Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Reboot and select proper device"

Options
  • 04-07-2016 8:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have a Windows 10 PC that's giving a boot error. It was originally Win 7, but 10 installed itself. Was getting boot errors pretty regularly "reboot and select proper device". I went back to the drawing board and did a clean install of 10. That seemed to work for a while. Now the boot error is happening again Crystal Disk Info suggested the drive's health was good, not that it might be accurate.

This evening, I had the boot error again. Couldn't get into safe mode, in the boot sequence the SSD wasn't visible.

I removed the SSD. I've put it into a 2.5" enclosure and hooked it up to another PC. It's taken a while to show up the files, but they're there. That means there's life in it, phew! I'm not sure what to do next, to get it back and running in its own machine. Maybe this is all just a loose cable...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Backup your files off the SSD, put it back into your PC and do a clean install of the OS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A second clean install, yeah? Will keep an eye on it and try that if it starts to fall over again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'd also check if there is a firmware upgrade available for your SSD. I think some SSDs had buggy firmware which corrupted drives over time, worth a shot but do a backup firstly before trying anything else! :)

Nick

Advertisement