Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2016, July 5, Stage 4: Saumur / Limoges *SPOILERS*

Options
  • 04-07-2016 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

Date: Tuesday 5th July
    Type: Flattish
    Distance: 237.5Km
    Start/Finish: Saumur / Limoges

Stage Map:
    390791.jpg

Stage Profile:
    390792.jpg

Finale:
    390790.jpg

The General Classification after Stage 3:
    390789.jpg
    Sam has move up 1 place, so no longer holds the Lanterne Rouge :)

Preview (© http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/):
    It’s classed as flat, but has slightly more challenging terrain from about halfway in. The finish is uphill, but not steeply uphill. The stage will probably fall to a sprinter, and the sprinters of the second rank could get a look-in here.

It will take precision timing to win, because uphill sprints are notoriously difficult to get right.

The long distance of this stage shouldn’t be overlooked; 237.5 kilometres is 147 miles. It’s a long way on a bike. If the weather is hot (likely) or cold and wet (unlikely but always possible), it will feel much longer, and more importantly it will have the physiological effect of being longer.

Riding long distances, even when the terrain is undemanding, exacts a toll. The repeated use of the same muscles, those that provide the power for pedalling and those that maintain posture, eventually exhausts riders. The exact process by which this happens is not fully understood yet, but it’s a fact. Add in repeated accelerations, the slog of chasing a breakaway, or the bigger slog of being in one, and the fatigue builds up.

Long stages are mentally tough too. The requirement to concentrate for a long time is draining, but the race favourites and team leaders mustn’t let this affect them. They have to get through stages like this by expending the minimum amount of energy, both physical and mental.

Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data) goes into the stage as the man to beat, having already taken stage one and three in bunch finishes. Stage two winner Peter Sagan (Tinkoff) retains the yellow jersey, with a lead of eight seconds over Julian Alaphilippe (Etixx-QuickStep).

Is the finish too tough for Cavendish to take win number three?

The weather forecast is for sunny spells and light winds.

LIVE TV:
    TG4 - 1.10pm
    Eurosport 1 - 1.00pm
    ITV4 - 2.00pm

HIGHLIGHTS:
    TG4 - 9.00pm
    Eurosport 1 - 6.00pm, 8.00pm
    ITV4 - 7.00pm

LE TOUR BY LEMONDE:
    Eurosport 1 - 11.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The bookies take on tomorrows stage:
    • Peter Sagan 7/2
    • Andre Greipel 4/1
    • Mark Cavendish 7/1
    • Bryan Coquard 8/1
    • Marcel Kittel 10/1
    • Alexander Kristoff 18/1
    • Michael Matthews 18/1
    • Edward Theuns 33/1
    • Greg Van Avermat 40/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Will be at the stage start tomorrow morning in Saumur. Will try and get some pictures and post them on here tomorrow (lack of wifi permitting...).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

5% incline in the last 500m... few oitside shots perhaps?

Alaphillipe @25/1
    Ebh @66/1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

retalivity wrote: »
    5% incline in the last 500m... few oitside shots perhaps?

Alaphillipe @25/1
    Ebh @66/1

EBH @ 66/1 looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

neris wrote: »
    EBH @ 66/1 looks good

Bet365 pulled the market when i returned...waiting for the inplay to go back up now.
    Its also kristoff's bday... might be worth a punt too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

neris wrote: »
    EBH @ 66/1 looks good

EBH is going to be leading out Cav, that's why he is 66/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have to say that village (village martyr oradour sur glane) they showed where in WW2 the men were all lined up and shot, and the women and children put into the church and gassed was something else.
    The village in ruins and left as a reminder. A haunting image.

another photo finish, i think coquard got it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

On screen results say Kittel got it. Couldn't even tell from the overhead shot like yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

that was close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Wow what a finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Stage Results
    15ca5942741c48e28b9048e3467f41af.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

That was a fantastic finish. The bookies were calling it wrong in terms of it being too hard for the total sprinters in favour of Sagan. Kittel 10/1 for a sprint finish?! Unreal odds in ordinary circumstances for a finish that clearly wasn't too hard for the likes of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

HCypHLK.png

Talking about splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Photo Finish-Kittel nearest the camera
    f2418d5ed8354035aa3f07567ce35e78.png

the english rider danny mcclay is having a good tour so far. 3 top tens in the sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I just happened to notice that Rafal Majka is way, way down on the GC (184th at 17'51").

He lost 2'48" on Stage 1. I don't think he fell when Contador did? All the rest of the Tinkoff domestiques didn't lose any time on Stage 1, so I'd be very surprised if Majka burnt himself out getting Contador back in to the peloton after his crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I just happened to notice that Rafal Majka is way, way down on the GC (184th at 17'51").

He lost 2'48" on Stage 1. I don't think he fell when Contador did? All the rest of the Tinkoff domestiques didn't lose any time on Stage 1, so I'd be very surprised if Majka burnt himself out getting Contador back in to the peloton after his crash.

Solo mountain attack coming up so and he will go for the polkas again as bertie likely to withdraw or not push for gc contention due to time loss and body damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I am enjoying the finishes But my patriotic self is :-( sad thinking about how much more exciting it would be seeing Sam around in the last few km.

Is it just me or did it look as though Cocquard was mashing too big a gear? I reckon that he could have won that but for using the wrong gear?

• Advertisement

Was up at 5.30 this morning for a one hour drive and then just over an hour from Nantes to Saumur for the stage start. Well worth it though - even without any sun. Saumur is a really beautiful town and the Loire Valley itself is definitely somewhere I'll come back to. Great atmosphere too with the locals coming out to support the Tour. The publicity caravan and the anticipation was prob better than the event itself though! Nothing will compare to a previous experience of the 2004 Alpe D'Huez time trial with LA beating Ulrich et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Is it just me or did it look as though Cocquard was mashing too big a gear? I reckon that he could have won that but for using the wrong gear?

The rate he was making up the ground on Kittel looked like he should have won but he started going a bit all over the place at the death - I suppose as his body closed in on a heart-attack! Whether twas about the gear or not I've no idea.

edit: That could be doing a bit of a disservice to Kittel though . . . just remembering Cavendish talking a while back of thinking he had Kittel in a sprint only for Kittel to be able to go again, something Cav said he used to be able to do himself but now couldn't.

image_zpskvzved1g.jpeg

image_zpsamgxn5tt.jpeg

image_zps1jvftc24.jpeg

image_zpsp7i5ech6.jpeg

image_zpss4ef7jpi.jpeg

image_zpsohf53mov.jpeg

image_zpsabosh9t4.jpeg

image_zpshxdccain.jpeg

image_zps7e1xofke.jpeg

image_zpss4ef7jpi.jpeg

image_zpsohf53mov.jpeg

image_zpsabosh9t4.jpeg

image_zpshxdccain.jpeg

image_zps7e1xofke.jpeg

image_zpsif8gd6rf.jpeg

image_zps3iuknkku.jpeg

image_zpsvynbddkm.jpeg

image_zpsnysoiwuq.jpeg

image_zpsk5lfeejb.jpeg

image_zpsjyrb46bi.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Those bright green chin straps on the helmets of the Cannondale riders are seriously fugly.

Those bright green chin straps on the helmets of the Cannondale riders are seriously fugly.

They really do take away from an otherwise beautiful helmet don't they!

• Advertisement

And the socks belong on a golf course. Big happy head on what looks like adam hansen.

Advertisement