid, it was a beautiful spin seeing the sun set up at the Sally Gap. It was incredibly warm the whole evening, didn't even put arm warmers on on the way back home. The amount of flies up there was unreal though, millions of the buggers bouncing off my sunglasses decending to Luggala!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Friday being the big day , hoping to take day off and get out for first spin of my 60's.

Happy birthday. You are about to enter the very best decade for cycling. (Haven't tried the next one yet!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

positron wrote: »
    We had a cracking second half of the day here in Buncrana yesterday - sun splitting stones, not too windy etc. Ideal conditions for the bike!
    i suspect your cycling will be curtailed in the next few weeks...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0823/899334-weather-flooding/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭positron

That looks really bad! Imagine road washing away from under you as your drive over it - scary stuff!!

PS: Luckily for me, I am (relatively) dry back here in Drogheda. I was only up there on holidays.

81km today, lovely out there in the spiritual home, not very many others about.

For the last spin of my fifties I did an urban spin with Annette and her Ma :) . Up Belgard road, down Airton rd, Greenhills to Walkinstown roundabout, up st peters, up Wellington rd, and over to Firehouse and up to old bawn and on to oldcourt...Hunters something, stocking lane and back to old bawn, tallaght bypass, belgard rosd and home. Reintroducing myself to the hood... God has it changed over the last 20 years . Certainly a different spin, can't say I like urban as some folk do.. WA. Looking forward to spin on Friday... the first of many on 60's all going well.
    25 km on the hour....avg ....must be 25 kph .

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

I experienced a shocking moment on the way up Howth Hill today.

I will be 60 in December and as a guy on a Dublin Bike passed me I realised I will never see 25 again!!!!

:D:D:D

I will be 60 in December and as a guy on a Dublin Bike passed me I realised I will never see 25 again!!!!

So can I be the first to wish you a very happy 60th???? Or is it too early????

I experienced a shocking moment on the way up Howth Hill today.

:D:D:D
    Sure you're only a nipper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Sure you're only a nipper :)

I would love to say that 60 is the new 30 but my knees tell me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Windy, and traffic is building! Bring on next week when the schools are back, that's when the games really begin. Feeling fit these days, but wishing I had gotten out more on leisure spins this summer, there's still time I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......Managed to get my first KOM, on an amusingly inconsequential little lane.
    It's a bit obscure alright. According to Strava I've done that lane dozens of times but I've no recollection of it as it has always been on a club ride.

I'll make a point of trying harder next time! :D....
    I sorted out that little matter this morning! :D

(It didn't come up as a KOM (just a 'PR') on my Strava activity even though I'm in first place. :confused:)

• Advertisement

(It didn't come up as a KOM (just a 'PR') on my Strava activity even though I'm in first place. :confused:)

This happened me on my 1 and only KOM, on the activity I clicked "Refresh Activity Achievements" and it came up as I expected. I think maybe it was because it was private and then I changed it to public(maybe?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement