Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Well it was yesterday but it was eventful so thought I'd share!
    Took the day off work as the missus had a hospital appointment and needed a lift to and from it.
    I got home afetr dropping her in and went for an early morning spin from Valleymount over the Gap and up and over Shay Elliot, doing both sides, then back into Laragh. Stopped for a coffee but had a missed call and it was the hospital saying the missus was ready to be collected (they were freeing up beds) so had to skip the coffee and head back up over the Gap.
    At the start of the spin I had 4-5 chain slips, all in the 28 on the back, so I stopped using that, which made climbing Shay interesting! Same thing going up the Gap but was going grand till 100 or so metres from the very top and I changed down to get some speed and crack, off came the rear derailleur! Totally snapped off, so I was not cycling home.
    Flagged down a tourist couple in the car park and explained that I needed to get home 16km away because I was in a rush to collect my girlfriend from the hospital. Their car was full tho so no joy there, next car I tried they just didnt seem interested so I told them forget it and I'll keep trying, next guy had a meeting in Hollywood so he wasnt interested in helping either. I was really annoyed at this stage, mostly at myself for bothering to go out and risking something like this that would stop me collecting her in the hospital.
    the fourth people I tried where 2 older women, but again they didnt seem keen to help so I kept trying. Finally, car 5 was 2 Canadian girls on holiday here. At first they were worried about the bike dirtying their rental car but I convinced them it wouldnt and explained my situation. They gave me a lift to right outside my home in Valleymount thankfully, whereupon I just threw the bike in the house, threw on some jeans and a jumper and out the door to the hospital.
    Stressful stuff, not sure why the rear mech died so catastrophically but hope to find out today whne I leave it in somewhere.. I'd assume the chain slipping at the start of the ride was a recursor to it.
    Was a beautiful morning for a cycle otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

terrydel wrote: »
    Stressful stuff, not sure why the rear mech died so catastrophically but hope to find out today whne I leave it in somewhere.. I'd assume the chain slipping at the start of the ride was a recursor to it.
    Was a beautiful morning for a cycle otherwise!

Obvious

Too much power;)

Obvious

Too much power;)

Obviously like! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Back to the scene of last year's torturefest. Climbed the Angliru again today. This time last year I wasn't in the best of shape, mentally or physically and despite giving it my all, I had to take a few breathers and I had a niggling sense of failure and a need to get things right.
    Came back in better shape and knocked almost 15 minutes off last years time. I still had to stop once because my mate toppled off on the steepest section and I nearly joined him when I looked over at him but once I saw he was OK I continued. Conditions were just like last weekend in la Vuelta, windy, cold and wet. The tyres were slipping like fuk anytime I got out of the saddle but the front wheel was lifting if I sat back down again:rolleyes:
    Descent was seriously tough and had a sobering moment passing the flowers laid where the girl was killed descending on Saturday. Both up and down, this mountain deserves every inch of your respect.
    37039644846_4d92e05d76_b.jpg21764785_1805360606148271_202187579380854119_n by Stephen Rochford, on Flickr
    36832159140_9134d98a0c_b.jpg21752011_1805861536098178_4070590008591399572_n by Stephen Rochford, on Flickr
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1183344175
    Obviously I need to come back again and make it to the top without stopping;)

After a break, we climbed La Cubilla. It's the highest road in Asturias and known as the Spanish Galibier. 27. 5km@5%. We took our time going up because realistically we were a bit shagged. It was stunning but when we got to the top the mist came down quickly and so did the temperature. Tough coming back down but all in all a hugely rewarding climb, definitely worth doing.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1184020245
    Total of 95km with 2770m climbed

Impacted wisdom tooth killing me today ... not ripe for removal yet unfortunately and decided I'd go for a short spin. Maybe it would take my mind off the pain , no got 500m got off and walked home :(

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Back to the scene of last year's torturefest. Climbed the Angliru again today.

Makes my whining about my wisdom tooth look minor to the pain I'm sure you felt up there. Really enjoyed reading about your adventures during the vuelta as I'm sure did others. Chapeau Sir!!!!!!!!!

Mrs Rollingscone had a late start in work today so asked me to forego my customary early morning spin so as not to disturb her lie in.

Fair enough I said, I'll go up to Howth after work then and just pootled straight to work.

Rode out to the end of the Clontarf cycle track and looked longingly at Howth head but thought...it'll be seven before I get home and it's my turn to cook the dinner so I'd best be good and head home now.

