Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council to ban cars from O'Briens & Salmon Weir bridge, and 7 streets

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

J o e wrote: »
    ??

My point was that cyclists aren't unaffected by congested traffic like you were suggesting.

Less affected than motorists. Much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

FortySeven wrote: »
    The one thing I do know. This thread is not representative of Galway commuters. When 95% of people want to use their cars, the council might want to start listening to them and not minority interest groups. We may just get ourselves a new council. One that represents the large majority.
    There you go with the "want" again

How and ever, I wish you the very best of luck electing a new galway city council with your galway county council vote

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I live just outside headford. I work in galway. For 10 years I lived on the Westside, Merlin park and doughiska. I cycled, used the appalling public transport and I now drive. Driving is the dogs danglies. I would like a bypass. My opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

You say we should protect those terraced monstrosities mostly used as student and hotel worker houseshares because heritage. I say we flatten the eyesores to allow free movement of traffic.

New York would be a collection of wooden shacks had everyone acted the way you are.
    Not sure which part of that sentence is the most bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You say we should protect those terraced monstrosities mostly used as student and hotel worker houseshares because heritage. I say we flatten the eyesores to allow free movement of traffic.

And where should the people who live in those houses move to? You do realise that the university and hospitality are major industries in the city, don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Off-topic but more people need to know about car hire excess insurance. €3/day or €50/year.

Yes, thanks. I got a quote through them before I got put off when communicating with them. It didn't seem legit. Was pointed to them by somebody else on Boards...anybody on here ever have a claim with them?

• Advertisement

And where should the people who live in those houses move to? You do realise that the university and hospitality are major industries in the city, don't you.

Where do any people go when construction projects compulsory purchase homes? Somewhere else.

I'm aware of the universties and hospitality. I'm also aware of the transient nature and short term leases of those individuals.

Not sure which part of that sentence is the most bizarre.

Try reading it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I live just outside headford. I work in galway. For 10 years I lived on the Westside, Merlin park and doughiska. I cycled, used the appalling public transport and I now drive. Driving is the dogs danglies. I would like a bypass. My opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

New York would be a collection of wooden shacks had everyone acted the way you are.

America may not be the best example to follow. They don't preserve anything...speaking as somebody over there.

I wouldn't knock them or necessarily protect them but those crapholes in Bohermore and Woodquay should be forced to be brought to a livable standard if being rented out. Have been in quite a few of the places in Woodquay, living there would take 10 years off your life with the awful dampness. They are all privately owned, I'd be surprised if the council could afford that real estate.

Headford is not very well connected. When I lived out there I think the only bus other than Burkes was the Bus E to and from Ballina or Cong and they ran in the morning and evening. Hardly any options. Driving at least part of the way would be the only realistic option, alright..BUT I'd still agree with others that the focus should be on reducing the number of cars in the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Try reading it again.

Trust me when i say ive read it three times and im still laughing.

Trust me when i say ive read it three times and im still laughing.

Glad to have enabled your mirth on such an awfully damp Sunday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Google and Facebook are two companies

Not to be sniffed at. Imagine they located in Galway instead of Dublin? What a score that would have been.

Anyway, the car lobbying is useless when it comes to cities. They're all going to become people friendly and car unfriendly. Companies and businesses will be getting more tax breaks for public transport and cycle initiatives. This will encourage more to set up in cities.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Anyway, the car lobbying is useless when it comes to cities. They're all going to become people friendly and car unfriendly. Companies and businesses will be getting more tax breaks for public transport and cycle initiatives. This will encourage more to set up in cities.

That sounds very matter of fact and specific when it's really you sticking your finger in the air and coming up with 26.5

That sounds very matter of fact and specific when it's really you sticking your finger in the air and coming up with 26.5

It's already started J.pilkington. You can stick you're finger in the air or you can read it and weep.

Why we developed the GTS?
    Galway has a transport problem, due to its reliance on the private car, which has been influenced by the existing public transport network, limited cycling facilities, a large rural hinterland and being the key gateway in and out of Connemara..
    Combined with this, it has a road and street network which is ill-suited to the high traffic flows currently prevalent are contributing to increased congestion and delay, affecting quality of life and impacting on the functionality of the City.
    To address this, a fundamental shift is needed towards sustainable travel, reducing the dependency on the private car and taking action to make Galway more accessible and connected, enhancing quality of life within the City for all. We have an opportunity to work together to make Galway an exemplar of Smarter Travel in Ireland.
    To address these problems, Galway City Council's strategic objectives for transport are:
    · to promote and encourage sustainable transport
    · to manage the traffic in a way which maximises mobility and safe movement
    · to maintain and develop/upgrade Infrastructure
    Attached is the full GTS, which provides an overall view of the measures to be introduced and the technical documents supporting them.

Over the next few months Galway City Council will be commencing the introduction of the measures contained in the GTS.

It's already started J.pilkington. You can stick you're finger in the air or you can read it and weep.

Why we developed the GTS?
    Galway has a transport problem, due to its reliance on the private car, which has been influenced by the existing public transport network, limited cycling facilities, a large rural hinterland and being the key gateway in and out of Connemara..
    Combined with this, it has a road and street network which is ill-suited to the high traffic flows currently prevalent are contributing to increased congestion and delay, affecting quality of life and impacting on the functionality of the City.
    To address this, a fundamental shift is needed towards sustainable travel, reducing the dependency on the private car and taking action to make Galway more accessible and connected, enhancing quality of life within the City for all. We have an opportunity to work together to make Galway an exemplar of Smarter Travel in Ireland.
    To address these problems, Galway City Council's strategic objectives for transport are:
    Attached is the full GTS, which provides an overall view of the measures to be introduced and the technical documents supporting them.

Over the next few months Galway City Council will be commencing the introduction of the measures contained in the GTS.

No. They won't. Votes count for more than ideology. Everyone on the council knows this is a career resignation.

No. They won't. Votes count for more than ideology. Everyone on the council knows this is a career resignation.

How are you going to vote against it?

How are you going to vote against it?

I'm not. I'm heading back to Dundee where they built a bypass in 1950. The rest of Galway will vote.
    Galway doesn't want cycling or buses. I'll bet my life on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Cyclists can cycle through traffic. Buses have bus lanes. Traffic affects drivers so drivers should have the most say. As they will.

This is like saying obese people should have more say on health policy because they have more health issues.

This is like saying obese people should have more say on health policy because they have more health issues.

Yes , it is. If you're a retard.

Not to be sniffed at. Imagine they located in Galway instead of Dublin? What a score that would have been.

There is no space in cities for big companies. They need large facilities with space for 1000's of people and massive amounts of equipment, particularly as its medical device and pharma companies that are the big employers in cities like Cork and Galway. Places like Boston scientific are too close to the Galway city centre. In cork for example most of the big plants are well outside the city and new facilities are being opened in these locations also well outside the city in locations ideal for driving to which next to no public transport.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Infraction given to FortySeven, don't abuse your fellow posters, such language will not be tolerated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Places like Boston scientific are too close to the Galway city centre. In cork for example most of the big plants are well outside the city and new facilities are being opened in these locations also well outside the city in locations ideal for driving to which next to no public transport.

When the HP factory just across the road from Boston was opened, it was well outside the city - there are photos which show the green fields for miles around. And one of the features which was started, I think quite close to the opening, was a daily bus from the city - which still runs today.

If you build an employment hub outside the city, housing will tend to develop between there and the city as people want to cut their commute time and to be able to walk to work.

This is even more of a factor today when planning rules mean that companies are not allowed to have one car park per employee: to function, the company needs to have a certain proportion of it's workforce using less damaging forms of transport to get to work.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Sorry pal, you stated:
    "Companies and businesses will be getting more tax breaks for public transport and cycle initiatives"

A. Where does it mention anything about tax breaks in the GTS

B. Tax breaks are set by the government not councils

As I said you read an article and somehow went into solution mode and managed to come up with 26.5 and presented this as a fact

Yes , it is. If you're a retard.
    Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

For the people that are against this plan, what alternatives do you think they should bring in? Are you happy with the traffic situation in Galway as it is?

If you think more roads are the answer, can you comment on cgcsb's comment from back on page 2?
    cgcsb wrote: »
    Not sure what studies you refer to. I'm an engineer with a transport background. There are plenty of studies showing new build road capacity causing congestion.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/11/californias-dot-admits-that-more-roads-mean-more-traffic/415245/

Sorry pal, you stated:
    "Companies and businesses will be getting more tax breaks for public transport and cycle initiatives"

The TaxSaver Commuter Ticket Scheme was established in Ireland in 2000 as an incentive for workers in some parts of the country to use public transport.

The Cycle to Work Scheme is a tax incentive scheme which aims to encourage employees to cycle to and from work. Under the scheme employers can pay for bicycles and bicycle equipment for their employees and the employee pays back through a salary sacrifice arrangement of up to 12 months. The employee is not liable for tax, PRSI or the Universal Social Charge on their repayments.

Both hugely successful. My reckoning that they won't be scrapped, only improved.

Pal ;)

The TaxSaver Commuter Ticket Scheme was established in Ireland in 2000 as an incentive for workers in some parts of the country to use public transport.

The Cycle to Work Scheme is a tax incentive scheme which aims to encourage employees to cycle to and from work. Under the scheme employers can pay for bicycles and bicycle equipment for their employees and the employee pays back through a salary sacrifice arrangement of up to 12 months. The employee is not liable for tax, PRSI or the Universal Social Charge on their repayments.

Both hugely successful. My reckoning that they won't be scrapped, only improved.

Pal ;)

I know 7 people who availed of this scheme. 3 used it to buy lawnmowers, the other 4 don't cycle to work.

I know 7 people who availed of this scheme. 3 used it to buy lawnmowers, the other 4 don't cycle to work.

Have to agree on the cycle to work, the majority of people I know who bought bikes on it bought road bikes for weekend cycling etc particularly people who are living miles from where they work and could never cycle there even if they wanted.

Yeah, but you guys live rural don’t you? I live urban, different scene and attitude altogether, thousands availing of the cycle to work scheme honestly and using the bikes to commute. Cleaner lifestyle and good for the environment.

Have to agree on the cycle to work, the majority of people I know who bought bikes on it bought road bikes for weekend cycling etc particularly people who are living miles from where they work and could never cycle there even if they wanted.
    And myself, my wife, my sister and my brother in law all bought bikes on the bike to work scheme and we all use them to cycle to work.

You know people and I know people, who gives a ****.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you guys live rural don’t you? I live urban, different scene and attitude altogether, thousands availing of the cycle to work scheme honestly and using the bikes to commute. Cleaner lifestyle and good for the environment.

Surprised I haven't seen these thousands of cyclists around Galway?

Cycle to work is a great scheme. Absolutely rubbish at getting people to cycle to work though .Cheap recreational bikes and cheap lawnmowers for all.

Advertisement