Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Great riding, great photos and great report.

Chapeau on the triple threat Daroxtar

Second that, seems like a seriously impressive few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I did just 18 Km today on the Great Western Greenway from Newport to Mulranny on a hired Kona hybrid that was way too big for me, just couldn't get the saddle height right and I seemed to be fully stretched on top. Seemed to take the same out of me as 50 Km on my road bike.

That said it was a lovely day out, nice scenery, the OH had an e-bike and she enjoyed the trip. First time using hydraulic disc brakes and liked the operation of them.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

58Km out around NCD and saw a few new places.. Thanks to Eamon on the red Planet X for the directions from Ard Cath!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1191179823

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

25k over lunch up by Kilternan and back via Cruagh. While getting up the hill with a couple of extra kgs on board was hard, descending Cruagh with knackered shoulders was a total nightmare and one I won't be repeating again any time soon. Will try it the other way around next time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

terrydel wrote: »
    Second that, seems like a seriously impressive few days.

Third! Truly impressive stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Cheers lads. I ended up doing less than originally planned as my mate was just getting over a bad chest infection and didn't have the legs for another 50km and 1000m per day. Having the van meant we could cut out a fair bit of dead miles between the main climbs and have a nice few hours recovery and food in the middle. By the end of the last day my quads were in a fairly tender state and would doubtlessly have been worse if we'd gone ahead with the original routes. Plus it leaves more for the next time ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycling up newtownpark avenue this morning, up near the very last steep bit, i passed a chap on a bike towing his six year old up the hill. made my effort look a little pale.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1194564478

66km around NCD @ 27kmh. Lovely afternoon for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,984 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »

1o93xu.jpg
    Snap!! :D

LWNfY9Xh.jpg

Loving the coloured tyres on that Wishbone!!!!! Very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

https://www.strava.com/activities/1194281239

38.6km today from Dunshaughlin to Dunboyne then Ratoath and home, had a quick stop in to get the Horses feed ready for tomorrow hence pictures of the neddys. Coming back from flu but legs feeling better from the break

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Day 4 of my end of season rest period, not a happy camper, 1 left to go and need it to end quickly.

I miss my bike!!!

Snap!! :D

LWNfY9Xh.jpg

Its some spot in all fairness, Pics really do it no justice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

went for a cycle today along the Royal Canal from Mullingar out to the Meath border
    about 21km and then back again on a regular hybrid
    was a glorious day for it
    lovely wooded sections, colours of autumn in full flow
    three pubs along the canal between Hill of Down and McKneads bridge at the motorway (we might have stopped in one or two)

a few weekends ago we went from Mullingar to Ballynacarrigy in the other direction - more locks, much quieter in terms of walkers or cyclists, the canal is raised above the surrounding landscape a bit more

loads of parking at various points along the route. highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Busy weekend starting with the Tony Golden Garda memorial passport cycle on Saturday morning, involving 165 km with 1200m climbing and getting your "passport" stamped at every Garda station in county louth.
    This was tough.. very very tough with significant climbs in Cooley and the wind holy jeebus the wind was savage.But man was it good brilliant event limited numbers but may grow watch out for it next year.
    (Btw all funds were donated to rnli , Golden famlies choice to donate in respect of lost 116 crewman and neighbour Mark Duffy RIP) quodos.
    Sunday hangover recovery spin of 60 km @ 35 avg to raise a few bob for a local cyclist who had a bad smash this year.
    #legs bo11ixed.

Nice club spin today. Good number out and a nice steady pace. I was barely breaking sweat for most of it until the last few km when the group split and the strong young lads headed over to Newtown Hill and gombeen here decided to go with them. Lads who place top 10 in the Junior tour should be let off on their own!

Was wondering towards the end of the spin why my legs were beginning to feel it when I had only done about 55km. Then I realised I had somehow managed to change my display to miles.
    Finished up with bang on the 100km. Much better than 62 :D
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1199105571

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

moonshadow wrote: »
    Busy weekend starting with the Tony Golden Garda memorial passport cycle on Saturday morning, involving 165 km with 1200m climbing and getting your "passport" stamped at every Garda station in county louth.
    This was tough.. very very tough with significant climbs in Cooley and the wind holy jeebus the wind was savage.But man was it good brilliant event limited numbers but may grow watch out for it next year.
    (Btw all funds were donated to rnli , Golden famlies choice to donate in respect of lost 116 crewman and neighbour Mark Duffy RIP) quodos.
    Sunday hangover recovery spin of 60 km @ 35 avg to raise a few bob for a local cyclist who had a bad smash this year.
    #legs bo11ixed.
    I saw that cycle advertised earlier in the year, it looked good craic and I made a mental note to look into it. I forgot though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Was wondering towards the end of the spin why my legs were beginning to feel it when I had only done about 55km. Then I realised I had somehow managed to change my display to miles.
    Finished up with bang on the 100km. Much better than 62 :D
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1199105571

This happened to me yesterday too. l had a look at the distance after about an hour and had less than 20k done. But my average speed was over 25. I was rightly confused

Was afraid to try change it incase in messed up the recording.

