Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish credit cards for travellers

• 04-07-2016 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi there. I've tried googling this a few times but haven't found much. Are there any Irish credit cards that offer miles with airlines?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

No.

However, Tesco Bank, KBC and AIB via the Platinum Card all offer rewards.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

You can earn airmiles with American Express but you need to be spending big to earn anything meaningful and justify the annual fee(rewards are getting slightly poorer but fee is getting larger). You'll also need a backup credit card as some places don't take them. If you have big spending then get a platinum(€500 annual fee) and if you play your cards right then you can earn your fee back in multiples

http://www.americanexpress.com/campaigns/icc/iec/ireland/green.html

Another option is boi's corporate card which gives aer lingus lounge access, however fee is hefty

http://businessbanking.bankofireland.com/payments-and-cards/cards/gold-business-credit-card/

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Thank you both for the reply. They're quite steep fees and I don't think I could financially justify them.

Curiously, does anyone know why Ireland lags behind other countries re: credit cards offering miles, etc? Is it because less Irish people use credit cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Small market. These freebies cost money to provide..simply isn't worthwhile really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why with the Single payments area can Air France or Lufthansa not offer their airmile cards in Ireland and connect them to an Irish bank account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why with the Single payments area can Air France or Lufthansa not offer their airmile cards in Ireland and connect them to an Irish bank account?

Air France or Lufthansa don't "offer" the cards, banks do. And they pay handsomely for it. The incentive for foreign banks to enter a small market with a niche product simply isn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

What I would like to see happen is for me to be able to apply for a card in a larger market that does offer those services. For example apply for a British Airways card in the UK (or Spain if Brexit happens!)

After all, its supposed to be a single market!

Advertisement