Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Claims - Used Car Question

Options
  • 04-07-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi - I recently bought a Used Car from a Dealership based in Drogheda. It entirely broke down and the mechanic has shown evidence of cheap sealer being used to stop oil leaks, signs of a reconditioned engine not communicated at time of sale etc. I understand my rights are stronger having bought from a dealer. There was no warranty at the time of sale but as far as I'm aware this doesn't affect Stat. rights.

I am keen to take this to the Small Claims Court to pursue the dealer for the costs of the repair. My question is can I pay for the repair now as I am inconvenienced without the car, and then subsequently recover the costs. Or do I have to leave the car not repaired until the process is complete and seek the cost of repair after?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

SteveD92 wrote: »
    Hi - I recently bought a Used Car from a Dealership based in Drogheda. It entirely broke down and the mechanic has shown evidence of cheap sealer being used to stop oil leaks, signs of a reconditioned engine not communicated at time of sale etc. I understand my rights are stronger having bought from a dealer. There was no warranty at the time of sale but as far as I'm aware this doesn't affect Stat. rights.

I am keen to take this to the Small Claims Court to pursue the dealer for the costs of the repair. My question is can I pay for the repair now as I am inconvenienced without the car, and then subsequently recover the costs. Or do I have to leave the car not repaired until the process is complete and seek the cost of repair after?

Thank you

Have you asked dealer will he repair the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SteveD92

Thanks for your reply. Yes, simply came back saying "Sold as Seen" and refused to make any contribution to the repair.

It's quite clear that those statements aren't binding, and don't affect statutory rights. I am willing to take this to the SCC, but I am not sure if am allowed to recover the cost of the repair I incur now if I decide to pay for the repair and seek the costs during the claims process?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You're looking for legal advice which can't be given here. Your best bet would be to contact FLAC for some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You bought a car that was clearly second hand. Did you get it inspected by a mechanic pre sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,306 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does the dealer have a proper premises or are they someone selling cars on the side?

• Advertisement
Advertisement