Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cod with Tomato and Thyme bland

Options
  • 04-07-2016 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So just gave a cod dish a go tonight, but quiet bland...

Heat oil in pan, fry off onion,garlic and thyme, add in tinned tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes medium heat, add olives and cod...

Just meh

anyone got any help, or a one pan cod dish?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Heat oil in pan, fry off onion,garlic and thyme, add in tinned tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes medium heat, add olives and cod...

Just meh

That dish has potential . I do a couple of similar recipes but they need a bit more umph.

I would season it well ( a pinch of salt and plenty of pepper). I would also add some fried chorizo or a pinch of paprika.

I also think that dish based on a can of tomatoes need more than 10 minutes to develop flavour. Use passata if you are short on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭tphase

more garlic!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

huskerdu wrote: »
    That dish has potential . I do a couple of similar recipes but they need a bit more umph.

I would season it well ( a pinch of salt and plenty of pepper). I would also add some fried chorizo or a pinch of paprika.

I also think that dish based on a can of tomatoes need more than 10 minutes to develop flavour. Use passata if you are short on time.

Trying to avoid cured meat, already have a bit in my diet

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

When I'm making sauce with tinned tomatoes I add loads of herbs (I know you have thyme but how about some basil and/or oregano), a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for acidity and a little pinch of sugar for sweetness, plus loads of salt and pepper. Some chilli might also work well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Yep, as already said here your problem is seasoning.

Plenty of sea salt, fresh ground pepper, a good pinch of sugar and a dash of nice vinegar - maybe even a splash of Worcestershire sauce if you have it. A squeeze of puree too if you have some. Should brighten that sauce right up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

huskerdu wrote: »

+1 on this. I used to find that using tinned tomatoes, my dishes could be quite bland but once you let the sauce simmer for longer it develops more flavour, that and like others have said, plenty of seasoning.

E.g. if I'm making bolognese, once I have the mince browned and vegs fried off, I'd add a tin of tomatoes with some tomato puree and let it simmer for about 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

season the fish well and add a good splash of white wine as white wine is an excellent flavour enhancer for tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

that's interesting about the white wine enhancing the tomato flavour - I always use red wine when doing a bolognese, but I must try out the white wine next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just meh

In addition to what others have said above, I would also add rosemary. It goes surprisingly well with cod.

Advertisement