Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi & Lidl specials - head to head - Thurs 7th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought one of the green crivit cycling jerseys from lidl last year (near top billing on the lidl 'saddle up' link) and it's too tight across the shoulders to use.

i've never really warmed to the idea of buying clothes when you can't try them on beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I'm after the tool kit in aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

So the Germanics are going up against each other on Thursday with their cycling specials. I need a pair of shorts, so I'm wondering if the "Dolomiti seatpad, functional anti-slip hem and Sanitised ActiFresh" from Aldi are worth the €4 extra and the puce green colour?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-7-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/mensladies-team-cycling-shorts/

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=42112

I do find the padding better in the Aldi ones but I need a set of bibs for commuting so will probably have to buy Lidl. Will see what they have on the day.

Don't need jerseys. Maybe some gels for tri stuff. And maybe electrolytes and socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I bought shorts and jerseys in aldi in the past. In general the jerseys are good but my experience was that with shorts/tights, even the ones with better pads, were uncomfortable, not sure if problem was fit or pad placement. In any case they live in the drawer now til I transfer to the bin. Youll often find comparable prices in reduced stock online if you shop around the usual online sites and aren't fussy about colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

sullivlo wrote: »
    I do find the padding better in the Aldi ones but I need a set of bibs for commuting so will probably have to buy Lidl. Will see what they have on the day.

Don't need jerseys. Maybe some gels for tri stuff. And maybe electrolytes and socks.

I like the Aldi eloctrolyte, kind of surprised a tube is more expensive than a tube of High 5 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

i picked up a few boxes of the gels and sports pack on sale in my lidl few weeks ago. box of 30 berr/summer fruits gels, i never want to see a berry or summer fruits gel again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I see the helmet in Lidl is now €20 - weren't the helmets €15 in both Aldi and Lidl in the recent past?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Bought a crivit cycling top & 3/4 length "cycling trousers" in Lidl. Top just doesn't fit well, and the trousers .. well .. the less aid about those the better. They're women's yoga-pants material with "padding"; which is incidentally more likely to slice your thighs apart than do anything else. I've got a pair of Endura Humvee shorts with padded liner and the difference in the padding and quality of the liner material is like night & day. You literally get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Lemming wrote: »
    Bought a crivit cycling top & 3/4 length "cycling trousers" in Lidl. Top just doesn't fit well, and the trousers .. well .. the less aid about those the better. They're women's yoga-pants material with "padding"; which is incidentally more likely to slice your thighs apart than do anything else. I've got a pair of Endura Humvee shorts with padded liner and the difference in the padding and quality of the liner material is like night & day. You literally get what you pay for.
    I don't like the fit of the womens crivit jerseys. Find them very tight on the arms and I'm hulking out of them.

I find the mens jersey fit in Aldi much better - maybe I just have broad shoulders?

I don't use the non-bib version of the lidl shorts as I have a long body so I get builders bum. Nobody wants to see that. I also only ever use the lidl/aldi shorts for commuting - 7km, sometimes extending to 25km if I take the long route. For longer cycles I got some Funkier bib shorts on CRC for half nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What's the advantage of a bib over shorts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Keeps the pad in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Warmer in cold weather.
    No seam chaffing in the belly area..
    They hold position better - some shorts are inclined to slip downwards.

EDIT: they also offer more 'storage' potential for arm warmers/leg warmers, rain cape which can be stuffed inside sides of bibs or at the rear in the small of your back area. Frees up jersey pockets for other items especially on long rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Anyone buy the toolkits before? What's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Anyone buy the toolkits before? What's it like?
    Cheap but does the job. I've had one for years and its still gets wheeled out. Slowly picking up higher spec tools alon the way. If you are only doing basic stuff you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about the floor pump in aldi any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

fryup wrote: »
    how about the floor pump in aldi any good?

I bought one of those floor pumps last year. Not bad; does the job and I've thus far no complaints about it. I'm using it on 26" mtb tyres with presta valves.

bought the tool kit, shorts and gloves in aldi

and gloves, socks and some tabs in lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

dunworth1 wrote: »
    bought the tool kit, shorts and gloves in aldi

and gloves, socks and some tabs in lidl

What colour shorts) looking for the orange but only green in terenure

ankles wrote:

Black ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

dunworth1 wrote: »
    gloves, socks and some tabs in lidl

What are the socks like? More importantly, what is the sock-height? Are they Euro-compliant........??***

Hate when you buy socks that look ok in the packet but are super-stretchy and end up below your knee, or worse, don't stretch at all and end up below your ankle.

And we couldn't be having that.

***Waits for Raam to arrive and announce that any socks purchased in a German discount supermarket chain could never be classed as Euro-compliant***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Lemming wrote: »
    I bought one of those floor pumps last year. Not bad; does the job and I've thus far no complaints about it. I'm using it on 26" mtb tyres with presta valves.

I have 2 of them about 3 years now and they still work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What are the socks like? More importantly, what is the sock-height? Are they Euro-compliant........??***]
    More importantly - do they match your helmet?

The Aldi/Lidl socks are pretty good height wise (about 8-10cm above shoe) but they only seem to come in dark colours which don't match helmets which should always be white or mainly white.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Gt85, use it to shine the bike frame, good n cheap amd does the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

ankles wrote: »

I think the website was misleading. When it said 'green or orange', it really meant 'green with orange trim. I really didn't fancy the puce green, so I went for Lidl shorts instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

EDIT: they also offer more 'storage' potential for arm warmers/leg warmers, rain cape which can be stuffed inside sides of bibs or at the rear in the small of your back area. Frees up jersey pockets for other items especially on long rides.
    I never would have thought of that until I read this , and then later I was watching T Voeckler with about 4 jackets shoved up the legs of his shorts going back to the team car.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

What are the socks like? More importantly, what is the sock-height? Are they Euro-compliant........??***

[/I]

This place sometimes , "euro compliant" about Lidl /Aldi cycling socks
    Heard it all now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just back from ALDI , popped up to get some long sleeve tops. They only had the dodgy looking green Ireland top which didn't impress me.
    So I left empty handed except for
    2 kids wetsuits , gloves , glasses , gt85, muc off spray lube, chocolate crossiantd and a tub of blue berries.

These specials really do get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Popped into Lidl this evening, didn't see anything outstanding in the cycling offers.

Ended up getting a baklava assortment and 4 bottles of Corsendonk dark Belgain beer. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭septern

I picked up an aldi long sleeve top. The package says it's a jacket, but it's more like an autumn jersey. Colour scheme not great but it's a good quality top. Made of good fabric, nice fit + high collar. Good value. Glad I got it

• Advertisement

septern wrote:
    Colour scheme not great

Exactly this

What is it about the lidl and aldi gear that the colours/designs are always crappy

Is it cheaper to get odd colours and weird looking designs?

Advertisement