Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should I go? Living Abroad for a year

Options
  • 04-07-2016 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Edit: the name of the thread saved before I got to finish it!

I would love to move away for a year but with so many great places out there I can't decide where to go. I'd like somewhere vibrant with warm people. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

I'd like somewhere vibrant with warm people. Any thoughts?

Have you anymore criteria? It might help suggestions if you provide a little more info. Do you plan to work? Cold/warm climate a preference etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

lc180 wrote: »
    I'd like somewhere vibrant with warm people. Any thoughts?

Have you anymore criteria? It might help suggestions if you provide a little more info. Do you plan to work? Cold/warm climate a preference etc.

Yes I'd be working, I'm a social care worker so would be doing that over there hopefully. Climate wise I don't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

Yes I'd be working, I'm a social care worker so would be doing that over there hopefully. Climate wise I don't mind!

I don't want to be a buzz kill but if you plan on working outside of the EU then your options are reduced big time. Look up working holiday visa's on the department of foreign affairs website (dfa.ie) for a list of countries Ireland has visa agreements with.

There is some great options there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

lc180 wrote: »
    I don't want to be a buzz kill but if you plan on working outside of the EU then your options are reduced big time. Look up working holiday visa's on the department of foreign affairs website (dfa.ie) for a list of countries Ireland has visa agreements with.

There is some great options there though.

Great advice, thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If it was my pick, I'd go with Hawaii but it can be pretty expensive to live there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Not New Zealand. It'll be summer in late November and you will get sunburnt in minutes, live in a sweat box and pay a fortune for the pleasure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I have lived in the uk Canada and oz. I would recommend none of them. id love to live in Argentina. Ozzies are arrogant dicks and the Canadians are pricks to work for. they are ok outside of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I have lived in the uk Canada and oz. I would recommend none of them. id love to live in Argentina. Ozzies are arrogant dicks and the Canadians are pricks to work for. they are ok outside of work.

Speaking as someone currently living and working in Australia, it's a good job there's a lot of people from countries other than Australia here.

Also, not all Australians are arrogant dicks, and as a country it's a fantastic place to live. I'd highly recommend it, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

I recently spent time in Munich. Lovely place. Very warm, still rains quite often enough to make Irish people feel comfortable. Very dog friendly, you can bring your dogs into restaurants and such so long as they're well behaved.

The only barrier would be that you should speak German. It's possible to get around without it, but it's recommended that you speak it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I'll second all of this.

If i had the time again, id do a post grad in marine biology here

http://uvi.edu/academics/science-math/departments/bio-sciences/marine-biology/default.aspx

Advertisement