Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Company with Irish Bank Account

Options
  • 04-07-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

My employer is foreign. There's only 3 Irish employees. They have an Irish bank account through which we get paid. They have no offices in Ireland and we are all remote employees.

I've recently discovered that my employer has let their company registration status lapse (confirmed by the CRO). They had registered as a "place of business". With the change in Companies Act 2014, they never reregistered. So, legally, they don't exist in Ireland. Is the operation of their bank account contingent on them having a company status in Ireland? The CRO said that the bank would freeze their funds if they knew this. If this is true, how would I go about making the bank aware of this? I know which bank is involved, but not the branch.

FiveFingers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You want the bank to freeze the account that's used to pay your wages? Are you sure you've thought this through fully?

Have you mentioned the issue to your employer to give them the opportunity to sort things out?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FiveFingers

Thanks Graham. I just want to know what the facts are. My employer has let me go after 5.5 years of service and they're refusing to acknowledge that it's a redundancy situation, thereby denying me statutory redundancy. I can't lodge a complaint with the Workplace Relations Commission because they have no legal status here in Ireland. Basically, they're totally screwing me and I want to figure out a way to "encourage" them to do the right thing. I rang the Financial Services Ombudsman, they referred me to Consumer Protection. They've referred me to the Central Bank. The person I talked to at the Central Bank hadn't a clue and advised me to submit a written enquiry. So, now I'm waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime, I just wondered if anyone on here had the answer to my question.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you managed to get the details for their original 'Place of Business' registration?

What did workplace relations say to you when you tries to pursue the issue though them?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FiveFingers

Yes, the CRO gave me the details and I'll have to use those details in my WRC complaint. No one that I've talked to in the WRC has come across this situation. They've advised me to submit the complaint but that any favourable judgement is not enforceable. I'm hoping that a favourable judgement would help my employer do the right thing. Otherwise, I'm hoping that their lack of company status poses problems for their bank account and that they'll either do the right thing by me in terms of my statutory redundancy payment or that they'll be forced to regregister as a company and then I'll be able to pursue them.

Advertisement