Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I bought an iPhone on Adverts

• 04-07-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

The phone was sold as brand new. But there is something dodgy about it. It came shrink wrapped in the normal box with mostly all the normal stuff. All looked good.

While the phone seems perfect. The Apple warranty is up in November. I think the headphones and plug are counterfeit. Maybe even the whole box.
    It is from china. Leaflets are in Chinese. No Apple stickers.

I think maybe the phone is a refurb of some sort. But a lot has gone into selling it on. Maybe for a higher price etc.

Has anyone heard of these? Or help me out with more info before I go back the seller. Anything else I should be looking for in terms of the phone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

You're not happy,trust yourself.
    Return it, if you can. Presumably that'll be a big if.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Is it a dodgy copy you bought? Have you tried registering it with Apple etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If the seller went to considerable lengths to disguise a refurbished phone then returning it might not be that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

It Registered with Apple fine. Bought it this weekend. There is An Apple Warranty till the end of November. (But seller was vague about not geting the full year out of it)
    The phone itself seems to check out. I checked the serial code with online checkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

How much did you pay for it? Did you not check the warranty before buying it?

• Advertisement

€320. 16 GB 5S.
    Well I checked when I was with him. The phone was not activated at that time. Only when I activated it did the warranty come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Sync it with iTunes to see if it's recognised as an iPhone.

IMEI/Serial printed on a counterfeit device could be that of another real iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

€320. 16 GB 5S.
    Well I checked when I was with him. The phone was not activated at that time. Only when I activated it did the warranty come up.

You could of gotten a 32g (refurb) on adverts for €290. I'm actually looking to buy one myself.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Sync it with iTunes to see if it's recognised as an iPhone.

IMEI/Serial printed on a counterfeit device could be that of another real iPhone.
    Phone works perfectly. Serial number on the phone is the same that is printed on the box. I'm just worried the phone is full of **** Chinese parts.

I could be just Paranoid. But looking at the plug and headphones. Even going as far to weigh them and compare them to my iPhone 6 ones.. I believe they are counterfeit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Phone works perfectly. Serial number on the phone is the same that is printed on the box. I'm just worried the phone is full of **** Chinese parts.

I could be just Paranoid. But looking at the plug and headphones. Even going as far to weigh them and compare them to my iPhone 6 ones.. I believe they are counterfeit.

If you shine a light into the USB port on the wall adapter, you should see a serial number, if it's authentic.

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    If you shine a light into the USB port on the wall adapter, you should see a serial number, if it's authentic.

Yeh It has a serial number. But the USB is the other way around. It weighs 10 grams lighter than the 2 I have and where they are opaque the new one the light can be seen.

Same with the headphones. They weigh less and light shines through them.

I reckon I will be giving him a ring over the next few days. Missus love the feckin phone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

EarPods will have a serial number at the jack end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You should look at some real and fake comparison videos on Youtube, will help you determine if your phone is fake or not.

What to look out for on EarPods.

IMG_0690.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I seen that before in Adverts, there were a couple of sellers before Christmas selling them as brand new in box, not activated etc, but when asked the questions like how much warranty left or if it was an insurance replacements, etc the seller just kept replying saying they could not check how much left on it as they will need to activate it but that Iphone was genuine Iphone, not fake, etc so they didn't lie about it but didn't answer the question.

I know someone who purchased a phone online from a website with an address in Dublin city center (also after investigation they also sell similar phones in Adverts), the phone received was like above new in box with all parts and everything checked on apple website, but when activated the date of warranty was a few months later, when called seller said yes they will give a refund to drop into the shop, when we went to the address in the website (it was a wholeseller for all Chinese shops), seller tried to say that he could not give refund as phone was activated so he could not sell as new. after a bit of talking he was given a refund, the sellers argument was that phone was described new, etc but our argument was that if it was new it should have 12 months left warranty not just a few, he told us that the phones were replacements from Insurance. My worry about those phones would be that they would get lock after a few months.

Yeh that sounds exactly it. Probably the same place\guy to.

Turns out she has dropped the phone and damaged the edges.
    I wonder where I stand now.

Could a Mod move this to consumer issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yeh that sounds exactly it. Probably the same place\guy to.

Turns out she has dropped the phone and damaged the edges.
    I wonder where I stand now.

Could a Mod move this to consumer issues?

Don't think you have a leg to stand on, especially now after she has physically damaged the unit...

Even so, I can't imagine the seller being too forthcoming...

Could it be an official Chinese device possibly?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Don't think you have a leg to stand on, especially now after she has physically damaged the unit...

Even so, I can't imagine the seller being too forthcoming...

Could it be an official Chinese device possibly?

The phone could be. The contents of the box and probably the box and printed material are counterfeit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Read a newspaper article about this last week, they are refurbished phones, seller goes to great lengths to repackage them and heat seal the wrapping. Selling them as new gives a better return.

Yeh that's exactly it. I even found a video on you tube about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-JR0CP_8K2k&feature=youtu.be

The foundation stone of Adverts is Feedback. Go by that and you'll be fine.

naasrd wrote: »

It's was a premium seller. 100% feedback. 92 reviews. I was the first negative feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

It's was a premium seller. 100% feedback. 92 reviews. I was the first negative feedback.
    That's it in a nutshell so.

Advertisement