Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jesus lads it was roasting this morning. I walked out of the house in my usual shorts and jersey and felt like I was in Sicily or something. That was all great until I had to fight the wind to make any progress. It was pretty brutal down the coast, average speed was in the low 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Jesus lads it was roasting this morning. I walked out of the house in my usual shorts and jersey and felt like I was in Sicily or something. That was all great until I had to fight the wind to make any progress. It was pretty brutal down the coast, average speed was in the low 20's.

Snap! Thought the same, just back from a 40k spin all going well till I hit Sutton and the wind along the cycle path into Clontarl was brutal...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

43km yesterday in balmy conditions, still in 3/4 bibs. Averaged 27kmph but hard enough on the way back home with a heavy crosswind. Winter/CX bike going great, surprised at how good the BB7 mechanical discs are doing. Trying out a Prologo Nago saddle at the moment, one of three to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Monday should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

cdaly_ wrote: »

As I spotted somewhere else this morning - In Kerry, that would be classed as a light breeze :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Quick gallop for me this morn. 35k and my garmin prompted me to push on and get a PB on a segment I travel across regularly. Out in bib shorts and jersey as it was toasty warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jesus lads it was roasting this morning....
    It was 19 degrees at 8am acccording to my Garmin in Dublin City centre this morning (which is warmer than most mid-summer mornings) yet many cyclists were wearing full fingered gloves, winter tights, leg warmers, rain jackets, scarfs, overshoes, ski masks etc.

Can these people not adapt according to the prevailing conditions or don't they check the forecast? I was sweltering in shorts and a short sleeved jersey.

It was 19 degrees at 8am acccording to my Garmin in Dublin City centre this morning (which is warmer than most mid-summer mornings) yet many cyclists were wearing full fingered gloves, winter tights, leg warmers, rain jackets, scarfs, overshoes, ski masks etc.

Can these people not adapt according to the prevailing conditions or don't they check the forecast? I was sweltering in shorts and a short sleeved jersey.

Yeah I saw the same, jackets and long leggings... I felt I was sweating the second I stood outside, never mind after pedaling! I do notice that regularly at this time of year though, after a bit of a cold snap (not even that cold...), people just wrap up and keep it on regardless. I would be in pools of sweat in no time if that were me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Saw a guy on canal at inchicore this morning on a gravel bike, full leggings, overshoes, winter jacket, winter gloves, one of those neck warmer balaclava type yoke.... looked at temp reading in the car... 18 degrees. He must have smelled lovely if he was commuting to work.

Cloudy and damp but not raining when I looked out earlier, no wind and horribly warm in the night too. Glad I went with a summer jersey even though I only did 25km due to time I was roasted.

• Advertisement

65km this morning round NCD, also passed the 2,000k mark (from April '17) happy enough to with that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

did my longest spin of the year so far this morning. a whopping ............... 47.4km :o

still need to do another 40km to reach the heady heights of a 1000km for the year, however on the plus side im down more then a stone and a half since i got back on the bike in mid august, i no longer have to suck my gut in to fit into my kit and clothes i was squeezing into are now way too loose and been replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

A very short 7km with both kids in the trailer to bring us up over 200km for the week and 2000km since I got back cycling in late July.

Quick 45k this morning...decided to finally tackle Howth Head, came in the Sutton side and thoroughly enjoyed it...

80k for me and a mate today, uneventful until my chain snapped. I was coming round a roundabout at the airport and got out of the saddle to accelerate and bam, chain snapped, did a slow speed wobble, into the curb and a nice tumble (according to my mate) onto the grass. No injury as such but just got a fright. No indications of a chain /drivetrain problem upto that point and chain was only 4 months old and well cared for. I did have some problems in the summer too with a different chain so I had a chain splitter in the saddle bag and managed to piece it together to limp home.

