Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

move back to phonewatch offer

Options
  • 04-07-2016 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone,

We have recently moved from phonewatch to homesecure for our home alarm system needs.

Now phonewatch are trying to get us back with an offer of a free upgrade to a camera system and free monitoring while we continue to pay homesecure until our contract expires (it is a 3 year contract).

My question is what is in this for phonewatch? Are they simply hoping to retain customers after this 3 year period, or do they have some deal with homesecure?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What's in it for them is they will be tying you to their system for good. You will lose the ability to switch between providers. No one else can monitor, service or repair these systems.
    Plus you will have cameras inside your home connected to their monitoring station. That alone turns most people off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

exister78 wrote: »
    My question is what is in this for phonewatch?

Quite simply they want you to move away from your old system which anyone can take over and move you to a system that only they can maintain.

Is it worth it?
    No would be my honest answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Lets say you brought a new car 7 years ago, the main dealer at that time got up your noise so you went to the other dealer that was able to fuel, service and repair your car.

Now the original dealer has been back on and is offering you a new free car.

But what you don't realise is that, only they can fuel, service and repair it and they only, no one else.

They have a product with a closed protocol, it is manufactured specifically for them and is not at all available to any other installers.

Keep what you have, you will still have a choice going forward as to who services and monitors your alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

exister78 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We have recently moved from phonewatch to homesecure for our home alarm system needs.

Now phonewatch are trying to get us back with an offer of a free upgrade to a camera system and free monitoring while we continue to pay homesecure until our contract expires (it is a 3 year contract).

My question is what is in this for phonewatch? Are they simply hoping to retain customers after this 3 year period, or do they have some deal with homesecure?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

An offer like that coming from a company who sends reps around the doors offering to replace, I quote "that old faded dummy bell box on the front of your house". The word desperation comes to mind. You made the break and the good money would say stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mollybelle

I have had the same offer after switching to Homesecure,
    I asked about being tied into them after the four years

( I would have to sign a contract to stay with them for a year after the 3 years with homesecure ended) she said I would not have to stay with them if I didn't want to.

Then in conversation I mentioned that a neighbour had their new system and I was surprised they did not change
    ( I knew the answer already)

She said that Homesecure could not interfere with the new system, I then asked how I could then change to another company and she said
    " as sure that is 4 years away and they may have found a way to do it by then".

As I own the system I have now outright I would imagine that if they give us a free one it would probably remain their property and the only way to go to another company is to purchase a new system. Will keep the one I have thank you, no problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

mollybelle wrote: »
    I have had the same offer after switching to Homesecure,
    I asked about being tied into them after the four years

( I would have to sign a contract to stay with them for a year after the 3 years with homesecure ended) she said I would not have to stay with them if I didn't want to.

Then in conversation I mentioned that a neighbour had their new system and I was surprised they did not change
    ( I knew the answer already)

She said that Homesecure could not interfere with the new system, I then asked how I could then change to another company and she said
    " as sure that is 4 years away and they may have found a way to do it by then".

As I own the system I have now outright I would imagine that if they give us a free one it would probably remain their property and the only way to go to another company is to purchase a new system. Will keep the one I have thank you, no problems with it.

Its only if they install the new system that no one can take it over as its coded for P.W. by Honeywell.

If you keep your existing system and switch monitoring then you can change to any other service provider.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No matter what the price is with their new system you don't own it. It's a agreement.
    Either way the equipment is useless to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 phil0123

I accepted the Phonewatch offer. And now Homesecure are on looking for me to pay for my remaining contract + termination fee (700€) claiming I am in breach of contract. Phonewatch are aware of this conflict but certainly made no effort to make me aware of the issue having arisen with others that transferred over.
    Beware, if you are in contract with Homesecure, they will look for the remaining contract value in a lump sum + termination fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭judge30

Its kinda weird that while reading this a phonewatch advert lingers above the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

phil0123 wrote: »
    I accepted the Phonewatch offer. And now Homesecure are on looking for me to pay for my remaining contract + termination fee (700€) claiming I am in breach of contract. Phonewatch are aware of this conflict but certainly made no effort to make me aware of the issue having arisen with others that transferred over.
    Beware, if you are in contract with Homesecure, they will look for the remaining contract value in a lump sum + termination fee.

How long is it since you signed up for the Phonewatch deal. Don't forget your "cooling off" period where you decide if the contract is right for you. It appears that undue pressure was applied to you to sign and material facts were witheld from you that would affect your ability to sign in the first place.

A chat with the relevant consumer rights bureau may well be in order here.

This form of hard selling is rampant in the country at the moment. The "free lunch" always comes with strings attached after you've eaten it. A raft of young, enthusiastic and in a lot of cases, unemployed men and women are being lured into this form of employment with the promise of large commissions on each sale but the basic wage stinks. Can you blame them from omitting to reveal material facts.

If the product was any good in the first place they wouldn't have to resort to these type of tactics. Shame on Phonewatch for overseeing some very questionable selling methods.

• Advertisement

Most companies offer monitoring on a monthly or annual payment without any long contracts.
    Don't be fooled by the low starting price Buy your alarm upfront and you will have the bargaining power to shop around. It will save you in the long run.

Now you will be stuck with Phonewatch unless they really annoy you, then you will have to pay for a complete new alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Are phone watch trying to connect the homesecure system into their monitoring station or are they going to install a new seperate system ?

If they are going to connect the existing alarm into their station while you are in contract with Homesecure then it's very possible that you are in breach of contract. Please read the terms and conditions of phone watch.

Remember people, where Homesecure came from!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 phil0123

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Are phone watch trying to connect the homesecure system into their monitoring station or are they going to install a new seperate system ?

If they are going to connect the existing alarm into their station while you are in contract with Homesecure then it's very possible that you are in breach of contract. Please read the terms and conditions of phone watch.

They installed a new system. All original equipment has been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

So phone watch came out and removed the system that was in contract with homesecure ?

How does it feel now that total strangers can see inside your home?

Advertisement