Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

16A Type 1 Tethered charger

• 04-07-2016 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Can anyone advise on where is best to buy a Type 1 16A tethered charger?

(If anyone has one second hand let me know).

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

www.theevcompany.com

Irish company, great to deal with. I bought a 32a untethered charger from them when I got my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Not sure why you'd buy a 16A rather than a 32A as they cost the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cros13 wrote: »
    Not sure why you'd buy a 16A rather than a 32A as they cost the same.

Don't have 32A available on the supply side even with diversity applied. Would need to fit a priority unit, so it will drop out when the electric shower is used. Also the vehicle only has a 3.5KW charger.

A 6sq cable has been pulled in to allow for future proofing, but happy to charge at 16A for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You can still put in a 32A charger now. The car will still only pull the 3.3kw and you wont have to change the charger in future.... thats the point being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

... and electric showers are better replaced by power showers anyway.... at least where you have the option. :D

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »
    ... and electric showers are better replaced by power showers anyway.... at least where you have the option. :D

Absolutely, too many electric showers handed out in this country when people only need pumped only, wasting all the hot water in the tank when the immersion and central heating is on.

Even the ESB say it's ridiculous that people are not in anyway educated about these showers when they buy them or before they buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

How future proof is the 30a charger or is there something better on the horizon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Absolutely, too many electric showers handed out in this country when people only need pumped only, wasting all the hot water in the tank when the immersion and central heating is on.

Even the ESB say it's ridiculous that people are not in anyway educated about these showers when they buy them or before they buy them.

It is insane... What's even more is that building regulations ban an electric socket in the bathroom - it isn't safe...

But electric shower - go ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Can you buy the charger cable heads separate and make up your own cables. Is it a big job to wire them up or should it be in the wheelhouse of the average electrician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Still looking for a public charge cable and tethered charge point, drop me a PM if anyone has either and are looking to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I have instantaneous water heating for both Shower and hand taps in the bathroom, I use my immersion about 4 times a year

my water heating costs with electricity are simply negligible

heating large amounts of water that nobody wants is just as crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

BoatMad wrote: »
    I have instantaneous water heating for both Shower and hand taps in the bathroom, I use my immersion about 4 times a year

my water heating costs with electricity are simply negligible

heating large amounts of water that nobody wants is just as crazy

What power does the heater have?

We have solar heating backed up with gas, but on winter days despite massive tank it is easy enough to run out of hot water...

I'd prefer to simplify the pipework and have electric pass-through heater installed - but was advised only 3-phase would make sense, hence did not pursue the topic...

grogi wrote: »

We have solar heating backed up with gas, but on winter days despite massive tank it is easy enough to run out of hot water...

I'd prefer to simplify the pipework and have electric pass-through heater installed - but was advised only 3-phase would make sense, hence did not pursue the topic...

Whole house instaneous heating , is not practical in Ireland with the typical capacity of the single phase feed. Gas would be the only option.

However individual prioritised Heaters on showers and taps are entirely practical and there are also a number of units at 7kw that will supply a shower and hand basin

With today's usage patterns , unless you have a bath ( we don't any more ) there is little justification in heating litres and litres of water that nobody wants. Washing machines and dishwashers are all cold fill these days as well

BoatMad wrote: »
    grogi wrote: »

Whole house instaneous heating , is not practical in Ireland with the typical capacity of the single phase feed. Gas would be the only option.

However individual prioritised Heaters on showers and taps are entirely practical and there are also a number of units at 7kw that will supply a shower and hand basin

With today's usage patterns , unless you have a bath ( we don't any more ) there is little justification in heating litres and litres of water that nobody wants. Washing machines and dishwashers are all cold fill these days as well

I don't entirely agree. Of course you shouldn't heat 300ltrs of water everyday and only use half of it but if you are using renewable tech like solar or heat pump its more efficient to heat a tank than to use a heating element that is burning at 7kw like yours. You are only heating what you use but it's an inefficient heating method.

It depends I suppose on your usage pattern and volume and whether the cost of renewables makes sense for you. Each to their own but it's not a one size fits all is what I'm saying.

KCross wrote: »
    I don't entirely agree. Of course you shouldn't heat 300ltrs of water everyday and only use half of it but if you are using renewable tech like solar or heat pump its more efficient to heat a tank than to use a heating element that is burning at 7kw like yours. You are only heating what you use but it's an inefficient heating method.

It depends I suppose on your usage pattern and volume and whether the cost of renewables makes sense for you. Each to their own but it's not a one size fits all is what I'm saying.

I know we are a bit off topic here , but no domestic renewable system makes financial sense in Ireland at present. PV might have some practical apllcation if ( and its a big if ) FiT has introduced.

Solar heating of DHW is nonsense economics. I've looked into it extensively , I'd be dead before any real payback would occur. This of course overlooks just exactly what I would do with 500-1000 litres of hot water in the summertime ( thermal store )

Instaneous water heating is the most economically efficient way to heat small quantities of water , that's a simple fact . And it's one of the lowest capex solutions as well.

For example water for hand washing is easily heated on demand using a 3kw 15A small tap centric heater. Highly efficient , minuscule running costs and no wasted hot water.

Yes there may be circumstances where you need relatively large volumes of hot water , such as baths and what not. But outside this any form of centralised hot water generation makes no sense

I agree solar doesn't make a lot of sense even with grants.
    I agree small quantities at sinks are better heated on demand but if you have 4+ in a house with power showers you need something better than a heating element.

My hot water costs me around 100/yr using a heat pump and that's for a more or less unlimited supply. It's integrated into the house heating system using night rate elec.

I'll stick to my point, one size doesn't fit all. Your system suits you, that's fine, it probably wouldn't suffice for me.

KCross wrote: »
    I agree solar doesn't make a lot of sense even with grants.
    I agree small quantities at sinks are better heated on demand but if you have 4+ in a house with power showers you need something better than a heating element.

My hot water costs me around 100/yr using a heat pump and that's for a more or less unlimited supply. It's integrated into the house heating system using night rate elec.

I'll stick to my point, one size doesn't fit all. Your system suits you, that's fine, it probably wouldn't suffice for me.

Rather then ding dong this , I would point out that the TCO of any energy consumption includes the capital costs and any interest plus servicing and eventual equipment replacement.

I suspect that's considerably more then 100 per year !!

But let's not quibble

Advertisement