Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I sorted out that little matter this morning! :D

(It didn't come up as a KOM (just a 'PR') on my Strava activity even though I'm in first place. :confused:)
    heh! looks like both yourself and Mercian Pro responded to my gauntlet, i'm now no. 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

heh! looks like both yourself and Mercian Pro responded to my gauntlet, i'm now no. 3.
    You'll have to get out there and give it another go.

(I think the other lads on the club ride were a bit puzzled when we took off at speed in the middle of nowhere).

Takca wrote: »
    This happened me on my 1 and only KOM, on the activity I clicked "Refresh Activity Achievements" and it came up as I expected...
    Thanks - that worked! I never realised that facility was there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You'll have to get out there and give it another go.
    will wait till there's a good strong westerly!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

120kms across Sally and Wicklow Gaps, very windy but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Quick 30km test spin with my new fizik saddle and FSA carbon K wing bars, picked them up half price in the bike-discount sales... to say I'm delighted with the bars is understatement... It feels like a new bike, so smooth, so much of the road buzz is cut out and the ergonomics are unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First ride to work in the new job. Headwind was brutal and I felt wrecked just getting to work. Hopefully it stays the same direction or eases off for the ride home later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Quick hour today with some hard efforts in the middle, 220w average for the hour so happy with that considering asthma is flaring up at the moment

https://www.strava.com/activities/1149399207

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cycled into clontarf from sutton on the cycle path this e evening. Head wind had me killed and feel like I've done an 80km spin even though was only 26km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I experienced a shocking moment on the way up Howth Hill today.

I will be 60 in December and as a guy on a Dublin Bike passed me I realised I will never see 25 again!!!!

:D:D:D

Normally I'd say never use age as an excuse for poor performance but, in this case, I don't think you have any other choice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

neris wrote: »
    Cycled into clontarf from sutton on the cycle path this e evening. Head wind had me killed and feel like I've done an 80km spin even though was only 26km.

I did the reverse yesterday evening. The wind was so strong it felt like I was being sucked along the bike path towards Portmarnock! Was tipping along at 40+km/h for most of my journey. But I did have the wind in my face yesterday morning, so I feel your pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭secman

Nice spin out to blessington, valleymount and around the lake drive to Lacken, on the back road to manor kilbride and home on n81 .
    70 km avg 27.6 kph. Nice way to spend the first hours of my 60 th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

secman wrote: »
    Nice spin out to blessington, valleymount and around the lake drive to Lacken, on the back road to manor kilbride and home on n81 .
    70 km avg 27.6 kph. Nice way to spend the first hours of my 60 th.

happy birthday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tested myself today to try and see how I'd be for 300odd kms in two days in less than two weeks time, I wanted to see how far I could push without food or a break. Managed 70kms at a good pace and comfortably. Reckon I'd have got the 100 without needing to stop but 50kms will be fine for what I have planned but good to know how my engine is.

Plan for training over the next few days is to do between 30 and 50kms a day for the next 8 days and then rest until the Thursday the 7th which is day 1

I will also be training Muay Thai, BJJ and do 3 'leg days' in the gym. Be grand :o

On this morning's commute, I passed 100,000 kms on Strava since joining in 2012. :cool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1154080824

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cycle from Santry to Aughrim yesterday taking a bit of a detour to get it up to 100 km and adding a bit of climbing.

Santry - Lake Drive - Vallymount - Hollywood - Donard - Ballinabarny Gap - Aughrim.

1250 meteres in 105 km. Had so many of the roads to myself most of the day. I met an alpaca, didn't stop for food or coffee, stopping no more than a few mins at to check things. Wicklow is a wonderful part of the world, and though I curse it when going up some of the hills, the views are what make it worthwhile.

Got the train back as I was goosed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1154474605

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I did hard way round in Kerry yesterday.

I hadn't done much training and decided Friday to drive in and register .

I'd done this a good few times and had no problems on hills before .... Didn't really get away with it .. I'd say the hills are my strong point ussually but not yesterday , I suffered badly as I pushed my bike up the hills !!!! Done a lot of running lately and thought I'd get away with it.