Spent the rest if the day trying to convert what I had done into km

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Really couldn't face the wind and rain, and drivers, on Saturday so went out on the hardtail. Really enjoyed the spin (despite fork issues, as per the maintenance thread). Since my last time out a few new trails between me and ballinastoe have opened (and I've discovered a few more), which means I can cycle over with very little road and make a decent spin out of it.

They've really done up the trails in ballinastoe since I was last there. Was thinking n+1 would be an mtb, and saturday probably confirmed it, but really a full suss is looking overkill unless I'm ready to brave natural trails again. I did skip bump n grind and expressway, due to the fork issues, but I assume they've had the same work done? Anyway, no money for the moment but food for thought!

70km around NCD and as far over as Ashbourne @28.7kmh, which surprised me as I'm usually more snail-like.
    Lovely morning for a spin

https://www.strava.com/activities/1200829835

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Not quite my cycle today but just back early this morning from 10 days Faro to Alicante following the coast. 1115kms.

Not a drop of rain and not too hot most days. Back on the commute this evening which will be a bit strange..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Such a pleasant spin yesterday with Mrs B. Parked at the Beehive, then off to Deputy's pass, Rathdrum, Avondale, Avoca, over Beech Road to Arklow, across to the coast, up past Brittas and turn left at Magheramore to get back to the Beehive. A gentle 50k, with ever improving weather and lovely evening light.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Not quite my cycle today but just back early this morning from 10 days Faro to Alicante following the coast. 1115kms.

Not a drop of rain and not too hot most days. Back on the commute this evening which will be a bit strange..

Nice, sounds amazing. A full write up would be much appreciated :cool: , I'm looking at doing trip like this in the near(ish) future.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Good 65km around NCD this morning...out early before them high temps lovely aul spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Seaswimmer wrote: »

colm18 wrote: »
    Nice, sounds amazing. A full write up would be much appreciated :cool: , I'm looking at doing trip like this in the near(ish) future.

Well not much to write about. I have done the trip in the opposite direction before. I am not sure I would do this trip again for a couple of reasons.

1. Road from San Roque all the way through to Malaga is busy fast moving dual carriageway and not too pleasant to cycle on. No real alternatives unless you want to go up into the mountains.

2. Not much of a "Spanish experience" all the way from Estepona to Alicante. Coast is just full of resort towns (with a few exceptions).

Not for this thread but I did a trip a few years ago from Seville up to Santiago through the interior of Spain and that was by far my favourite of the trips I have done. PM me if you are thinking of anything in particular in Spain/Portugal and I will try and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had a really weird one today cycling in. Every once in a while I come across this old fella (65+) walking in the cycle track. I ring my bell sometimes, he usually responds with "F*ck off". Today I saw him up ahead with his back to me, and he was stopped, I didn't ring the bell but he was waiting with a big rock in his hand and as I passed he lifted his arm to throw it at me! He didn't throw it, but what the hell! What a psycho!

I had a really weird one today cycling in. Every once in a while I come across this old fella (65+) walking in the cycle track. I ring my bell sometimes, he usually responds with "F*ck off". Today I saw him up ahead with his back to me, and stopped, I didn't ring the bell but he was waiting with a big rock in his hand and as I passed he lifted his arm to throw it at me! He didn't throw it, but what the hell! What a psycho!

Jaysus that jarred something of a memory in me. Haven't lived in the area for about 5 years now but I used encounter a man same MO minus rock who liked to walk in a cycle lane and shout at me as I passed. This would have been on the churchtown road upper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jaysus that jarred something of a memory in me. Haven't lived in the area for about 5 years now but I used encounter a man same MO minus rock who liked to walk in a cycle lane and shout at me as I passed. This would have been on the churchtown road upper.

I've moved since I last updated my profile! This is on the coast down from Baldoyle. I'll look to keep my camera running through that section tomorrow and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just an extended commute on the world famous Wolfgang Beaterson for me:

Strava description says it best:
    Dropped chain amidst a cloud of junkies. Dropped a dodgy pursuer in the park. Dealt with surprise mud traps in the singletrack and piles of cut grass on the few features Fatbag McCrapbag took on. Held firm when headphone peds Zombie walked across steep tracks.

It's a shared space but the obviousness of some people is astounding.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1203053380/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1506453034

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Cycled into town on the good bike and so had a financially and technologically assisted commute of awesomeness in the rising sun and slight tailwind. Park fun later. It's already a deadly day and it's only gonna get better.

Nearly managed 30kph average total time (although Strava's ego pleasing moving time does tip me over that mark)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement