Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avocado trees - Asda

Options
  • 04-07-2016 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Asda are selling avocado trees at the moment (£6)

About a foot tall. They're selling some other "exotic" fruit trees too.

I've seen avocado trees growing in Italy and they are HUGE (big spikes on the trunks too!)

Any point in buying on of these for the greenhouse do you's think? Or just waste of time?

I remember growing them from seeds/stones as a kid - and I certainly never managed to get them anywhere near this size. But then I thought of seeing the trees growing in Italy and just thought was it was a hiding to nothing?

Anyone ever grown an Avocado and had any luck with it producing anything?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I grew an avocado from seed a couple of years ago on a sunny kitchen windowsill!
    It was around a foot high when it had a nasty accident and flung itself irreparably onto the floor, so def worth a go in a greenhouse for an established plant.
    Not sure about whether you'd get fruit though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I planted 2 in my polytunnel after finding them germinated in my compost bin maybe 3 years ago. They are both 4 foot tall now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

A lot of avos are not self-pollinating, so to be sure of getting fruit you'd need a second tree.

Also, given the size of them, you'd need to either prune them severely or get a huge greenhouse..

Advertisement