Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping a bitch from my dog's litter; problems with inbreeding?

• 04-07-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

So I've just bred my dog as a stud with someone else's bitch. It was his first time - after a lot of sniffing and mounting, he finally got the job done. We were always considering neutering my dog but we wanted for him to pass on his genes to a new generation before we did that.
    Anyway, we're now considering keeping one of the litter, probably a bitch.
    1. Firstly, could this cause the obvious problem of inbreeding? As in my dog breeding with a birch from the litter (his daughter). Do dogs do this? Would neutering my dog solve this problem?
    2. Also, could there be any problems with having my dog and one of his offspring living together or would they enjoy each other's company?
    3. Could a male dog from the litter be better or would buying a dog/bitch from an entirely different breeder be the best option?
    4. Is a dog/dog, bitch/bitch or dog/bitch combination best?
    Sorry, it's a lot of Qs, but adopting a dog is a huge deal as most of you will agree! I'd appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sorry, I don't understand the last line of your post, in relation to the rest of it, adopting a dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No, you can not mate a dog with its daughter. Getting a dog for free from someone whose bitch yours has bred with is not 'adopting a dog'.

Eta: just to clarify, if both dogs are left to their own devices they physically can and will breed. It is not ethical to allow this to happen and is not allowed by the kennel club or any breed club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

To answer your questions

1. There should be no obvious problem of inbreeding because you would be responsible & keep them apart while the bitch is in heat or better still get both spayed/neutered. Although being honest your very first post about wanting him to pass on his genes without any worries of homes for the other puppies/health testing has me worried about you being responsible.

2. There should hopefully not be a problem with mixed sex dogs, although you don't mention what breed they are. Your dog will probably enjoy the company.

3. Depends on whether you want to breed yourself in the future but personally I would not breed from pet dogs unless proven as working/rare breed or show dogs & that they were assessed as excellent examples of their breed. Again knowing the breed would help.

4. Mixed sex are usually the best combination, how does your dog get on with other male dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I think the OP may be wondering if a dog and his daughter would breed - and yes they would. If you get this dog you need to treat them as you would any other male and female.

spur wrote: »
    I think the OP may be wondering if a dog and his daughter would breed - and yes they would. If you get this dog you need to treat them as you would any other male and female.

I think how the op would treat any other male and and female would be to breed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

1. Firstly, could this cause the obvious problem of inbreeding? As in my dog breeding with a birch from the litter (his daughter). Do dogs do this? yes Would neutering my dog solve this problem? yes
    2. Also, could there be any problems with having my dog and one of his offspring living together or would they enjoy each other's company? should not be a problem if they are neutered(fixed, spayed,getting the chop)
    3. Could a male dog from the litter be better or would buying a dog/bitch from an entirely different breeder be the best option? makes no difference if they are neutered
    4. Is a dog/dog, bitch/bitch or dog/bitch combination best? dog/bitch combinationis most practial IF they are neutered. I have one burning question...why are you breeding when Ireland kills about 12.000 dogs per year?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

By "adopting a dog", I meant obtaining/buying/receiving a dog. If it's not the correct term, feel free to correct me with a more suitable one.

Knine; I'm just wondering why you believe that I have bred my dog "without any worries of homes for the other puppies/health testing"?

Cherry Blossom; "I think how the op would treat any other male and and female would be to breed them", why do you think this?

MrYlad wrote: »
    Cherry Blossom; "I think how the op would treat any other male and and female would be to breed them", why do you think this?

You bred the first one because you wanted carry on his genes before neutering, why would you have a different thought process with other dogs?

You have also demonstrated with your questions that you know very little about dog breeding, it's a safe assumption that you didn't hipscore or undertake other testing for geneticly inheritable health conditions. Did you do these tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

By "adopting a dog", I meant obtaining/buying/receiving a dog. If it's not the correct term, feel free to correct me with a more suitable one.

Adopting a dog usually means getting one from a rescue or pound situation. Breeding or buying is very different. Thats why I was confused, as the rest of your post was about breeding from your own dog and breeding questions. :)

Just as a matter of interest, are you on the puppy contracts that will be going with the pups to the new owners, is it just the owner of the mother that has agreed to take any pups back through their lifetime if necessary, or are you also doing the same? I love when sire owners are responsible breeders, as sometimes the Dam's owners circumstances might change and they can't keep to the contract. Always great to have the double back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

So I've just bred my dog as a stud with someone else's bitch. It was his first time - after a lot of sniffing and mounting, he finally got the job done. We were always considering neutering my dog but we wanted for him to pass on his genes to a new generation before we did that.

Now that you have attained your stated aim of breeding from your dog before neutering in order to pass on his genes, why are you not committed to neutering him at this point? Surely with the job done, he should be neutered well in advance of a new pup coming into your home?

• Advertisement
Advertisement