Got home and Mrs Rollingscone gave a surprised "What are you doing home so early? I thought you were going up Howth!"

Trollolllollolll

https://www.strava.com/activities/1185340593/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1505499825

Ps: I took a snoop through eastpoint on the way back, is there a pub there!?

Pps: That road surface/brick paving must be a 'mare in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

On Thursday I headed out but the wind gave me a savage earache so I gave up and went home after only 15Km. Made up for it yesterday by Harding to Howth (with my skullcap on covering my ears). Didn't realise how bad the wind was until I turned for home! Lots of PRs on the way out, snail-like performance on the way home!
    68km in 2hours 20

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Impacted wisdom tooth killing me today ... not ripe for removal yet unfortunately and decided I'd go for a short spin. Maybe it would take my mind off the pain , no got 500m got off and walked home :(

Missus had two or three that ended up having to be removed, but the wait was ****ing torture. Really ****ty. Wish you the best in managing the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Nice 50k this morning, love getting out early when there's less traffic on the roads. Seen the strangest thing this morning on the Clontarf cycle path, a man on a unicycle... the wheel was about 4ft!!!!!! Never seen anything like it before-someone please tell me I wasn't hallucinating:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭neris

feel your pain, have an ongoing dental issue and only getting it sorted now and last place with dental pain id wana be is on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Was gonna do that Blanch wheelies sportive today but remembered that last year we weren't home till nearly half 3 which is too much domestic absence for 100k. Headed for the hills instead - N81 to Hollywood, left for Donard, over the "Bearna" & on to Sliabh Maun, Shay Elliot, Laragh for coffee and Glenmacnass Sally gap, featherbeds home. It's a fabulous, testing route on a nice day and it was a lovely day, if a little cold.

Passed by a gorgeous 172 reg F-Pace leaving Laragh. The only time I wished briefly that I was somewhere other than on my bike :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the f-pace is ugly. the f-type doesn't scale up to an SUV.

i think the f-pace is ugly. the f-type doesn't scale up to an SUV.

Whoops!

Sorry, it was the type not the pace! I agree on the (& virtually all) SUV. British racing green. Was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

fat bloke wrote: »
    Was gonna do that Blanch wheelies sportive today but remembered that last year we weren't home till nearly half 3 which is too much domestic absence for 100k. Headed for the hills instead - N81 to Hollywood, left for Donard, over the "Bearna" & on to Sliabh Maun, Shay Elliot, Laragh for coffee and Glenmacnass Sally gap, featherbeds home. It's a fabulous, testing route on a nice day and it was a lovely day, if a little cold.

Passed by a gorgeous 172 reg F-Pace leaving Laragh. The only time I wished briefly that I was somewhere other than on my bike :).

I think we were sitting beside you in Laragh.

Nice day for a spin. 100k club spin - up to Sally via the Liam Horner, down to Laragh for a quick coffee and home the easy way through Roundwood. I've been trying out fasted rides. That was my longest - if you exclude a double espresso.

daragh_ wrote: »
    I think we were sitting beside you in Laragh.

Nice day for a spin. 100k club spin - up to Sally via the Liam Horner, down to Laragh for a quick coffee and home the easy way through Roundwood. I've been trying out fasted rides. That was my longest - if you exclude a double espresso.

Nice one. Were ye Tiernans or Bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

fat bloke wrote: »
    Nice one. Were ye Tiernans or Bray?

Tiernans :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Club spin today. First in a while. Group with about 4 half wheelers in n it. Everyone of them thinking it was a race...minus craic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

90km around NCD this afternoon; decided to take advantage of the fact the roads would be quieter. had not been intending on being out that long, and the last 15km became a bit of a struggle as i was underfueled. still, nice day for it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1188892969

Time to start walking the distances back up after my Spanish adventures.

Headed out this morning with no real idea of what I was up for, forgot my armwarmers and suffered a bit for that I started out with shiny tyres on shiny roads but the climb out of Enniskerry to Glencree warmed me up nicely (and spotting a red squirrell warmed my heart) and the weather improved steadily after that, from Glencree I did the two gaps and got some of my descending Mojo back. Took some moments to appreciate the landscape but never because I couldn't continue..except on the Wicklow Gap where it was psychological rather than physical.

As is traditional a tour bus passed me danger close on the Wicklow Gap only for me to pass it parked in the first car park...

Only got passed and dropped once...which is good going for me and it was on a descent, chap on one of the high end Boardmans.

Passed a few lads on the final stretch back to Crooksling which was nice.

Definitely a quiet day out there.

Turned out to be a nice one.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1188500902/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1505664519

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭secman

Sat: slept it out and only managed to get out to Blessington and back road to Manor Kilbride and back home for 11 o'clock to see grandson in his football academy, get a kick out watching him, he's only 5.
    45 km avg just under 28 kph.

Sunday :Headed to ballycanew and on to Gorey, out old n11 to inch and on to Arklow. Down to Woodenbridge and out a bit towards Avoca. Back to woodenbridge, stopped for a quick cuppa and a bar, back to Arklow and on to Gorey. Took road down to Courtown and coast road back towards Ballygarrett, took first turn for killenagh and home. 82 km avg 27 kph.

secman wrote: »
    Sat: slept it out and only managed to get out to Blessington and back road to Manor Kilbride and back home for 11 o'clock to see grandson in his football academy, get a kick out watching him, he's only 5.
    45 km avg just under 28 kph.

Sunday :Headed to ballycanew and on to Gorey, out old n11 to inch and on to Arklow. Down to Woodenbridge and out a bit towards Avoca. Back to woodenbridge, stopped for a quick cuppa and a bar, back to Arklow and on to Gorey. Took road down to Courtown and coast road back towards Ballygarrett, took first turn for killenagh and home. 82 km avg 27 kph.

You seem to be flying mate. are you still living in Kilnamanagh?
    You might recall me saying I gre up there, lived on Boot Road in Clondalkin for 7 years up til July, but have moved out to Valleymount past Blessington now, lovely spot to cycle.

You seem to be flying mate. are you still living in Kilnamanagh?
    You might recall me saying I gre up there, lived on Boot Road in Clondalkin for 7 years up til July, but have moved out to Valleymount past Blessington now, lovely spot to cycle.

Yep still in kilnamanagh Mon to Fri/ Sat and out in sticks in North wexford on weekends hence the blessington and Gorey spins. Yeh I saw from your posts that you are in Valleymount, really lovely spot, love cycling around there. The only thing is , will it be hard for you to get some winter mid week spins in ? Thanks for the comment, really enjoying the biking at the moment and invested in 2 new bikes recently , the upside to hitting 60. Sure you are flying yourself on those hills and sportives.
    Best of luck on your new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Lovely morning for it. Not too hot, not too cold and a lovely clear morning to boot. A great time of year to be on the bike!

Yep still in kilnamanagh Mon to Fri/ Sat and out in sticks in North wexford on weekends hence the blessington and Gorey spins. Yeh I saw from your posts that you are in Valleymount, really lovely spot, love cycling around there. The only thing is , will it be hard for you to get some winter mid week spins in ? Thanks for the comment, really enjoying the biking at the moment and invested in 2 new bikes recently , the upside to hitting 60. Sure you are flying yourself on those hills and sportives.
    Best of luck on your new house.

Cheers mate. I've never done too many after dark winter spins so it'll be same again, use the turbo and perhaps every so often go out with the lights on in the pitch black! But its worth it to live in such a beautiful place.
    Seeing the improvement is a greater motivator isnt it? I've seen a lot of improvement the last 12 months and it makes it feel worthwhile :)
    What bikes did you get? I'm due a cycle to work scheme spring next year, cant wait :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/1189886387

Lovely morning for a spin - should have left earlier to make more of the time.
    45Km around NCD taking in Naul and Snowtown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Back from Northern Spain after a couple of epic spins with a buddy of mine.
    TL;DR Nearly 300km in 3 days with 7000m odd climbing. Pics at the bottom of the post

As mentioned above, climbed the Angliru and La Cubilla on day 1.
    On day 2 we tackled Lagos De Covadonga in the morning and Alto de Sotres (Jitu Escrandi). Compared to the Angliru they were easy but they are anything but easy. I've been up Covadonga before and knew that the 12km@7.8% is deceptive as there's a flat and downhill sections so it's really 9km@9% and a km of that at 12.5% without a break up around the Huesera ramp.

The weather was fine so I set off at a good pace and kept it going to the top, improving last years time by nearly 5 minutes. My mate followed shortly afterwards and after a lovely coffee and croissant in the cafe at the top we made the descent. I love that descent. It's a great balance between technical and lightning fast, a real rewarding hurtle down the mountain. Made it down safely and buzzing and threw the bikes in the van and headed over for the second climb of the day.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1184856415

Sotres is 11km@7% but again there's a couple of easy kms offset by vicious ramps up to 20% including one section of nearly a km@16% near the top. With heavy enough legs after the morning spin this was far more of a steady touristy spin and to be honest, I was just astounded by the beauty of the area. It's a stunning canyon with thousand foot cliffs either side. The spin started off dry but about 3km from the top it got nasty and we had to put in a bit of a spurt to get into a cafe before we got pelted with rain and hailstones. We decided not to bother with the last km to the very top where the Vuelta stage finished last year as another km averaging 18-20% all the way didn't appeal as much as the thought of getting back down during a break in the weather. The road was dodgy on the descent and the last 3 or 4 km it opened the heavens again so we were just happy to get out of the wet and cold and away home.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1185167192
    Total for the day- 83km with 2236m climbed.

Day 3 saw us cycle the Puerto San Glorio pass over the mountains and on to the town of Riano. This meant a lot to me because seeing this place on the Vuelta 3 years ago was the clincher for me to plan a holiday in Northern Spain, but despite coming here twice previously, I hadn't cycled up here due either time due to time constraints and weather, turning back a few km short the first time.
    This year I was getting there no matter what.
    Puerto San Glorio is a really long climb steady, 26km@5% from Potes, a bit easier to start with the last 16@6.5%. The two previous days really started to affect my friend and about 10 km into the cycle he asked for the keys of the van and told me he'd go back and collect me later if I needed it. I slowed the pace right down and coaxed him a little, he soldiered on and eventually once he saw the top of the pass in the distance he said he'd continue at his own pace and meet me on the other side. I pushed on a bit after that and took in another viewing point off the top of the main climb. I could see him in the distance coming to the top of the pass so by the time I got down we had a gentle descent and about 10km flat to the town.
    It was breathtaking. The lake with the mountains in the background left me with a lump in my throat. 3 years waiting was worth every minute.
    We had a fantastic meal in a fancy hotel there. The Veal Tenderloin just melted in my mouth. The cycle back was at a much more reserved effort as quite frankly I was now bolloxed. When we made the top we could see some clouds rolling in behind us so we didn't hang around. The best part of a 26km climb on perfect roads? The descent!! I went down it like a bullet. If my wife ever sees the video I took we'll probably have issues :D
    Rolled on home for 118.8km with 2125m climbed.
    The weather was fairly Irish over the 3 days, maximum of about 17, much colder up top of the mountains and a few showers of rain and some mist just to remind us that this was definitely not a summer training camp in Majorca but in general it was grand for being on the bike.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1186788163

Then realised Ryanair had cancelled our flights home from Santander so another adventure ensued involving a few frantic phone calls, less than 5 hours sleep, a 6 hour train journey to Madrid and the last 2 seats left on the plane. But anyway.... It was a fcking blast.

2l9s7ib.jpg

21lriph.jpg

erxw7q.jpg

fax6b4.jpg

1o93xu.jpg

2cz7blh.jpg

1zfsok5.jpg

wmjui0.jpg

What bikes did you get? I'm due a cycle to work scheme spring next year, cant wait :pac:

Trek emonda Sl 6 pro , full ultegra & with carbon wheels... beong the good bike in wexford
    Planet x pro carbon full ultegra & stock fulcrum wheels now the Dublin bike.
    Winter bike wexford, caad 9 full ultegra with a few carbon bits , forks, seat post, saddle and crank.
    And then there's the vintage Raparee steel frame with dura ace on decent mavic wheels... which will be confined to occasional nostalgic spins in wexford.

Great riding, great photos and great report.

Chapeau on the triple threat Daroxtar

• Advertisement

Trek emonda Sl 6 pro , full ultegra & with carbon wheels... beong the good bike in wexford
    Planet x pro carbon full ultegra & stock fulcrum wheels now the Dublin bike.
    Winter bike wexford, caad 9 full ultegra with a few carbon bits , forks, seat post, saddle and crank.
    And then there's the vintage Raparee steel frame with dura ace on decent mavic wheels... which will be confined to occasional nostalgic spins in wexford.

Thats a fine stable, I've 105 on mine but had full ultegra on a rental in Italy this year and its a big step up, imho its as much as the likes of you and me could ever need. Just feels really good quality :)
    Enjoy those new bikes as much as you can :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement