Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions about race where drafting not allowed.

Options
  • 04-07-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Can anyone explain to me how cycling in a race works when drafting is not allowed?

I am doing a sprint triathlon for the first time and am getting freaked out about having difficulty following the rules for staying out of the draft zone (7m x 3m) of others.

1) How do I know how to judge what 7 metres looks like?

2) If somebody overtakes me, I know that I am then responsible for getting out of their draft zone. What happens if somebody overtakes and then just slows down, so I slow down to drop back, but then the person behind me overtakes me and I have to slow down further etc? It seems like that could go on indefinitely!

Any other tips that you could give would be brilliant!

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Judging by all the whinging that goes on in the Triathlon forum I would think you will be fine if you just attempt to avoid the mini pelotons that will form up in the race.
    More seriously :
    9m is roughly 7 bike lengths
    and on the second point that is part of mass start racing unfortunately.

The Triathlon forum is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1527

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Monkey61 wrote: »
    Roughly 4 randomers lying head to toe.
    2) If somebody overtakes me, I know that I am then responsible for getting out of their draft zone. What happens if somebody overtakes and then just slows down, so I slow down to drop back, but then the person behind me overtakes me and I have to slow down further etc? It seems like that could go on indefinitely!
    Pull sidewards and overtake them if they have slowed that much (that you would be faster. If they have slowed only a tiny amount but will still pull away, move sidewards if safe, if not safe just let them pull away

This said, if its your first triathlon, are you a good swimmer? If not then I wouldn't worry about it being a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Monkey61 wrote: »
    Hello,

Can anyone explain to me how cycling in a race works when drafting is not allowed?

I am doing a sprint triathlon for the first time and am getting freaked out about having difficulty following the rules for staying out of the draft zone (7m x 3m) of others.

Any other tips that you could give would be brilliant!

Thanks,

You can move sideways out of a draft zone too as long as you don't block others overtaking you.

Very often will find that someone who steams up behind you, swings wide to overtake then runs out of power to maintain the maneuver especially into a headwind causing you to sit up and slow down to get out of their zone.

You'll find plenty of help in the triathlon forum on explanations of the ITU rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I've never found it to be a problem in any race I've ever done. If you're not very clearly drafting then I'd be surprised if you get a penalty. If you're worried just move out to the side a bit.

As mentioned above, unless you're at/near the business end of the race you won't really have to worry about it. There won't be a lot of people around you and the marshals won't be particularly worried about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've only done 2 so far, but I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you're at the very front of the race. Move out sideways if safe to do so, and back inside when you feel you're out of the zone. Just try to make an effort.

You've 15 seconds to enter the draft zone from behind to overtake, so it does happen that people push to get past and then die - it's not necessarily that they're trying to put you in trouble.

Main complaint I've seen post races, and even during races, is people complaining of drafting not being penalised!

• Advertisement
Advertisement