Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chains: Shimano vs KMC

Options
  • 04-07-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

My chain is almost worn and is in need of replacement.

I've been using Shimano Dura Ace chains for the last couple of years and typically they last around 5,500km. The current one is almost worn (0.75) at 4,500km probably because I've been out in crappier conditions. I clean and lube the chain regularly.

I've read that KMC make chains for Shimano so would I be better off purchasing KMC this time round?

Weight is not a concern as there'll only be a few grams in the difference. What does concern me is chain life and shifting performance.

Any thoughts, 410?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I like the KMC chains, because they have the connector, which is very handy to instal.. Don't know about wear.
    Shifting seems to me to be as good as Shimano.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Yeah same here...very handy with the connector thingy. Wear-wise I didn't find they wore out any quicker (I'm using KMC since 2013) and shifting is very crisp and clean.

But....best thing I like about them is that they scrub up really well and look brand new and shiny when I clean them down (unlike the dull look off a Shimano chain even though you've just cleaned it) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

KMC chains here also, never had a problem and the quick link is great.

Cheaper KMC chains do get darker and rust, while more expensive may be coated, easy to clean and rust free. I'm sure Shimano has different grades of chains too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sorry for going a bit off topic OP but how do you know when to change the chain. Is it when it starts skipping or when it eventually snaps:p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

billyhead wrote: »
    Sorry for going a bit off topic OP but how do you know when to change the chain. Is it when it starts skipping or when it eventually snaps:p

When is slips , you can get a chain Guage for a few euro that tells you when you change it

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/x-tools-chain-wear-indicator/rp-prod10219

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I pulled the trigger on a DA chain today. There wasn't much price difference between the Shimano and KMC so I went with what I was familiar with. I needed to add to my order of SH12 cleats to avail of free shipping and as my current chain is on the wear limit, it was the obvious choice.

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep KMC in mind next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm also a fan of KMC chains (particularly because of the quick link) and use them on all my bikes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SRAM chains have been a winner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm also a fan of KMC chains (particularly because of the quick link) and use them on all my bikes.

I like the idea of the quick links. Are the reusable or do they need to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

crosstownk wrote: »
    I like the idea of the quick links. Are the reusable or do they need to be replaced?

I think the package says up to 3 times, also not reusable on a new chain. It happens you need to break the chain, but not often, you can get these links in pairs for few quid. Sram also do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    The KMC website recommends no more than 3 times but I've opened them many more times without a problem (yet!).

As nordicb says they can be bought separately anyway.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/kmc-chain-connectors/rp-prod25439

Advertisement