Still I enjoyed day and finished strong once I got hills out of way . bit stiff today tho . that'll teach me!!!!

did the standard 50km route i've been finding myself doing around NCD today. bloody hell, it was sweaty out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

did the standard 50km route i've been finding myself doing around NCD today. bloody hell, it was sweaty out there.

I can imagine. I'm sitting in Croker at the moment, and I'm sweaty. And it hasn't even started!!!!

Forgot my Garmin this morning. I had become a bit of a slave to the speedo and lately I've been ignoring it. Was nice to just wander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Down home in Sligo this weekend. Headed off out the mountains from my homeplace.
    Lough Talt - Lough Easkey - Dromore West-
    Ladies Brea - Cloonacool - Lough Talt.
    Single lane bohreens with grass up the middle and plenty of loose chippings and pot holes but it didn't matter about the surfaces. I didn't see a car or sign of life for about 20 km on the outward leg and after ten or fifteen km on the main road I turned back into the hills and didn't see a sinner again until I was nearly home. There was a low cloud hanging just above me for a lot of the spin and that seemed to keep things even quieter than usual. Getting closer to home the sun started to break through to leave a lovely morning.
    I put in a few spurts and a few sustained efforts and was delighted to see a KOM and a fair few PRs. The KOM was on a small rough road so not to many people would have cycled it but I knocked a good bit off my time up the Ladies Brea so I'm very happy with that.
    72km with 692m climbing @29.2kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1154246572

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to ballycanew , Gorey, out old n11 to inch and on to Arklow, took exactly an hour and had 31 km on the clock.Headed back towards inch and took the left turn for Castletown, around Tara hill to Ballymoney , Courtown and down coast road to Ballygarrett, Killenagh and home. Just over 66 km and an avg of 28.6 kph.
    On a separate note, just outside Courtown I had eased up trying to wipe sweat from my stinging eyes when a guy passed me and I m sure he said hello or something to me. I picked up and went along side him , said hello and about to ask where he was heading and and he just looked at me, said nothing and upped the pace. We hit a drag and I came along side him again, said hello and about to converse and he takes off again, I came along side him again and was taking right turn at Peigs bar, and just said " nice talking to you " Wasn't trying to piss him off, we just happened to be of similar pace and I was trying to be friendly.... Just after the right turn a mother, father and kid were pottering along coming towards me and we exchanged pleasantries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭jamesd

Did some cycling over in Belgium Saturday and Sunday.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1153005672 Tour de Flanders
    and a little spin then on the Sunday
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1154475140

Won this trip from Skoda Celtic Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Chilly this morning and the traffics getting heavier. Really wasnt in the mood for a cycle, feeling tired and sore last few days but dragged myself out for a stupidly short 13km spin. Feel better now coz in past i would have just said im not feeling up to it and stayed home and then done same next day and day after that and suddenly its a month or 3 later and the bikes not been used

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Definite increase in traffic this morning. At least one of the secondary schools near me was open today, and I expect the national schools will be open later in the week. I'll have my cameras charged and recording. There was a definite chill in the air too, nothing too bad, I just can't believe summer is nearly over :eek:

Stopped beside a lovely Kawasaki on the canal today, tried to have a laugh with the rider and I said 'I thought real Kawasakis were green', impressed he was not :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Car/bike collision right in front of me at the KCR today :(
    Car was breaking the lights :mad:
    Luckily both saw each other in time to slow down, but still hit each other. Cyclist went over the bonnet but got up, him and bike seemed ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Had hired a Carbon Bianchi Intrepida for the duration of our trip to Valenica, but due to the pressure to be finished before Siesta time had a frustratingly limited ride experience. Got in 4 spins on the first week and two this week (hopefully a last hurrah tomorrow morning) thanks to a combination of insomnia/broken aircon and thunderstorms.

Yesterday I set out to do a bg one, 160km with 2km+ change climbing.

To minimise upset to Mrs Rollingscone I'd learned to take the bike in off the balcony the night before and keep it beside the bed. Kit was packed and ready to go, managed to get about 4 hours of more or less functional sleep and aside from the awkardness of another early rising guest walking in on my getting into my UV leg covers in the communal kitchen got out pretty efficiently and was on the road by 07:20. Getting out of the city centre went fairly efficiently despite having to bypass the normal route through the Turia Riverbed park due to the soaked clay.