But what would cause this? Is it better to have the LBS fit a replacement rather than do it myself (higher precision tools). It was a Shimano chain and between this incident and the summer adventures I am going with a different brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did the Gerry Brannigan ride from clonee. I enjoy this - it’s hammer time from the off and no food / drink stop - the Garmin is telling me the 60km course was completed in just over 1:46 at an average of 34.2kph.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Luxman wrote: »
    But what would cause this? Is it better to have the LBS fit a replacement rather than do it myself (higher precision tools). It was a Shimano chain and between this incident and the summer adventures I am going with a different brand.
    not that i have any real expertise to offer, but did it snap at a normal link or at the joining link?

not that i have any real expertise to offer, but did it snap at a normal link or at the joining link?
    At a normal link. The outer plate was pushed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Luxman wrote: »
    80k for me and a mate today, uneventful until my chain snapped.......

But what would cause this? .

Pure raw power. Happened to me a few times. Nothing can be done. Just accept that you are an animal. :D

Had a good spin today. Had planned to go to the mountains but slept in a bit and the thought of the winds up on the featherbeds wasn't overly appealing, despite the lure of definite PRs on the segments coming back from Laragh.
    It was breezy here but very mild and dry apart from one spell of drizzle for a few minutes so I headed off to the club spin.
    First part was the first round of the club winter league. Got dropped about 5km from the end. Rookie mistake of doing too much when chasing down a break and then dying trying to recover and still taking turns up front. I can climb mountains all day long but I really need to work on my racing. Grinding away at threshold is a whole lot different to putting in multiple spurts above it. All good though, I'm sure it will stand to me.
    Second part was a good paced social spin of around 35 km, having the chat and a laugh, really what cycling with the club on on a Sunday morning is all about.
    Race was from Mother Hubbard to kinnegad, back to Enfield and back to Hubbards to finish. Then the social spin was back to kinnegad, killucan and back roads back to Longwood.
    80km@31.5kmh average
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1231229772

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Yesterday, Mary Lynch's Pub, Westmeath to Ballymahon, Longford along the Royal Canal towpath. Just over 50km each way, all on a good surface. A nice leisurely pace and a great day out for October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Did the Gerry Brannigan ride from clonee. I enjoy this - it’s hammer time from the off and no food / drink stop - the Garmin is telling me the 60km course was completed in just over 1:46 at an average of 34.2kph.

It was definitely hammer time for the last 20km. My Strava says almost 40kph average. Did enjoy it!

Breezy this morning, nothing hurricane related but still had to put effort in coming into Dublin city from Portmarnock. Not much damage that I could see on the roads, the Clontarf cycle track was mostly fine, small bits of debris here and there but nothing out of the norm after a windy night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, summer is definitely over. google was claiming 4C in dublin when i left the house.
    problem of cycling with even a small bag on your back - back ends up sweating like no tomorrow, while your fingers are starting to numb slightly. glad i bought those arm warmers in aldi though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Decided to try a different route into work. Came across a lad with a kid in the bike of his bike.

To put the child seat in he had to take off the saddle bag and of course he got a puncture.

To make things worse he had a medical appointment for the little lad and couldn't miss it.

Gave him a spare tyre and all the heat he needed to fix the puncture while the little lad told me about trucks.

I believe in karma. The man I helped told me that he recently gave a lift home to some one stuck on a bike on Sally Gap. That's karma right there!

Hopefully he made his appointment

45k around NCD and up Howth Head, glad I went with full bib tights, bit nippy this morning finger tips very cold, time for the full finger gloves I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Went for a spin after lunch. Had planned ~50-60km. 5km out the road I realised I was too hung over, pushed on for a bit. Turned back @10km as I was really struggling.
    Did 21km in the end. Now over in the pub for a cure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

QHb8r56.jpg

48 Km around NCD on the newly painted winter hack. Need new batteries for my Garmin sensors and another mount, but that's it now.
    I was surprised by how mild it was out as I was dressed for much colder conditions and so had to peel layers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

11wingnut wrote: »

For anyone else clicking this who want's to avoid a permanent tic from rolling their eyes in quick succession DON'T READ THE COMMENTS!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/1247486438

55Km around NCD. My legs are feeling a bit sore in places I'm not used to - must be the different bike that I'm not used to now. It was never a problem before but I must have got used to the Rose. Can't wait for better weather as I miss my Di2 already...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement