Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council to ban cars from O'Briens & Salmon Weir bridge, and 7 streets

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I think you are partially correct. Given the apparent absence of an effective national police service** - then a likely outcome of reducing congestion will be a large increase in speeding by motorists.

This would result in increased danger for pedestrians and others. One obvious solution would be to give the local authority police powers for traffic management.

Another solution would be to set up some kind of national police force along the lines of the French Gendarmerie or the Danish Politi.

** I don't believe the Garda Siochana meet the criteria and they are part of the traffic/road safety problem rather than part of the solution.

If I am driving on the pavement then I take full responsibility for my actions. If a pedestrian is walking on my road it is still my fault. Now you want to instigate a national police squad to enforce your utopia. Anything else we can throw tax money at? A drain perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

How can you be happy stuck using a bus, walking to a bus stop in the rain, waiting at a bus stop, sitting beside other people, stuck to the bus time table, stuck to bus routes, having to carry your stuff around thus possibly injuring yourself etc etc.

I just saw this! :pac:

Sitting beside people, other human beings! Carrying your stuff around, in your hands or... in a bag, the horror! Possible injuries! NOBODY ever gets injured in cars!

Classic! Thanks again Nox, you've delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

In relation to the elderly person travelling from Newcastle to the Cathedral, Galway could do what Holland does, and allow tiny (Dutch-made in Holland; we could make them here too) one-person cars limited to 30km/h to use the cycle lanes. I can't post links, but if you google "The world’s smallest car? Meet the “Canta”" you should come up with pictures and text about these little cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »
    What about businesses on those streets that are bus-only?..

The proposal says deliveries during limited hours only.

But it is this problem which actually makes the whole bus and taxi only idea a non-starter.

No private car access would put all the Bnb on College Rd out of business. The council building itself would become inaccessible to some people. Etc

Possibly it would be bus and taxi only over the Salmon Weir bridge at all times enforced with bus bollards.

Bus taxi and deliveries in the morning (open barriers) like on shop street on the redesignated roads (Eglinton St) and bus taxi only later (with bus bollards)

Local access on the other roads because there would be no through way possible anyways - no additional enforcement required

• Advertisement

Part of the reason some cyclists behave like pea-ricks is, counter-intuitively, because cycling in cities is a little dangerous at the moment, because cyclists and cars are so mixed-in.

This means that a higher proportion than normal of cyclists are young lads, filled to the brim with testosterone and self-regard, whose attitude to others is "Get out of my way".

If there were safe, protected cycle paths and parents were confident enough that they were safe to allow their children to cycle on them, and families and old people formed a normal part of the cycling crowd, it would put a damper on the little darlings who currently imagine they're in the Tour de France when they're cycling on a suburban street.

No one has posted a link to those Dutch cars for the disabled and very elderly which are allowed to pootle along in cycle lanes, by the way, so here's one - broken up, because I've a new account here and can't post URLs, sorry - just glue it together to look at the piece. (You actually see very few of these in cycle lanes, people don't abuse the right to use them in the Netherlands; people cycle unless they are practically paralysed.)

http:// www. amsterdamlogue .com/the-worlds-smallest-car.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I fully accept the sentiment. Unfortunately in this forum there is an established culture of people from the county coming on to sneer at people who would like to improve the city for its inhabitants.

Then why do you seem so opposed to the bypass, which would allow 'county people' not to have to go through the city to get from west to east of the Corrib, or vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Zzippy wrote: »
    What about businesses on those streets that are bus-only? For example Inland Fisheries and the salmon weir fishery - they have loads of staff in and out every day for meetings, plus visiting anglers for 8 months of the year. Other businesses and uni departments too around Fisheries Field or along University Road that would have no vehicular access...

Why can't these people walk to the meetings from the nearest car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

When you've heavy equipment to carry, it sometimes isin't an option. That said, ill be looking into getting a trolley thingy if it goes ahead, should sort me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

JohnCleary wrote: »
    When you've heavy equipment to carry, it sometimes isin't an option. That said, ill be looking into getting a trolley thingy if it goes ahead, should sort me out.

Completely empathise if you have heavy stuff. Good thinking with the trolley.

For able-bodied people with no more than a backpacks worth of stuff, I don't see why they can't walk 5-10mins from a car park.

• Advertisement

Around and about the new criminal courts in Dublin you'll see barristers wheeling along kind of barristorial granny-bags with vast reams of files in them - the courthouse was built without enough parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The staff are often coming in to pick up or drop off equipment, and anglers fishing the weir have a fair bit of equipment too. If all the businesses on affected streets, including B&Bs on College Rd, lost their parking and vehicular access the nearest car parks would be full in no time. Wait, maybe that's the council's plan... ;)

B&B’s closing down, anglers unable to walk with their equipment, staff having to walk a few metres. The hysteria!! Most likely from people that don’t live in the city! Unbelievable how car dependent some people have gotten. They’re like massive wheelchairs.

- City people are used to walking. Don’t worry about them.

- Anglers are outdoor types and won’t have a problem walking with their gear. The sometimes walk miles to get to a good spot.

- Tourists don’t want to drive in cities, they want to walk around and experience the city. They won’t have a problem walking to a B&B.

In Galway yesterday I was astonished at how few cyclists there were compared with Dublin, and at the full Galway Bikes racks.
    (By the way, these Galway Bikes seem to be interoperable with Cork and Limerick, but not with Dublin - is that correct? I have a Dublin Bikes card - that won't work in Galway?)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

John_Rambo wrote: »
    - Tourists don’t want to drive in cities, they want to walk around and experience the city. They won’t have a problem walking to a B&B.

I do live in the city - right in the middle. I've spent a lot of time here as a tourist. And I do a lot to promote the use of public transport here.

When I'm car-free, I'd be staying in a hostel or hotel in the centre. When I have a rental car, I stay in a city-fringe BnB.

And the BnB's in College Rd have large numbers of guests who arrive by private car. It's obvious from their car-parks on busy weekends.

I do live in the city - right in the middle. I've spent a lot of time here as a tourist. And I do a lot to promote the use of public transport here.

When I'm car-free, I'd be staying in a hostel or hotel in the centre. When I have a rental car, I stay in a city-fringe BnB.

And the BnB's in College Rd have large numbers of guests who arrive by private car. It's obvious from their car-parks on busy weekends.

A walk won't kill them. It's not a big issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Chuchote wrote: »
    In Galway yesterday I was astonished at how few cyclists there were compared with Dublin, and at the full Galway Bikes racks.
    (By the way, these Galway Bikes seem to be interoperable with Cork and Limerick, but not with Dublin - is that correct? I have a Dublin Bikes card - that won't work in Galway?)

I invite you to count the amount of public bike parking spaces in the city centre and then compare with places with higher cycling levels.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Then why do you seem so opposed to the bypass, which would allow 'county people' not to have to go through the city to get from west to east of the Corrib, or vice versa?

You want to spend hundreds of millions on a road that is not needed at a time when people can't even find a place to park their bikes and then you wonder why people might be opposed?

I invite you to count the amount of public bike parking spaces in the city centre and then compare with places with higher cycling levels.

Oh, God — you should see the awfulness of bike parking in Dublin! The few racks festooned with bikes, the road signs too, and around Grafton Street you can have a 10-minute search before finding a place to tie the bike. It's improving as cycling grows, though.

Oh, God — you should see the awfulness of bike parking in Dublin! The few racks festooned with bikes, the road signs too, and around Grafton Street you can have a 10-minute search before finding a place to tie the bike. It's improving as cycling grows, though.

Dublin is a paradise compared to Galway. The Galway university campus is within 2km of Eyre Square, the GMIT campus is within 4km of Eyre Square. Between them probably circa 22,000 3rd level students - based on a quick google. Rough guess there are not more than 200 municipal bike spaces in the city centre and some bike parking was removed for the Coke zero bike stands.

So not enough bike parking for less than 1% of the student population - before we even get to the other people who live in the city.

• Advertisement

Dublin is a paradise compared to Galway. The Galway university campus is within 2km of Eyre Square, the GMIT campus is within 4km of Eyre Square. Between them probably circa 22,000 3rd level students - based on a quick google. Rough guess there are not more than 200 municipal bike spaces in the city centre and some bike parking was removed for the Coke zero bike stands.

So not enough bike parking for less than 1% of the student population - before we even get to the other people who live in the city.

That's mad! Has the students' union sent representatives to the City Council meetings to gently request more bike parking and show examples of what there is in other cities?

Cycling is not popular in Galway because it is almost constantly raining in Galway. I have never once struggled to find somewhere to lock my bike in Galway. This argument is rubbish.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Cycling is not popular in Galway because it is almost constantly raining in Galway. I have never once struggled to find somewhere to lock my bike in Galway. This argument is rubbish.

Amsterdam average precipitation per month:

https:// www .yr.no/place/Netherlands/North_Holland/Amsterdam/statistics.html

Galway average precipitation per month:

https:// www. yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Galway/statistics.html

Sorry about the gaps, can't post links or pictures; maybe someone else will post the two average-precipitation charts.

Also: Galway people — they are made of sugar, yah?

Amsterdam average precipitation per month:

https:// www .yr.no/place/Netherlands/North_Holland/Amsterdam/statistics.html

Galway average precipitation per month:

https:// www. yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Galway/statistics.html

Sorry about the gaps, can't post links or pictures; maybe someone else will post the two average-precipitation charts.

Also: Galway people — they are made of sugar, yah?

Monthly precipitation measures mm of rainfall, not time spent raining. It could be raining lightly every day in Galway and a 1 hour downpour puts more water in the test tube in Amsterdam.

Turning up to work wet is not fun. Trying to keep work related items dry on your back is not fun.

I'm far from made of sugar but I'm also no masochist. I love cycling and I agree that Galway could make this leisure pursuit more achievable but as a mode of commuting transport?

Get real. It's a hobbyist pursuit. I can't get to work on a bike, I don't want to go to work on a bike. I still have nightmares of windy days trying to get to school on a bike.

Dunno… I like cycling in the rain, it's a matter of having good wet gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah come on, culchies are welded to their cars. LOL.

It is that simple.

Those who advocate car free cities are city people who KNOW the benefits of this.

It's happening in Dublin big time. And not much outcry. Because it just has to happen. Everywhere is choked with cars and only one person in them.

Dunno… I like cycling in the rain, it's a matter of having good wet gear.

You either like cycling in the rain or you do not. Wearing wet gear negates your point.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and deduce that most people do not.

I like driving in the rain. I stay dry. The fact that I never see a motorbike on my commute speaks volumes. Not to be said for dryer climates.

Ah come on, culchies are welded to their cars. LOL.

It is that simple.

Those who advocate car free cities are city people who KNOW the benefits of this.

It's happening in Dublin big time. And not much outcry. Because it just has to happen. Everywhere is choked with cars and only one person in them.

So my opinion doesn't count because I moved out of the city? Does it count if I've lived in many cities in many countries or just if I lived in Dublin? I mean, what could I possibly know about cycling and public transport? Me, who got his first driving licence at 34.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Monthly precipitation measures mm of rainfall, not time spent raining. It could be raining lightly every day in Galway and a 1 hour downpour puts more water in the test tube in Amsterdam.

Turning up to work wet is not fun. Trying to keep work related items dry on your back is not fun.

I'm far from made of sugar but I'm also no masochist. I love cycling and I agree that Galway could make this leisure pursuit more achievable but as a mode of commuting transport?

Get real. It's a hobbyist pursuit. I can't get to work on a bike, I don't want to go to work on a bike. I still have nightmares of windy days trying to get to school on a bike.

I commute pretty much every day, roughly 10km each way. Shower at work and when i get home, so rain isn't that much of a factor. Not the only person at my workplace who does and also not travelling the furtherest either.

I do find it amusing that some people are willing to pay gym memberships to keep fit but give out about being stuck in traffic on the way to and back from the gym.

• Advertisement

You either like cycling in the rain or you do not. Wearing wet gear negates your point.

Umm, scarcely. I like cycling in the rain; I don't like my clothes and hair getting soaked, so I dress properly for the rain.

I like swimming in the sun; I don't like getting skin cancer, so I cover up or wear sunscreen.

I like walking in the fog; I don't like having my glasses fog up, so I wear contact lenses.

I like visiting foreign countries; I don't like not being able to understand the languages around me, so I learn the basic 2,000 words and most-used phrases before going.

I like looking at pictures and sculptures and listening to music; I don't like doing so from a monocultural point of view, so I learn about the time and place of the painters and sculptors and composers.

I like to be fit. I like to get across the city fast. I like the soft feeling of misty rain on my face.

Advertisement