It was still lightly raining and not yet bright at this stage, then I made the fatal error of trying to use Google maps to navigate from one of the small satellte towns onto my route and ended up riding a CF roadbike through farm roads and getting wet clay on my cleats.

Eventually with consultation to a proper map and the Garmin Route I was able to cross some concrete farm roads back onto course, given a speed boost when about 8 farm dogs swarmed out onto the road and gave chase.

Things went fairly smoothly from then on although I was now mud spattered and an hour behild program. I took a stop after the first short hill and bough a 1.5 lire bottle of water to replenish my bidons (I'd had to use some of my starting supply to wash clay off my cleats as couldn't clip in and scrapiing wasn't doing the job.) and set off through the rest of Olocau, in the next villaage I stopped at the end to take a picture of the local castle and stepped into a park area, immediately sinking into more welt clay and going throughCleatgate a second time.

Amazingly there was a segregated cycle and access only car lane for the entire next 20km runnng parrallel to the dual carriageway and this took me to the start of the mountains proper.

At first climbing went well but I was passed handily by a local roadie on the way to the first peak and then began what I think was a 7km descent: many boardsies will know my story of hard earned technique over cowardice descnding progress and I can safely say on that first long winding clifftop descent all of that progress dissappeared.

After this descent and nother stop for a water refill I began the second and tallest ascetnt wherein two things happened, one the temperature rose to 26c and the road surface degenerated to sub wicklow loose gravel.

At this point I came to learn that every single climb in the Serra Calderon is basically a variatiopn on the Wicklow gap, never very steep but always never ending and flaunts it by showing you the next long stretch ahead of you at every corner.

It was truly beautfiul up there but it got difficult to manage my heart rate and athough it was a blessedly cloudy day with an occassional cool breeze the ambient temperature was sapping and Rivelo kit whle very nice does not breath well in warm close weather.

I tried to stop in the picturesque village of Alimehjad before the peak of this climb but could find no open shop or cafe (aside from the community pool) so I follishly forged on (and didn't risk the lovely looking font in the town square as it wasn't marked as potable.)

This led to me struggling up the rest of the climb with many stops to "take photos" and running out of water.

Luckily after an unpleaseantly gravelly 1st half of the descent on the other side, I found a local cafe/bar in the tiny hamlet of Ain (another gorgeous place) and despte being swarmed by hungry cats managed to fuel up with another 1.5l water, an ice cold radler, a coffee and a Bocadillo (turkey, melted cheese and spicy chutney - the Numero Cinco -) ; having my coffee stop mid descent was awesomesauce and gave me a boost through the next section which took me over a lower hill (still struggled with the heat and the headspace, f'in flies!) and after buying another 1.5l at the next town *actually at a random roadside hotel past the town) I had to deal with the flat heat of the open valley as I crossed for a good 25km to the final clmb, and ended up buying a 4th vbottle of water on the way!

The last climb was Oronet which I had managed handily on an 85k spin a few days before but again I found myself dragging in the heat and managed to stop at least three times on my way to the peak.

After this it was a straight drop back down through the town of Serra and a flat rush back to Valencia, where upon finally arvng (and emptying the last drip from my bidons on the edge of the city), I immediately lost the run of myself and got briefly lost ddespite having a dead cert way to get home.

Mission more or less accoplished at 175km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1159957585/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1504126482

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Is it me or is Strava a bit dodge lately? A few times I've set it on, gone off cycling, and on return home have hit the button, the flag, and 'save' - and it hasn't saved at all.

Maybe it's just expressing its contempt for my mingy little cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

RayCun wrote: »
    Car/bike collision right in front of me at the KCR today :(
    Car was breaking the lights :mad:
    Luckily both saw each other in time to slow down, but still hit each other. Cyclist went over the bonnet but got up, him and bike seemed ok.

You must be mistaken. It is cyclists that break the lights, not cars. You can ask Pat Kenny or George HOok if you don't believe me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement