Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've enough wait to carry thanks. And besides it was 5:30 am. Lot of wierdos out there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Where was it? Location would give an indication of the 'type' of weirdo...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

retalivity wrote: »
    Where was it? Location would give an indication of the 'type' of weirdo...

Ranelagh

Took a detour from my usual spin this evening to have a crack at Cunard, following on from tge reservoir dog thread.

Pretty tough but not knowing the climb i managed the effort and got to the top in decent shape. Its pretty relentless but that false flat after the junction gives a nice breather.

Still Reckon kilmashogue is worse.

https://www.strava.com/activities/670393531

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I decided to head for viewpoint, just in the foothills I realised I put my big ring back on the bike the wrong way round and couldn't shift to the lower ring with out making a balls of my bike. Ended up turning around before I reached the Hellfire Club. Probably a blessing in disguise given I'm still recovering from last weeks back injury

Anyway 25kms done and 230m of climbing, that's the pack of Toffypops worked off anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

On holidays in Achill with the family the last few day, finally got out for a spin. The scenery over here is breathtaking. Went over from Dugort to Keem then up to Lough Acorrymore and then up Minnaun and finally back to Dugort.
    The wind was bloody awful at times, coming in a kind of North West direction. Not particularly cold but very gusty. I was all over the road on the Minnaun climb. It's a very tough climb as it is without being battered by a galeforce headwind. Then coming back down on ramps of 15-20% I could have done without a tailwind. Mind you, the views and sense of achievement at the top were well worth it.
    57km, 1150m climbing and a KOM-not too many other cyclists on the segment tbh but I'm still the King ;) Happy out :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/670049532

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I realised I put my big ring back on the bike the wrong way round
    so if you pedal forwards, the bike went backwards?

so if you pedal forwards, the bike went backwards?

While on the inclines I might as well have been pedalling backwards. What I had done meant the two rings were far too close together meaning the chain just came off when I tried to shift

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Last of the Tipp League series for me last night, short race of 23km but a little lumpy whuch doesn't really play to my strengths.

Looking back our group could have gotten to the line before getting caught by the scratch group, just wasnt enough guys helping out at the front to keep the pace high.

As usual i did way too much early on and suffered late on when we got caught by a very talented scratch group with 3km left.

23km at 38. 9km/h average speed with 200m elevation but it was an uphill finish over the last 5km or so.

It was my first series of club races and i loved the varied races and TT over the 8 weeks, credit to all involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I was all over the road on the Minnaun climb.
    to be fair, that does look brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

When fat holes and big holes collide ...

IMG_20160809_091959_zps0mhpbt2p.jpg

that is a messy, windy, sweaty evening for a cycle.
    and all the way out to ashbourne and half the way back stinks of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just about managed spin out to blessington tonight, nights are really closing in. Just over 40km Avg 26 kph never seemed to get wind in my face on the way out ...on my back on the way back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭devonp

Cloud commuting

extended commute, in full cloud at the top of Butter mountain (?) about 19.7Km in. and got shat on x2!! on Ballyfollen rd. from the green canopy!!
    damp, dark(ish) and gloomy
    met a Resevoir Cog cyclist( i think from the jersey) at the top of Butter mountain, quick few words
    still good to be out in the evening..

https://www.strava.com/activities/672725316/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

265k with 5,286m of climbing wasn't enough to complete the Boards.ie Evil Ride 2016. A tough day in the saddle.

https://www.strava.com/activities/672812717

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

265k with 5,286m of climbing wasn't enough to complete the Boards.ie Evil Ride 2016. A tough day in the saddle.

Where do you find the time for all these epic cycles you do?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

56k after work yesterday, from Clondalkin, up thru Old Bawn, past Firhouse, up Gunny Hill and onto Stocking Lane, and all the way to Sally Gap, the last 5k after Lough Bray was murder, wind was insane. So to get there in 1hr10m on the button was really pleasing.
    Home via the Gap->Manor Kilbride direction and out onto the N81 and down thru Citywest and past Corcaigh Park.
    Avg was 26.55kmph which was I was really pleased with. Considering the wind for that last 5k to the Gap and the wind coming off it really forcing me to slow down and take care, I could have easily gone over 27kmph which for that route and me, would have been damn good. 700 odd metres of climbing.

terrydel wrote: »
    56k after work yesterday, from Clondalkin, up thru Old Bawn, past Firhouse, up Gunny Hill and onto Stocking Lane, and all the way to Sally Gap, the last 5k after Lough Bray was murder, wind was insane. So to get there in 1hr10m on the button was really pleasing.
    Home via the Gap->Manor Kilbride direction and out onto the N81 and down thru Citywest and past Corcaigh Park.
    Avg was 26.55kmph which was I was really pleased with. Considering the wind for that last 5k to the Gap and the wind coming off it really forcing me to slow down and take care, I could have easily gone over 27kmph which for that route and me, would have been damn good. 700 odd metres of climbing.

Quite close to my planned route for tomorrow morning. I'm hoping the wind will have eased a bit, it's been murder the last few days. Looking out the office window here in Sandyford and the trees are being battered

yesterday the wind was coming from every direction except from behind.

14hours in the saddle, not surprised it was tough.

Are you ok with being followed on Strava?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

yesterday the wind was coming from every direction except from behind.

It fells like that every day for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

"Hold on to your Gel Wrappers :mad:"

Did a few loops of the park today 50KM ...warm but windy !

https://www.strava.com/activities/673321765

I did however notice lots of High5 and SIS Gel Wrappers discarded all along the bendy bits of the Khybher loop , the edge of the grass had been cut so wrappers clearly visible.

I know it's not just Cycling Folk that use them ...I am sure there will be lots more after this weekends Ironman.:rolleyes:

Put the sticky empty ones in your saddle bag please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Club league race last night over 35km or so, got away for about 1.5 laps with another couple of lads which i loved as i like driving it on. Got caught on the last lap amd finished maybe 15th or so just off the sprint. Pleased overall.
    35km at 37.8km/avg

Rose early and had a free morning so off i went on the bike to do some hills on prep for the Sean Kelly 160km next week.

100km odd solo with 1200m elevation at 28km avg, wind was all over the place, shook now and rest needed!!!!!

DominoDub wrote: »
    "Hold on to your Gel Wrappers :mad:"

Did a few loops of the park today 50KM ...warm but windy !

https://www.strava.com/activities/673321765

I did however notice lots of High5 and SIS Gel Wrappers discarded all along the bendy bits of the Khybher loop , the edge of the grass had been cut so wrappers clearly visible.

I know it's not just Cycling Folk that use them ...I am sure there will be lots more after this weekends Ironman.:rolleyes:

Put the sticky empty ones in your saddle bag please.

I'd say alot where from the race at the weekend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short and lumpy one this morning, taking in Balinascorny, Kilbride, Kippure Holiday Village backroads back to Ballinascorny, Cunard, Glassamucky and home. 58k, 1.1k climbing in 3 hours. Looking at the Garmin going up Cunard I was managing a stonking 6.9kph but got to the Miltary road handy enough. Hopefully get out for a longer one tomorrow, WA's comments about Clara bridge have me thinking I haven't been out that way in awhile.

135km into a head wind. That was tough going!

Wanted to earn my 'cheat meal' yesterday (Macaris Snack box with breast) so decided a spin over to Howth, nip around the head and back would do it.
    Went at what I thought was my normal pace, turns out I was seriously faster even taking a Kom down by Heuston Station, my first! Nice 48k done with 300metres up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A few loops of the park to kill the hangover. 43km @25kph

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

DominoDub wrote: »

Unlikely as they have a strict no littering policy or instant DQ. specific drop zones are set out on the course.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    A few loops of the park to kill the hangover. 43km @25kph

Hahaha same, although i only managed 28k. Not many cyclists about it round 1 or so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement