Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is LC Music HL hard?

Options
  • 04-07-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm going into 6th year next year, I play guitar very well, but have never studied music before. If I chose to do the extra 25% practical, then half my exam will be based on my guitar playing, but I want to know how difficult the rest is? I've heard it's very difficult anyway so Idk, but it's either this or focus on ordinary level maths. please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

To be honest, you'd want to have a good grasp of music theory and composing (melody, keys, what chords fit what melody, rhythm, triads) as well as listening skills (texture, what instruments can be heard in an excerpt, style, time signature) to be able to handle the paper. You'd also want to be able to read music on a stave to a good standard.

If you're looking for around a C (about a H4) in Music then it might be worth a try. Music is a LC subject with one of the highest (if not the highest) percentage of students getting a C or better each year, IIRC. However, A1s (H1s) are scarce according to statistics, and if that's what you're after then Music may not be the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Almost 95% get an A, B or C grade in higher level music while the pass rate at higher level is over 99%.

Advertisement